I don't know about the warm heart, but I DO have cold hands

Discussion in 'Community' started by Thomas Veil, Dec 28, 2004.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I'm the kind of person whose hands are always cold.

Right now I'm in the market for a pair of winter gloves. My last pair is shot, and I've never really owned a pair that kept my hands warm for very long.

Any suggestions on brands that are particularly good? And where did you buy them? I'm even willing to entertain the idea of mittens if they'll just keep my darned hands warm! :D

2. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

look in to skiing gloves... i love the ones i have and cant think of the brand off the top of my head... will repost if i can think of it...

3. dotnina macrumors 6502a

You're even willing to consider mittens, eh? :D

I can't help much in gloves department, but I'd suggest getting a pair of mittens with the fingertips cut off. I bought a pair recently and I've found them invaluable on cold days. You can still type on a computer, push elevator buttons and use the TV remote, all while keeping your hands warm. :D

Actually, I bet there's even gloves with the fingertips cut off. I can't recommend a brand, but I definetely recommend the sort of thing I've described, if only as a backup to your primary pair of hand warmers.

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

As someone who once worked at one of the fancy, higher-end sports stores in the province of Ontario in Canada, I can think of a few brands that may do the job. However, you should get mitts if your warmth is so bad.

A great brand is Grandoe. They're owned by a skiwear company called Phenix, who provides skiwear to the Norwegian ski team, if I recall correctly. They use Primaloft in their gloves and mitts. It's basically the equivalent of synthetic down, so its like having a down-filled pair of mitts that can get wet and not ruin easily.

Primaloft is the insulation you're after. Thinsulate won't cut the mustard. Don't get ski gloves. You can go with brands other than Grandoe, but I used to get customers with Reynauds disease who swear by Grandoe Mitts to keep their hands warm. Kombi also make gloves and mitts with Primaloft insulation.
    Normally, if MY hands get cold in the winter, my hands will heat up in 5-10 minutes after I go into a heated room or house. People with Reynauds have hands and feet that take over an hour for their hands to warm up after coming into a warm room from the outside. So sufferers can't really afford to get cold, because it means that every time they get cold, their hands won't heat up for an hour or 2.

There are different costs for different levels of warmth, but the "2nd worst" pair are great for most people who get cold easily. Plus they're not bulky, and don't cost $120-150 like the very expensive pairs.

5. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

There are also these little packets that you can shake and will heat themselves up. They're nice, and called something like HotHands. Works good to drop one in a boot, too!

6. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I should've been a little more specific. My problem is mostly when I'm outside. It takes only ten minutes or so for my fingers to start getting numb from the cold.

Abstract, your recommendations sound very good. I'll look for some of those brands with Primaloft insulation. (Yes, my previous gloves were Thinsulate, and they didn't help much.)

I've seen those heated packets, and they sound great. I'm going to try them sometime when I'm going to be in the cold for hours, like when I'm attending a December football game.

Thanks for the advice, all. I appreciate it.

Oh, and dotnina...maybe I'll get a pair of "Bob Cratchit" gloves for indoors. :D

7. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

No, no, no! Is nobody else here a skier? My best gloves were from Cloudveil- a Jackson Hole based company. They make leather/synthetic gloves and mitts that are super warm.You might also want to check out Arc'teryx....kind of expensive, but they make some of the best softgoods money can buy. I've worn gloves from both companies that can keep your hands toasty 10,000 ft up on an exposed cliff face in a blizzard.

Cloudveil Troller

Arc'Teryx Stinger

Good luck.

8. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I wear "Thinsulates" I believe are what they're called. Pretty good, though my hands seem to go numb randomly regardless of temperature.

9. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Not to be negative, but I am thinking bad circulation. Start some cardio after getting advice from a Doctor. I lost my Dad to a stroke, it's not pleasant.

Ok, this post is not at all positive, but honestly, consult a PhD on this one.

10. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Yeah, bad circulation that's it. Though it's great when playing bloody knuckles or the like ;P

11. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

I bought a pair of leather gloves from LL Beans about a month ago...lined with Primaloft. I believe the cost was about $45 and my hands have yet to really get cold. Haven't spent a ton of time outside in the cold, but I did go to a Patriots home game earlier this month and used them. It was cold, but not bone-numbing, and my hands stayed warm.

I guess it depends on what you're planning on doing. Outdoor sports, shovelling snow, snowball fights, rock climbing, or spectator sports. Mittens will keep your hands warmer, but you lose the dexterity.

12. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

...and the street-cred. :)

13. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Until Apple announces the iMitt (for iPod use in cold weather) at MWSF.... ;)

14. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

i too always have cold hands, thsu anything i touch bar ice feels warm, i never get cold myself it's just the way my body temp is.

15. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Oh yeah, I recently broke down and told the parents I needed a wrist watch. I remembered the reason I stopped wearing one. It makes my hand numb. Oh well, usually only if I sleep with it on.