I don't understand why some people like.....

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Abstract, May 23, 2006.

1. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

....Futurama.

I like The Simpsons, but I could never get into Futurama. In fact, I don't think they ever, not one solitary time, made me crack up. Futurama doesn't even make me grin. Simpsons has, and so has a show like Family Guy.

With Futurama, I just sit there, tight-lipped, waiting to be amused. Today, I watched an episode that made my friends "LOL" numerous times. Some people say laughter is contagious. Obviously, these people are wrong. :p

Discuss.

2. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I tend to agree. It just seems to lack any sort of wit. One thing that I will give it though, is Dr. Zoidberg - his appearance amuses me as do his actions on the rare occasion.

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I'll second that, I just could never get into Futurama either. It always felt like it was trying just a bit too hard to get a laugh.

I certainly don't miss it.

4. Queso macrumors G4

You're obviously not geeky enough. Futurama is full of obscure references to other films and TV shows, although some (e.g. Zap Branigan) are more obvious than others. The plot is secondary to the references, as the Futurama characters effectively respond to situations that characters in other shows/movies have experienced. It's the idiocy of the Futurama responses compared to the other shows' characters that lead to the laughs.

Except Zoidberg of course. How can you not find a smelly unpopular space lobster that eats from the trash funny? :D

5. Toreador93 macrumors regular

I like futurama. I mean, it's definitely different than the Simpsons or Famiy Guy. But it has it's moments. Like how Zoidberg always gets the short end of the stick. Fry's stupidity. The Professor's senility. Bender's wit!

Bender:
    "This is the worst kind of discrimination. The kind against me!"
    "Oh. Your. God."
    "My life, and by extension everyone else's is meaningless."
    "Oh wait, you're serious. Let me laugh even harder."
    "Call me old fashioned but I like a dump to be as memorable as it is devastating."
    "Maybe you can interface with my ass! By biting it!"

6. amacgenius macrumors 68000

amacgenius

7. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

One of the funniest cartoons ever. You really need to watch it from the beginning to get into it, otherwise a lot of it doesn't make sense. That's how it was for me at least. I never liked it that much when it was on tv because I would just catch a random episode here and there. Now that I have the DVDs and got to see it from the beginning, it all makes more sense.

8. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

I'm not really a fan either. I do accept though that most of the things that others find funny i don't get (with the obscure references). It wasn't my cup of tea when it first started and i never got into it. I'd rather read a book or something :)

9. Shamus macrumors 6502a

Shamus

I havent watched many episodes, but the handful I have seen have seen managed to amuse me at least one point throughout the episode.

I do somewhat agree though, it doesnt seem to have quite the same touch as some other well known cartoon animations.

10. HckySo macrumors 6502

HckySo

If you like Sci-Fi you'll like it. If you hate Sci-Fi you'll like it. They make fun of Sci-Fi a lot in the show, you'd have to understand it a little more. A lot it definitely is less funny than other cartoons.

11. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

It must be a geek thing because I think Furturama is easily as funny as the Simpsons (sometimes funnier). In recent times the new Simpsons episodes just aren't funny.

12. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    It's not a Simpsons spin-off and shouldn't be compared as such .... it just happens to have the same creative guy at the helm. Its inherent homage was towards many genres other than sci-fi.

Conceptually it’s far superior to the available alternatives. As much as I like the fluid writing style of Family Guy, the base of dysfunctional family unit from which many comic points can be gained from the wide permutation of interactions within, has been dead for years.

I much preferred the Futurama writing that neither patronised its audience nor sold out to the lowest denominator.

13. garybUK Guest

garybUK

I never found simpsons funny, there's the odd moment in the simpsons that make me laugh but its a dire cartoon and uses mindless comedy, pffft can't be doing with it.

Futurama is a take it or leave it cartoon, funnier than the Simpsons. Now I know this is a little off topic but one of the best shows is Malcolm in the Middle, I absolutely love it, great comedy!

