I dont' get it, G5 2.7 permissions, please help.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by powermac_daddy, Dec 30, 2005.

1. powermac_daddy macrumors 6502

powermac_daddy

i don't really understand these permissions. I tried to repair them, but then they showed up again when i hit "Repair Disk Permissions". I noticed that there are more stuff showed up in that list than a few month ago.

Can someone help, tell me what's going on?

Do i need to re-install Tiger? Any suggestions?

Thank you!

-------------------
    Determining correct file permissions.
    We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Dictionary.wdgt/Dictionary.js. New permissions are 33188
    We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Dictionary.wdgt/Dictionary.widgetplugin/Contents/Info.plist. New permissions are 33188
    We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Dictionary.wdgt/Dictionary.widgetplugin/Contents/MacOS/Dictionary. New permissions are 33261
    We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Dictionary.wdgt/Dictionary.widgetplugin/Contents/version.plist. New permissions are 33188
    We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Dictionary.wdgt/Info.plist. New permissions are 33188
    We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Dictionary.wdgt/version.plist. New permissions are 33188
    We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Flight Tracker.wdgt/FlightTracker.js. New permissions are 33188
    We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Flight Tracker.wdgt/FlightTrackerComboBoxPlugin.plugin/Contents/Info.plist. New permissions are 33188
    We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Flight Tracker.wdgt/FlightTrackerComboBoxPlugin.plugin/Contents/MacOS/FlightTrackerComboBoxPlugin. New permissions are 33261
    We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Flight Tracker.wdgt/FlightTrackerComboBoxPlugin.plugin/Contents/version.plist. New permissions are 33188
    We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Flight Tracker.wdgt/Info.plist. New permissions are 33188
    We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Flight Tracker.wdgt/parser.js. New permissions are 33188
    We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Flight Tracker.wdgt/version.plist. New permissions are 33188
    We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Stickies.wdgt/Info.plist. New permissions are 33188
    We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Stickies.wdgt/Stickies.js. New permissions are 33188
    We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Stickies.wdgt/version.plist. New permissions are 33188
    We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Unit Converter.wdgt/Info.plist. New permissions are 33188
    We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Unit Converter.wdgt/UnitConverter.js. New permissions are 33188
    We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Unit Converter.wdgt/parser.js. New permissions are 33188
    We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Unit Converter.wdgt/version.plist. New permissions are 33188
    We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets. New permissions are 16877
    We are using a special gid for the file or directory ./System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/MacOS/Dock. New gid is 0
    We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/MacOS/Dock. New permissions are 33261
    We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./usr/lib/php/build/Makefile.global. New permissions are 33060
    We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./usr/lib/php/build/acinclude.m4. New permissions are 33060
    We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./usr/lib/php/build/mkdep.awk. New permissions are 33060
    We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./usr/lib/php/build/phpize.m4. New permissions are 33060
    We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./usr/lib/php/build/scan_makefile_in.awk. New permissions are 33060

Permissions repair complete
    The privileges have been verified or repaired on the selected volume

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

There is nothing wrong. You don't have to reinstall anything.

3. powermac_daddy thread starter macrumors 6502

powermac_daddy

ok... the computer seens a little slower than before... just a little. It takes longer to load up dreamweaver... vectorworks.... or even to start/shut down the compuer.

Ok, well... maybe it's time. re-install, format hard drive, clean stuff up?

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

How many times do I have to say it? No. You have shown nothing wrong with your computer. You are running MacOS X, not Windows. The solution to every problem is not wipe and reinstall. If you want to spend your time futzing with your computer, download and install OnyX. You can find it at VersionTracker. This free utility should keep your Mac humming.

5. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

Perfectly normal...

The sky is NOT falling. It's NOT a tumor. Your computer is perfectly normal. Your permissions are exactly the way they're supposed to be. Your computer is running at full speed (which is about 20x faster than mine!) You have nothing to worry about. BTW, these file permissions are exactly the reason why you will never need to reinstall OSX. These file permissions make it impossible to accidently screw your core files up. WinXP somehow never quite figured that out.

6. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

I think they did, but "ran out of time" so they didn't include it. :rolleyes:

7. powermac_daddy thread starter macrumors 6502

powermac_daddy

thank you for all the suggestions.

happy new year!

8. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

9. croshtique macrumors 6502

Disk Utility isn't repairing these permissions each time; it's just informing you that special permissions are used on them. That's why they keep coming up every time :)

10. powermac_daddy thread starter macrumors 6502

powermac_daddy

yeah the onyx is pretty cool.
    thank you guys again for the tips.
    sorry i'm not super good at Mac. Be paitent. :)

Well, I'm waiting the intel/mac ibook now. can i use adobe cs, studio 8... etc etc... on the intel/mac ibook? the same programs that i have on my G5 now. Or do i need to get new softwares just for the intel/mac? what is the deal?

also, i'm wondering if G5's ram price is going down anytime soon.....