I don't like laptops.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jive, May 16, 2006.

1. jive macrumors 6502a

I've never liked them, I much prefer my lovely iMac to my Uncle's MacBookPro (Or whatever it was called 5 months ago). I dont understand the appeal for laptops - everywhere you're going to have to use one either a) has a computer already there or b) it's a sign that you shouldn't be doing any work... Don't get me wrong, they look sweet and are very fast - I'm not denying that they are amazing machines.

Maybe it's just me but I can't be the only one who doesn't like laptops on here. Anyone else?

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I'm in a Windows-centric environment at work, so the only way for me to work on a Mac is for me to bring my own. I can't afford to have an iMac at home and work, and I've not been lifting enough weights to carry one back and forth. When I go on vacations I take my PB with me so I can offload images from my digital camera. I guess I'm saying I like my laptop, and will likely have one as long as my employer is in a Windows environment (read: forever :rolleyes: ).

To each their own.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

They have their place, even if they don't suit you. :)

Oh, and I've never seen a sign telling me not to work...

4. Kreamy macrumors member

Where I live (somewhere PAST the stone age) universities require laptops.

Laptops are undeniably much more convenient in terms of working on the go - you say there are computers everywhere, well when we're provided with computers that magically have our files on the morning commute, in university, at a cafe etc. then i'd be happy to get rid of my laptop, who needs the extreme hassle of, i dunno, plugging it in at night.

AFAIK the performance margin between laptops and desktops has fallen dramatically in the last few years, with no asymptote in sight; as such the advantages of a laptop are beginning to (or, in my eyes, already do) far outweigh the advantages of a desktop (namely price and performance).

If you manage without a laptop though, hey thats great, cheaper for you, but there certainly not without purpose.

5. jive thread starter macrumors 6502a

This is the problem.

As soon as they work round the problem of cell phones working on the Underground (which already works in some stations in London) then people will be working 24/7. This isn't a good thing. People need to learn to work in a set time and not do crazy amounts of overtime.

You all work too hard. You need sometime to yourself.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I've also never been told I work too hard. :D

I take my iBook to bed with me and it's strictly leisure.

7. Kreamy macrumors member

I think it's we all procrastinate too much, and blight that with some pathetic fallacy of work.

8. jive thread starter macrumors 6502a

1) Every Uni I've been to (visted/whatever) they've all been networked so you can save to any computer and open on any computer.

2) USB Memory sticks. And you need to stop working everywhere you go.

3) Thanks.

9. jive thread starter macrumors 6502a

iMac + Front Row + Remote = Sleeptastic. :]

There isn't meant to be any malicious threatening in this thread, just my point of view.

10. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

First off, I understand you're not trying to start a war here, but:

1.) Not everyone on this forum, and obviously in the larger Mac community at large, works/does their computing at a university. Networked computers (all Macs) located at one's home and place of work are extremely rare.

2.) Again, this assumes that all programs are available on all computers, since it's often not files that need transferring. If I want to work on a Keynote document, having it on a USB key does me no good in a Windows environment.

3.) No problem :)

I'm not trying to be harsh, but the rosy-colored world that would be necessary for this all to work out just doesn't exist. Until the entire world is networked with Macs that I can access from wherever I happen to be, I guess I'll be sticking with my Powerbook (or MBP :)). I'm looking forward to that day, though :cool: .

Cheers

11. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I think I'd die without my laptop. It's just so convenient for everything that I do. Admittedly I don't really do anything that heavy with mine, so I really have no need for the extra power of a desktop. In fact I'm sure that if I had a desktop as well it would probably collect dust. Each to their own though. :)

12. Kreamy macrumors member

Isn't this the entire concept behind offering both laptops and desktops? where is the synergy? where is the love? *snicker*

13. discoforce macrumors 6502a

discoforce

WAY too much information madjew! :eek:

My ideal setup would be the laptop for travel and convenience and the large external display, keyboard, and mouse to plug into at home.

