I don't like george w bush because...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by lost_in_space, Jun 16, 2004.

1. lost_in_space macrumors newbie

hello, i'm lost_in_space and i'm a mac-newbie. i have to admit that i am impressed with the knowledge that most of you have displayed in this forum through your posts and i am looking forward to learning from everyone.

please let me know what your thoughts are on gw...
    i respect all points of view...i just don't think all of them are right or well informed... :D
    i personally think he's an inarticulate baboon, who rode his daddy's coat-tails in to a preemptive war. I also think he the idiot that wrongly pushed for and implemented the farcical idea of standardized tests and screwed up the economy…discuss

2. FritzTheWonderM macrumors member

yawn... I think you watch too much television and have never learned to think for yourself.

3. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Yup. Can you say CNN?

4. lost_in_space thread starter macrumors newbie

i'm sorry, i wasn't clear...i mean i'm impressed with the knowledge about macs and mac products...i want to know more about what i can do with the wonderful equipment i have. since i know that most of you are articulate, i figured i could get some varied feedback on our current administration...and not just syndicate news channels echoing themselves. i didn't mean to bore any of you.

humbly :eek: ,
    l.i.s.

5. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

Personally, I think anyone that has an ounce of respect left for George W. Bush has their eyes and ears firmly shut. I can't express how excited I am for the chance to get him out of here in November.

Lee Tom

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

This isn't about whether we like Dubya or not. It's about whether we agree or disagree with his actions and policies. How you feel about him personally, I could care less.

And starting threads with such an inflamatory headline with no substance to back up the claim isn't the best way to jump into the political forum. Just FYI.

7. professor macrumors newbie

You meant to say, "...the wonderful equipment I have on my desk". Right? ;)

8. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

I don't like him, and I REALLY don't like his policies. No Child Left Behind is one thats terrible but doesn't get as much attention as the bigger issues, I'm glad you tangentally mentioned it.

9. lost_in_space thread starter macrumors newbie

although i respect your opinion, i think it definitely has something to do with the way you feel about a person. intuition is an asset that humans often overlook. person's actions are often a reflection of their personality, don't you think?

as far as being inflammatory...it's a POLITICAL FORUM...you'll always come across subjects that stir up emotions and ideas. is bush too heavy a subject to broach? i think not.

humbly,
    l.i.s.

10. lost_in_space thread starter macrumors newbie

well, since i have a 17" and i carry it around, it's not accurate to say that i have it, "on my desk"...but i thank you for the quick lesson in grammar. i have seven different languages going on in my head…i tend to get them confused. :p

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

If you come here just to trade opinions, you won't get very far. You need links.

12. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I think you missed the subtlety of Professor's point... ;)

13. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

I agree with mactastic on this one. If you look over the threads which get a lot of posts on this forum, they are generally not one-sided left-leaning topics. "GWB Sucks!" or something similar in the topic will have the righties on this forum speedily looking away, effectively killing any good debate. I actually wish the lefties on this forum would disagree more. That would help make more good debates, I'd think.

Taking a more centrist slant, or addressing specific issues or behavior is the way to go in these forums I think. I tend to post issues that are important to me and keep them specific. I've noticed the more left-leaning the topic (or the more left-leaning my presentation of that topic), the less notice it gets.

And maybe that's the way it should be. Shun the extremists! :p

Taft

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

On the contrary, engage the extremists. Actually, I haven't got anyone on my ignore list now: Voltron has become more thoughtful in his posts, and we need an opposing view to stimulate fact-checking and research. He has also demonstrated a sense of humour, which helps.

15. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

I have to agree with you. Opposing view prevents extremism. I'd hate to think what this world would be like if we were all conservative or all liberal. Having opposing view points also means I check and double check before I post. I tend not to question as much those who I agree with :eek: not a good habit but it is easy to get lazy. Voltron brings up good points and while I may not agree with his conclusions he has actually helped me to better define and shape my own opinions and understandings on things.

16. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well I'm certainly not arguing against engaging the extremists, but just to keep the inflammatory rhetoric down. It just seemed like an overly broad and needlessly inflammatory thread. Discuss why we disagree with, or 'don't like' George W. Bush? Come on, there are books written about the matter. Not to mention the many threads in this forum alone.

Pick a specific topic and debate it. lost_in_space even comes close by mentioning standardized tests (which there is already a current thread on BTW), pre-emptive war, trashing the economy, and becoming president because of who his father is rather than who he is. All fine topics, but too much for one thread, particularly with no new insight (an article you found enlightening, breaking news etc.) as a basis for discussion.

This forum shouldn't be about Bush-bashing or Kerry-hating or the like. It should be an issue-based debate, not an echo chamber for either side.

Sorry for the rant.

17. numediaman macrumors 6502a

While you all engage in a Slyhunter love fest (yuck), I want to add this . . .

this is why I can't stand Bush, he beats on defenseless children.

Attached Files:

18. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Clearly, you need to get back in touch with your inner republican! :D

19. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

There are a lot of reaons why I can't stand Bush.

I wouldn't even know where to start.

20. FritzTheWonderM macrumors member

Being that money and media have turned American politics into a two man race, we as a nation are stuck with a choice between two weak or bad candidate every four years. So hate Bush if you must but he's just the guy in the hot seat this term. When was the last "did something memerable" president? Reagan? Kennedy? Washington?

But as for a debatable topic, there are only two ways to bring peace to the Middle East:
    1) Import Capitalism on a massive scale, employ everyone, and install cable TV in every house. There are no violent uprisings when everyone is fed, dumb, and happy. Take America for example.

2) Nuke it 'till it's glass, pave it, and put up Disneyland Bagdad.

Oh, and for those worried about the number of casualties in Iraq, more people die each year in car crashes caused by debris on the freeway than have died in this war.

21. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

neat! i'd never thought of it like that. so how many people am i allowed to murder before anyone is allowed to worry?

22. FritzTheWonderM macrumors member

Depends on what industry you're in. Tobacco, hmm I've lost count. Automobiles, 43,000 per year. Dictator, millions as long as they are your own people. Weapons Manufacture, we don't call it murder, dear, we call it war.

23. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

And that makes it OK? People don't like the fact that we have a lot of casualties not because people are dying, but because people believe them to be dying needlessly.

Pretend there were some special technology that were available to eliminate all debris on freeways. Now pretend that the government decided that we shouldn't spend tax money on deploying that technology, even though it would save thousands of lives. There would be an uproar. "Why is the government letting people die when there is a way to stop it?"

Many Americans don't believe the Iraq war was necessary, just or gave the US as a whole any real benifits. Therefore, it is quite understandable that those people are upset at each and every soldier who dies, as that soldier, in their minds, could right now be sitting safely within the US. The president and his aides chose a course that caused these soldiers to die. If a person doesn't believe in the reasons behind that choice, those deaths seem futile and a waste of human life.

Even if you don't agree, you must understand the rationale.

Taft

24. numediaman macrumors 6502a

AAA just released a study saying road debris, like blown out tires or things that have fallen out of trucks, cause 25,000 accidents a year, claiming nearly 90 lives nationwide.

http://rdu.news14.com/content/headlines/?ArID=49453&SecID=2

Fritz must work for Wolfowitz.

25. FritzTheWonderM macrumors member

There wouldn't be an uproar, Americans have become sheep. And, having been in the military, I can say that death is an occupational hazard for military personnel. You want to talk about sensless waste of human life let's talk training accidents in the military.

As for a mere 90 per year, ok I stand corrected. If we add just the pedestrians killed in crashes that should put us over the current total.

http://www-fars.nhtsa.dot.gov/main.cfm

It's not that killing is ok, or that you can justify it, it's just that people die. You can't stop it, even if you'd like to control where or how it happens. The idea that we took over an entire country in 30 days and have held it for a year with so few casualties is amazing. Should we have? In this case probably not, but really, wasn't Amnesty International complaining about Saddam. So we did society a favor.