I don't understand iLife package?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by ShadowHunter, Dec 11, 2003.

1. ShadowHunter macrumors regular

I don't get it, doesn't every new Mac come with iLife? Aren't iPhoto, iTunes, etc just part of OS X? Why is it a seperate package to buy, but then there are still links to download almost all the programs?

I'm really confused. I thought all this was on OS X cds?

2. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

For new macs iLife is an irrelevance. You get everything that's in it with a new mac. iDVD is the only part of it you can't download for free. So basically iLife is for people that own an older mac with a superdrive or those with an old mac and on dial-up.

3. LimeLite macrumors 6502a

LimeLite

It's biggest benefit is iDVD 3. There was no free upgrade to iDVD 3 from iDVD 2.

4. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Well $50 is a little steep in my opinion for just iDVD alone. I eventually outgrew iMovie and graduated onto FCP and DVD Studio Pro.

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Remember that not everyone has a broadband connection. CD-ROMs can be a wonderful time saver.

6. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

True, maybe I'm generalizing but for the most part just about anyone who has purchased a new Macintosh within say the last 2 years has some parts of the iLife package. I do not recall the software updates for iMovie, iPhoto, and iTunes being extraordinarily large (i.e. 6MB+) but then again I may be wrong. I do see your point though. Well put.

7. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

imovie 3 was 80 mb and iphoto 2 was around 40. thats alot on dialup.

iJon

8. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Perhaps I should have been more specific. I meant the minor updates .1 not an entire jump from 2->3.

9. ShadowHunter thread starter macrumors regular

No free upgrade, period?

But iDVD3 comes with Panther?

Also, let's say I buy an older Mac and add my aftermarket Pioneer Slot-Load SCSI dvd drive. Will iDVD support it?

10. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

iDVD does not come with panther. It will be on the restore discs that came with your machine if it has a Apple installed superdrive.

iDVD doesn't support non-Apple supplied DVD burners AFAIK

11. PensDevil macrumors member

Actually, it seems that iDVD comes with most (or all?) new machines from Apple, superdrive or not.
    We just received a large shipment of eMacs (sans-superdrive) to roll out. When I was building the image, i could not figure out why it was so much bigger (+1.5 GB more) than the Jag images I had made were. Turns out the culprit was iDVD 3. Our combo drive eMacs had the iDVD installer on the software restore disc as well.
    Checking the new 15" AlBooks we just received (combo drive models), they too have iDVD 3.

12. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

hugemullens

If you buy an old mac it will be IDE, SCSI is no longer included on any mac after the B&W G3 (i might be wrong so someone who knows more jump in on that). But if you buy a new mac you get iDVD 3, however it wont even open without a superdrive. IF you buy an old mac, you can go buy iLife, add an aftermarket pioneer A05 drive, IDE, and should be able to use it, i did it to a 800 DP quicksilver, then un-did it and did it to a 733 no prob. I got the drive from www.mcetech.com as they assure iDVD compatiblity.

13. ShadowHunter thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the replies everyone, it makes much more sense now!

Just one teeeeeensy more question, I don't know if it's iLife related or not. If I buy a Mac with just a CD or CDR, and add an aftermarket DVD player, will the built in DVD handle it? Will I need to buy something else?

14. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

hugemullens

As long as its a supported dvd player it should work. You might have to extract the DVD player app from the OS X CD, but its fairly easy to do. head on over to www.xlr8yourmac.com and search the data base there for all kinds of info about drives.

15. ShadowHunter thread starter macrumors regular