The flexibility to get work done when I want actually allows me more time to play too! :D

14. Kreamy macrumors member

/me dies laughing

15. gerbilbox macrumors regular

To each his or her own. People have lots of reasons to not have a portable computer (liablility, reliability, expense, etc.), but there are many reasons to have one. It depends on the kind of person you are and what kind of work (or play) you do.

For me, sure, many places I go already have computers there, but does that mean that I can actually use it? Or that the files/programs I need are already installed on there? It's almost always a no to all those questions, and I study and work better outside of home, usually at a friend's apartment. They have computers there too, but they're not Macs, they would need to use their computers too, and their computers don't have some of the programs I need for homework or my photography (nor would they have my large library of RAW photo files). This is where owning my own portable computer comes in :)

16. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

I place more importance on my desktop being powerful and having a small, battery conscious laptop for me to do work, read e-mail, or surf the internet. If I need more power, I'll wait until I get home

17. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

I felt the same way excactly 6 months ago. Then I started studying Computer Science and realising that I would never get any work done because I was also on the move, I ordered an iBook 14". After 2 weeks of getting used to it, I have a really hard time seeing how I should be able to go back to a desktop, because I really like the touchpad (less annoying mouse injuries) and I work smoking fast on the keyboard because it has small buttons and are close to eachother. Granted it did take some getting used to, now I hate typing and working on a desktop keyboard, it's just too darn slow.

This lead to my signature also, seeing as I would need a combination of a desktop/portable.

18. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I used to always had a very powerful laptop and no desktop. But desktops offer more power for less money. So now I have an even more powerful desktop, and a very un-powerful cheap laptop to take around.

19. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Same. It's easily the best compromise for me. :cool:

20. mainframe macrumors newbie

actually, i prefer notebooks to desktops.

i like my imac and i sit at my desk sometimes, but i prefer being able to take my computer everywhere i go, as an artist i like being able to chunk a notebook in my bag with a graphics tablet, and for music stuff too...using reason and a midi interface and being able to take that anywhere.....would be so annoying having to take big desktops everywhere for music stuff.

they both definately have their pros and cons...but personally, i prefer using, and own more notebooks than desktops.

21. adk macrumors 68000

adk

I like having my laptop for a few reasons:

1) Sitting outside with it on a rare nice day

2) Using it on airplanes/on vacation

3) When Friends call me begging me to fix their computers because I'm the only one who knows how, I bring my laptop with me to access the web while I'm reformatting their wretched XP machines.

Also, I see your valid point about computers everywhere at universities and whatnot, but I find it to be a huge PITA to try and save everything over the network.

22. dr_lha macrumors 68000

Have you ever owned a laptop? If not then laptop love is just one of those things you probably won't get until you use one daily. I love the fact that I can read my email on the couch, can cook food reading recipes off my laptop screen on the kitchen table, and most importantly can have my computer with me anywhere I travel.

My PB is broken right now (HD dead) and having to use my mini is instead is nice (much, much faster, 20" LCD), but much more restrictive.

23. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Or, that person just enjoys using a desktop more.

I have both, a desktop and laptop and given the choice to which machine to use, I'll almost always pick my desktop.

If I had to sell or destroy one of them, the laptop would go.

24. dr_lha macrumors 68000

Preferring a desktop is one thing, but the OP stated that he plain "did not like laptops" or did not understand the appeal of them. Sounds pretty much like someone who hasn't owned one to me.

25. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Not getting into personal preferences, a laptop vs a desktop IMO has more to do with WHAT you use it for.

Do you do digital video? Then you NEED a desktop.

Do you run around all over the place and need to work? Then you NEED a laptop.

Do you do any and all combinations of needing portability and expandability?

Then you need BOTH.

A laptop is not ever going to be as upgradeable as a full fledged desktop, and to each his own but cmon, you dont need a $3000 machine to type email.