I don't hate the icons, but I thought I'd have a go?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by lewismayell, Jun 13, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502a

So, this is my first time using Photoshop for about 2 years and I'm trying to make a few icons, I don't think I'm better than Jony or anything I'm just trying to make things, any feedback for me? Constructive criticism?

Obviously this is only a work in progress, I've probably been working on these for about 3 hours now and I just wanna know what you think at this point.

Thanks for having a look.

(Wallpaper behind my icons isn't something I made) (I also think the icons have been slightly rounded so mine are a bit different)

1st pic - Original
    2nd pic - Original with my icons
    3rd pic - My icons with non of the original stuff

Attached Files:

2. macrumors 6502a

3. macrumors G3

I don't think you improved it; Gamecenter is not a chess game and App Store is not a writing app.

4. macrumors 6502a

5. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Neither is it 4 bubbles

----------

That's fine, but why not? What can I improve?

6. macrumors 603

Game Center is more like 4 bubbles than a chess piece. You did a nice job, I just prefer the iOS 7 icons.

7. macrumors 6502

Both are ugly. The main problem is the white icon background arbitrary selected.

8. thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure how that represents a game at all, as well as them having a non 'flat' shine on them

9. macrumors G3

[​IMG]

Still don't see the connection between the icon and the app?

----------

GC is not a game, its a social app.

10. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, they show scores and stuff but they still carry no actual connection to a game, it may be social, but the old app had chess pieces and green felt etc.

11. macrumors 6502a

LMAO besides the Safari app, you "fixed" the apps that were the best looking. Put the ones you did back to normal and try the Settings, Reminders, Newsstand and Safari. Also, don't use such a harsh shadow.

12. thread starter macrumors 6502a

I didn't say I fixed anything, and yes I know

13. macrumors G3

The old app looked like a 4-in-1 game pack.

14. ajvizzgamer101, Jun 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2013

macrumors 6502a

Not sure if you know this or not.. Some of the app icons are representative of the apps home screen. So when you press the app icon it looks like it's zooming in on to the page.

15. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Except the Game Centre home screen where the bubbles are in a different size and colour order than on the icon

16. macrumors 6502a

Overall - shadows are too heavy.

Messages - overlapping bubbles don't look like anything without some sort of differentiation between the two.

Notes - preferred the thinner lines and light touch of the original.

Game Center - agreed it looks like too much of a game.

iTunes - prefer the original, intersection of circle and notes looks sloppy.

App Store - not representative of its contents, single pencil generally identifies "Edit" in most glyph contexts.

17. macrumors 6502a

You were just making a point the bubbles did not work for the Game Center app icon. Which implies you had an issues and you had the urge to fix it. Does it not? :)

18. macrumors 603

Well it doesn't zoom into a chess piece, that's for sure. :)

19. macrumors G3

So you'd be fine if that detail was corrected. The current icon has more to do with the app than a specific representation of a type of game.

Then again, what does a big F have to do with the most popular social media app?

20. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes and no, I don't like the bubble texture, the actually colour and circles is fine, the chess piece was just a quick way of making change, I couldn't use my awful Photoshop ability to make any decent looking similar icon with the texture I wanted

----------

Ok, thankyou

21. macrumors 603

The name is Facebook and the "f" is the logo that represents/stands for the name. Not sure if you were being serious there or not.

22. macrumors G3

Look, you make a post where you are fixing issues you see, and by offering alternate icons you are trying to fix them, you are asking for criticism. I think its obvious that MR people are very opinionated about the iOS interface so don't take any of this personally.

Imagine how Ive feels.

23. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Even if he wasn't serious, an F doesn't represent any type of social media

----------

Only one person actually gave constrictive criticism, I have no issue with pointing out problems, all I'm trying to do is familiarise myself with Photoshop

24. macrumors G3

I was having a little fun, but the point is that an icon doesn't have to be a exact representation of a game icon for people to know what it does. If you had never used either before the Facebook icon could easily be the Flipboard icon; at least the flipboard icon carries the metaphor of flippable panels over better than the facebook icons does social media.

25. macrumors 6502