Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

d4rkn1ght

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2006
Applespider said:
I did say pre-OS X over XP. I'd say Win 95 (clean install)/System 7 would be a push depending on what I was trying to do. Catching system extension conflicts was never nice... and that darned system bomb with the tempting button that did nothing, wasn't much better than the blue screen of death.

I Don't Hate Windows 95 I Just Like System 7 Better!! :D

Paimon

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2006
I don't mind either.

OS X has a few problems but generally speaking things just 'work.' The OS is nice looking and gives you little hassle with applications and hardware.

Windows used to be a complete nightmare but I actually don't mind XP, aside from the viruses anyway. It's usable, crashes infrequently and is relatively painless to navigate. Hopefully Vista will continue the improvement.

Truth be told I'd much rather be using a Mac, but the software availability / price points make it pretty even in my mind.

Now what I truly don't understand is why someone would inconvienience themselves with Linux which is not only extremely annoying to use, but has next to no software available. The worst of both worlds.

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
dmw007 said:
Same here- I would much rather use an old Mac than a new Windoze machine. :)
they are pretty much the same thing, aren't they? i mean, windows is that far behind :p

I installed expee on my MacBook a few weeks ago.
• I had to re-format the HDD to put windows on it. I dont know why, but it was no biggie; just back everything up, erase, re-format, put everything back on. Including re-installing OS X, this took me about 2-3 hrs to do.
• Installed BootCamp. Easy as easy.
• Installed expee. It took aagggeess to get the files in order, the installing process made me believe i was looking at Matrix code, and confused the hell out of me ("Agree, press F8." wtf? how about those two "yes" keys, enter and return?)
• Set up the OS. I want everything in English - Australian rather than US. Also, what could loosely be called the GUI was the same as the pre-expee era (grey boxes with black "shadows".) Didn't have support for the graphics card, so any movement was painfully slow.
• its finally loaded! YAY! now for drivers. I saw a USB Video device was being recognised, so i tried to open it while installing drivers. Black screen. Restart. "There was a major problem with XP. Please re-insert the install disc to correct this error (sic)". So i did. i couldn't show it where the OS was. Back into MacOS to erase the partition, and try again. GAH!!!
• Repeat everything again, but i didn't touch anything while the drivers were being installed :p

I couldnt face having a virus on the computer, so i didnt connect it to the internet. After about a dozen restarts, the OS was in some kind of usable form. It gave me the irrates, and also i only had 45GB on my Mac OS partition, 15 of it was in apps and 10 in iTunes media, so i felt kinda cramped. I decided i could easily live without expee.
Ive installed both OSes more than once, and having done so only made me realise just how much i love the Mac OS. A mate of mine is a PC fanboy, and he said himself, "i like windows better because it has more holes i can mess around with".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.