I don't know how to keep safe!

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by markjones05, Oct 6, 2006.

1. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

I am getting a new macpro come friday and plan on using bootcamp to install windows xp on a seperate hard drive. The thing is I have been using macs for so long I have no idea how to keep a windows machine safe from spyware, viruses and the like. Can anyone tell me what the must haves are in order to keep my machine safe? Is it possible for a virus to spread from my windows installed hard drive to my osx hard drive?

2. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

You're going to need a firewall, (although xp has one built-in, it only monitors traffic one way), a trusty antirivirus (I recommend AVG, it's free and works fine), an anti-spyware program (ad-aware and spybot will do), and common sense;)

Viruses can in theory get onto your mac partition, but they can't do anything because they won't work on a mac! :D

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I didn't think you COULD install Windows XP on a USB drive and boot your using it/BootCamp.
    I'm almost positive that you can't do it on a firewire drive.

Pretty much no. Windows cannot see/read/write to HFS+, so no virus (unless VERY specially crafted) can effect your OS X install.
    Someday.. but not now and unlikely in the near future.

4. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

And which was is that? I know it monitors outgoing traffic and it would be pretty useless as a firewall if it didn't monitor incoming traffic, so...

5. ruutiveijari macrumors regular

It monitors both ways of course.

6. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

In addition to the other suggestions, you might want to give Spyware Guard and Spyware Blaster a look, I've had good results with these... Also, use Firefox or some other browser besides Internet Explorer.

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/products.html