I Don't think Apple can Compete with this.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Daveway, Jan 7, 2005.

1. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

2. MacFan25863 macrumors 6502a

MacFan25863

More expensive and intergrated graphics, as well as a plastic casing, not to mention Windows? I think not.

3. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Right now? No you're probably right, Apple Can't. Of course, I'd still take a PowerBook just to avoid Windows. Wait until the next PowerBook is announced before passing judgment, though.

4. NZDave macrumors newbie

Ok, for one, it runs Windows. As if this isn't enough of a problem, it also "starts" at $1,600. That doesn't mean all the features (dual layer DVD burner, etc) are included at that price. Then the fact that the back says "vaio" instead of having a glowing apple, just makes it so that I'd take a powerbook anyday.

5. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

It does say Double-layer DVD±RW optical drive. Is that the same a dual layer?

6. H&Kie macrumors regular

Yup. Sure is!

7. panphage macrumors 6502

But not at the starting price. I love how the article makes it seem like you'll get the DVD burner, 100GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 1.7 PM, all for just 1600. Maybe £1600. But I'd say more like £2500.

It's also thicker than the powerbooks.

8. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

And heavier!

And here's the main reason why I wouldn't recommend this:

It's a Sony!!

9. bubbamac macrumors 6502

It's got something we don't see in the Mac world - shared RAM. The article isn't too clear about it, but it does state that the video RAM is 128 MB of shared memory. That leaves 768 for the processor - about the minimum you need to run XP.

Not good for anything graphics intensive. Or processor intensive, for that matter.

I'm not sure how they can say that this is great for multimedia. It's not good for much of anything.

I had a Windows laptop some years back with shared RAM. I'll never do that again. What a roadblock.

10. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

What kind of response did you think you would get? :)

Personally, I don't even keep track of what goes on in the PC world because I have zero use for a PC. It would be the same thing as me keeping track of the cost of dump trucks, even though I have no use for one and no intention to ever buy one.

11. nef919 macrumors member

Uhhh

I'm not impressed. In the end no matter how you package sh*t it's still s*it.
    The more neat features you add to to a windows box the higher the probability that it will randomly bluescreen. That and most pc manufactures seem to need to cut back on performance to make it thinner/look nicer. (hence the shared video memory. It says up to 128 shared so I'm guessing that the higher end of the line share less/have a different video card.
    ?) Bottom line I'm sticking with my Powerbook.

12. brap macrumors 68000

Apple could compete with this, they just aren't right now. Something big is brewing in Powerbook world... consider the iMac silence before the G5 came out.

What is a point, though, is that I'd love to see Apple using bleeding-edge technology again. 100GB HDDs, 5400rpm or no, are the kind of numbers which matter. Hitachi 80GB/7200s are also way overdue. But this has been discussed many, many times before :rolleyes:

13. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

all i see is a wedge of cheese :)

powerbooks can easily compete with it

14. carlos700 macrumors regular

I've read that some of the FS models will come with NVIDIA GeForce Go 6200 Graphics Card.

I think that the next PowerBook 12" should come with NVIDIA GeForce Go 6200 and the 15" and 17" should come with NVIDIA GeForce Go 6800.

They blow the Mobility RADEON 9700 away, Plus the Mobility RADEON 9800/X800 will create too much heat.

15. carlos700 macrumors regular

768 MB is not the minimum for Windows XP. My PC Notebook has 512 MB total ram and 32 MB shared which leaves me with 480 MB. It's no speed monster but it can run games and FireWorks MX 2004 with some speed.

16. Daveway thread starter macrumors 68040

Daveway

I don't keep track either, I was just skimming through the CES highlights. I mean this computer is $1999 fully loaded.

17. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

18. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Amen. My mac does everything I need and could do a lot more if I needed a lot more. My next mac will be even better and my needs won't be that much greater. I just don't care what specs windows machines come out with (and frankly, though there are nice windows machines out there, this one is not one that I'd write home about) because they can't offer me one single thing that I want/need that my mac can't do.

Now that said, if people who are buying a new computer and are on the fence are drawn by this, that's a problem. But again, what makes this thing so great? Pricey, plasticy, crap integrated graphics. Yeah it has some nice things, but even among windows machines this wouldn't be high on my list.

19. Daveway thread starter macrumors 68040

Daveway

But we still need to keep track of healthy PC competition. The average Joe isn't going to have the same feeling you have when he goes to buy a laptop.

20. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

In my opinion the stats are apples to oranges... That's what I usually explain to people. The main selling point for a Mac (especially to someone who doesn't game) is no viruses / spyware. Number two is the fact that they can still purchases MS Office and be compatible.

21. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

um, uh, like dude...does it run windows? oh i think apple offers a lot more than sony is offering. try an OS.

22. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

so, im not worried about the average joe. let joe buy what he wants. i doubt sony will pull the money out of many mac user wallets.

23. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

I don't get this trend about "thin laptops"... I do understand light laptops (after all, you have to carry it around, and I find my Thinkpad 760XL a bit too heavy), but thickness? My next laptop could be as thick as the 760XL and I wouldn't care...