I don't know how to uninstall

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ThinkingMac, Jul 14, 2004.

1. ThinkingMac macrumors member

I have made the move from Windows to Mac with a new 15in powerbook And I must say how much better MOST of it is. Can anyone tell me how to un install stuff I don’t want, like OS9 and Garage Band as I need every bit of disk space I can get. Any other stuff I should delete to free up space. I am a photographer and my images eat space for breakfast.

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

You can delete OS 9 (keep in mind, this will preclude you from running Classic) by dragging the System Folder to the trash. You can delete Garageband by doing the same. Just move the file/folder you want to the trash, and "empty trash" to finally remove it. No uninstallers, no registry to clean up, no crap left everywhere. Just that simple.

paul

3. ThinkingMac thread starter macrumors member

Mac's are so simple it's confusing me !!

Thanks for that.. I don't know why it took me so long to make the move, AND How good is Safari, I love it. Now if only someone would make a better program than Office 2004 I could get Gates out of my life for GOOD !!

4. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

What about the stuff in ~/Library/ApplicationSupport ?

5. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

In Finder, search (command F) for the app you want to delete. Garage Band, for instance, is a very small app (20MB or so) but it installs several gigabytes of stuff in ApplicationSupport. So search for the app and delete everything that comes up--application, preference files, support files, help files, installer packages, update receipts.

6. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Thanks Horror. I already knew that. I was trying to make a point that deleting just the app, in most cases, isn't sufficient. It would be nice to have an uninstaller facility like windows :eek: but we mac users are sophisticated and know where to find everything ;)

7. blueturtles macrumors newbie

blueturtles

how to uninstall mac

thank you for that answer, which came before i even asked my question. just switched from a pc too and i've been wondering how to delete all these programs i've been installing. i love how mac is so simple!

8. advres Guest

advres

Keyboard shortcut for you noobs

Hey newbies, Here is a nice keyboard shortcut when you are on a mad trashing binge. Command (which is the apple key)+delete, puts anything highlighted into the trash without you having to drag it there. Command+Shift+Delete empties the trash for you.

learn your shortcuts!

9. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

i have always just manual removed things (as described above) or if you get into trouble (or feel like having more power) go to terminal and use the rm command (if you dont know what that is just type 'man rm' (w/o quotes) ) keep in mind the rm command if you ever have trouble emptying a file from the trash (wich will likely come up at some point in time)