I don't think 6.0.1 fixed iPhone 5 Wifi problems

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zorinlynx, Nov 26, 2012.

1. macrumors 68030

zorinlynx

I'm still having occasional Wifi issues with my iPhone 5 on 6.0.1. I'm just wondering if anyone else is, so I can determine if this is a hardware problem or software.

Basically, it works well for a while, but then becomes unreliable, with a lot of packet loss, especially on transmit. For instance, on a speedtest I'll get 50 megabits down, and then the upload will fail or get 0.01 megabits.

Web browsing, twitter, etc. are unusably slow.

Turning Wifi or airplane mode on/off does not help. LTE works fine. Rebooting the phone is what solves the problem, at least for the moment until it comes back a few days later.

I only get this problem at home, on my 4th gen Time Capsule. Other Wifi networks work fine. Other devices work fine on the Time Capsule, including my iPad 2 and 2010 Macbook Pro.

Anyone else having these issues? It's frustrating that Apple has failed to get something as simple as Wifi perfect on the iPhone 5. :(

2. macrumors 65816

nefan65

No, I think it's still an issue. I've had similar issues. I removed and re-added all the wireless setting after the update, to be sure. But it still exists...

3. macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

Absolutely ZERO wifi issues here with my 5. Maybe you guys got a defective phone.

4. macrumors 6502

Yea, I also haven't noticed a severe issues like you. I did notice with 6.0 the occasional drop, but not with 6.0.1

5. macrumors 6502

BigMcGuire

Having the same issues. Resetting network settings (then restarting) helps me. I had the same problem on my 4s so I'm not that bothered. Only had problems on 1 of the 3 WiFi networks I've used since having my iPhone 5.

6. macrumors 6502

egeek84

same issue here, resetting network settings or restarting my phone temporarily fixes the problem until it eventually starts up again :mad:

7. macrumors 6502a

Vundu

Same issues on 6.01. Also the same issues on 6.1 beta 1 and 2.

8. thread starter macrumors 68030

zorinlynx

I seem to have quelled the issues by turning off N mode on my router. The reduced speeds aren't that big a deal since tablets can't really take advantage of the higher speeds and my desktops are wired. But it's still a stupid workaround and not a solution.

I hope they figure out what's going on and fix it soon!

9. macrumors newbie

6.0.1 did not fix it for me, however what did work was changing the dns settings to googles DNS servers instead of the default provided by the router. The issue as I've been understanding is a compatibility issue with certain routers, that's why some people get it and some don't.
    Go to settings
    Wifi
    Click the blue arrow next to the wifi you join
    Change DNS to 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 (you'll get faster speeds from one depending on where you live)