I don't get airpot express...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by golfguru, Jan 18, 2005.

1. golfguru macrumors newbie

Jan 18, 2005
    Can you hook up air tunes to a stereo, a printer, and a cable connection all at the same time? Also, is there a spot to charge a laptop or ipod? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but the web site makes it seem like you can only do one at a time.

Thanks in advance,
  2. maya macrumors 68040

Oct 7, 2004
    somewhere between here and there.
    Yes, AirPort Express will:

connect to your stereo system via analog or digital connection.

connect to your USB printer.

can be used as a router and(or) a wireless extender point.

As far as the iPod and notebook issues go its a NEGATIVE. :)
  3. golfguru thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 18, 2005
  4. maya macrumors 68040

Oct 7, 2004
    somewhere between here and there.
    YES. :)
  5. ephex macrumors member

Oct 24, 2004
    That Airport Express is one awesome peice of hardware... Only thing that sucks is the ten user limit but I'll never go above that because of our wired network.
  6. roadapple macrumors regular

Oct 21, 2004
    I agree, after the g5 imac, this is the best piece of hardware apple has released in over a year. Works without effort with osx and xp, shares a usb printer and can stream itunes to a nice set of speakers. It fits in your hand and can travel easily with your laptop. ipods are cool but this little guy lives up to apples reputation for function, style and ease of use.

And I think it was released on its own (not at an expo) so there is hope for this spring!
  7. joshua_msu macrumors regular

Aug 5, 2004
    chicago (formerly detroit)
    Whats the difference between the AirPort Express Base Station with AirTunes and the AirPort Extreme Base Station? It seems like they are the same thing but the Extreme costs 70 dollars more. All it seems to have extra is a modem. Am I missing something?
  8. stubeeef macrumors 68030

Aug 10, 2004
    I have 3 expresses strewn about the house, 1 next to the cable modem in a pantry, another upstairs in the bonus room to extend the network and has a common printer on it, and a 3rd with a monster optical cable to the stero.

As an example, it tooks less than 10min out of the box (including a firmware update) to playing music over my surround system. I realize there are less expensive products, but I am not a real techie, and hate wasting time trying to figure the damn things out, so more money to make it easy is a no-brainer for me!

I have had zero down time attributed to my expresses in the 4+months up on line! :)
  9. wPod macrumors 68000

Aug 19, 2003
    Denver, CO
    the extreme doesnt have an audio out. it can allow more than 10 users. it has an external antena jack. it has a modem. it has an extra ethernet port if you need a wired connection. other than that its pretty much the same. but you get more powerful of a basestation with the extreme.
  10. daveL macrumors 68020

Jun 18, 2003
    can't see why you couldn't charge an iPod over the USB port, although I haven't tried it.
  11. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

Apr 5, 2004
    Huntsville, AL
    It'll charge the 4G iPod, iPod photo, and iPod mini.

Yes, I tried.