"I don't care that my PC has viruses"

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dpaanlka, Nov 12, 2006.

1. dpaanlka macrumors 601

Nov 16, 2004
    So this kid that lives in the dorm next to me said i could use his PC to print something since I have no ink. So I launch IE to get to our school's blackboard system. Apparently that was way, wayyyyy to much for the PC to handle. I then clicked on the Start Menu.... 45 seconds later when it appeared, i selected Firefox. Around this time I start telling this kid about how he must have a lot of malware. In the activity monitor thing sure enough like 10 processes with names I couldn't recognize, including "pr0n explorer" were running. While I was looking at this Firefox stopped responding. I start ending tasks and the kid gets super defensive for some reason, telling me to "stop." I'm like "look you can have all your tasks back when you restart." Finally im like oh forget it this things such a POS to begin with, and I add "I cant get anything done so I might as well not even bother." Hes like "I get stuff done all the time." So i challenge him to show me.

Then he goes off insisting that he doesnt care his PC has viruses, and looks at other people in the room and rolls his eyes as if to suggest that I'm an idiot for being upset about how slow a computer is. And so I choose not to verbally continue to debate the situation, but i cant help myself but wonder, how can seombody just not care???

I mean, I couldn't even get to the web site to download a document I needed to print! That is pretty bad if you ask me. And this isn't the first time I've been negatively affected by this guys computer... a week or so ago my roommate was up early and instead of waking me up, chose to go to this other guys room and print (which of course he couldn't) so he came back and woke me up at 7 AM to print his document in a hurry because he was going to be late for class (because he wasted so much time on our neighbors PC trying to get it to work).

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Jul 22, 2005
  3. thedude110 macrumors 68020

Jun 13, 2005
    Seems like he's awfully defensive, maybe because he doesn't know much about computers and feels vulnerable/insecure about them.

See if you can get him to go to the Help Desk, at least.
  4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

Jun 27, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    And then there are the people who say that their computer doesn't have viruses when it has a multitude of them. It's just people being defensive. They see something superior and then they want to defend their "equal" investment.
  5. Kolind macrumors regular

Nov 2, 2006
    You might want to refer him to http://housecall.trendmicro.com

Then he can just run the scan a couple of times - that should clean most of it, of course if he doesn't care then there might be no point. But for your own sake as well, see if you can get him to run it.
  6. Grakkle macrumors 6502a

Oct 6, 2006
    Poor, poor misguided fellow... PC users really do accept that kind of thing, though. It just seems normal when it happens every day.
  7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    I agree with you completely, but pr0n explorer is a legitimate application. :mad: God, I couldn't live without pr0n explorer. :D
  8. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

Jan 10, 2006
    Pr0n explorer? Defensive? Slow internet connection?

Me thinks he was downloading a ton of 'pr0n' and was pissed because you stopped his 'task'.

Either that or hes a dumbass :D
  9. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    Hah. That's the first time I've ever heard of that happening. I mean my girlfriends computer is recked, USB "disconnects" automatically, viruses everywhere. Total mess and she knows it, but she can't do anything about it "I don't have any hard drive space left for AVG" and of course she can't defrag. Same goes for a mate, his laptop is near enough broke. Lovely Windows :)
  10. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Don't think that it's that unusual.

I have colleagues at work who complain that their PCs are slow, that they have pop-ups etc but their method of dealing with it seems to be just to use their PC less - ie only for essential tasks - since they figure it will be too hard to clean it up.
  11. Kolind macrumors regular

Nov 2, 2006
    Just quoting myself here... send all your PC-friends to that website and have them do a scan, it might take a hour or two, but they don't need to buy anything or do anything but press a few buttons.
    It can remove most things, and the stuff it can't remove it'll still find, and then it's up to people if they want to bother actually removing it or not.
  12. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Oct 9, 2006
    well in the kid defences you where messing around in the task manager ending processes. People do not like there computer being messed with by any one else because well it is theirs not yours. I know my computer I don't like people going into folders unless I know where they are going. I don't like them touching any settings (even if it can be change back in 3 secs, it the principal here.) The reasons he got so defensive was because you where messing around on his computer and NO ONE like that.

Now that all be said I willing to bet he has a lot of viruses on his computer and a good scan would more than likely find 50+ viruses (50 being a low end prediction) and god knows how much crap would be found by spy bot or ad-aware.
  13. KingYaba macrumors 68040

Aug 7, 2005
    Up the irons