I don't know what to do with an old Powerbook.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by chepistolas, Oct 16, 2007.

1. macrumors member

Apr 21, 2005
    I am about to buy a new MBP 15" to replace my old 1.33 17" Powerbook that I am currently using, but I don't know what to do with the Powerbook. I am getting a new one because I don't like taking my 17" everywhere, and I need to test my websites under windows and linux.

It can sit at home connected to the powercord, but what uses can it offer besides the basic things a dedicated server can do?! (which I have) I don't have an hdtv and it has a small 80Gb HD. I doubt I can get serious money for it, so selling it is out of the question. I want to keep it in house, so unless I give it to a close family member, giving it away is out of the question.

Im curious to know what you guys have done with your old Powerbooks.
  2. macrumors regular

Dec 12, 2006
    London, UK
    Put it in the kitchen. Check your email and read Macrumors whilst eating breakfast! :eek:
  3. Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    Make a WiFi picture frame? :eek: :eek:

I've actually always wanted to do that....
  4. macrumors 6502

Jun 14, 2004
    What do you call serious money. 17" models will pull almost $1000. I've been scouring ads for powerbooks for the past few weeks and while the 1.33 isn't worth quite as much, the fact that it's a 17" bumps it up to at least 800 I would think, depending on the other parts of the computer.
  5. macrumors 68020

Sep 3, 2004
    London, UK
    That's what I always do with my old computers. There's always a family member or a friend who could use it. I'm fixing up an old Pismo Powerbook to give to my niece right now.
  6. macrumors 6502a

Jan 4, 2006
    Honolulu, HI
    Macbreak Tech did a spot on this very subject. They came up with around 15 different uses for an old Mac. Grab their podcast for more info. I believe it was around 3 weeks ago.
  7. macrumors 6502

Oct 14, 2007
    Indianapolis, IN
    personally i would use it to experiment with different flavors of linux, but thats just me

but search google there are probably a few things you could find about it

if all else fails, give it away or sell it (you could probably make a decent amount of money off of it, depending on its condition)
  8. macrumors 6502a

Jan 20, 2007
    as someone already said... i am not sure what you call serious money, but ....

same model, 3 DAYS left and a bid at 500. I've seen those goes for over 1k depending on the condition. I dunno about you, but I call anything over 500 pretty serious cash, ESPECIALLY when a new mbp just entered the picture and took a nice chunck of change out of your wallet.

If not... I vote for the modding and hanging it on your wall as a 17inch wireless picture frame/music player hehe.