14. inlimbo macrumors 6502

But isn't that like saying that u like the Simpsons because Homer's fat and lazy etc... I hate when people say that about the Simpsons. The Simpson's is a great show because it works on different levels. I have seen the episodes a million times but I always enjoy them. When I was in my younger teens I enjoyed it on one level. Now in my 20s as a uni student I enjoy it on another level.

Im not into deconstructing comedy because I think it destroys it. But the Simpson's has depth (if that's the right word?). All the great references to science, literature, movies, music, law and even economics!

e.g. "Lisa in this house we obey the laws of Thermodynamics!". :) [among many many others.] AND my favourite (my boss - who is a lecturer in contract law has it pinned on his wall - lawyers love the Simpsons)

Marge: Homer, when are you going to give up this crazy sugar scheme?
    Homer: Never, Marge. Never. I can't live the button-down life like you. I want it all: the terrifying lows, the dizzying highs, the creamy middles. Sure, I might offend a few of the bluenoses with my cocky stride and musky odors -- oh, I'll never be the darling of the so-called "City Fathers" who cluck their tongues, stroke their beards, and talk about "What's to be done with this Homer Simpson?"

Here is one for the economists:
    Homer: Aw, twenty dollars! I wanted a peanut!
    Homer's Brain: Twenty dollars can buy many peanuts!
    Homer: Explain how!
    Homer's Brain: Money can be exchanged for goods and services!
    Homer: Woo-hoo!

I don't understand Futurama. I have friends who love it. But to me it has no depth. Its occassional funny but I never burst out in laughter like I regularly do with the Simpsons, Family Guy and American Dad. Man I love Family Guy.

But I will get the DVD and watch it from the start as someone suggested. I'm obviously missing something.

Sorry for all the quotes I just really love the Simpsons

15. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

This is how I feel about Seinfeld. It was never funny.

16. Abstract thread starter macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well, I'll say that the Simpsons worked on different levels at one point, but now it's just trying too hard to be a little bit more like Family Guy and get a stupid laugh rather than what they used to do.

And in my opinion, Futurama works on no levels. :p I think that's the problem.

Sometimes I get the references 100% and just don't find the jokes funny. Maybe I'm not geeky enough, but some of the non-geeky jokes that are just a play on words, or a play on an old phrase don't do it for me.

Oh well, I don't like American Dad, either. Love Family Guy, though. :) Same sorta deal.

17. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

I meant to add that I think some of the humour in Futurama and the Simpsons is surprisingly British compared to a lot of US comedy. Maybe this explains why some don't like it too.

18. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

The day i found out that futurama is no more i nearly cryed, i love that show.

19. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

:) not sure I'd go that far but I was very disappointed. I expected that of Fox/Sky though.

20. commonpeople macrumors regular

I love Futurama and hate Zoidberg. People seem to have very strong feelings on Zoidberg. Put me in the 'no' camp.

Simpsons was funny- like 20 years ago.

South Park is variable- but when it's good- it can be the best satire appearing on US television. It appears crude- but once you get past the scatalogical humor- it is on occasion very sophisticated.

Family Guy obviously owes a huge debt to the Simpsons. It has its moments- but there's no depth to its comedy (as pointed out recently on South Park).

Captain Caveman- now there was a show.

21. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I love Futurama but I *hate* Zoidberg. He irritates me beyond anything. I know a lot of people that used to not give Futurama the time of day but ended up watching it because its frequent occurence on Sky One. Now they all absolutely love it. I know way more people that look forward to episodes now than before it was cancelled.
    A couple of weeks ago I saw an episode that I'd never seen before. I nearly wept with joy.

22. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

what is it exactly that irritates you? just wondering.

23. commonpeople macrumors regular

Maybe British and Irish people dislike Zoidberg- because it's not considered funny over there to make fun of either poor people or Jewish immigrants. Sorry to be so serious- but he does come across as a racist stereotype.

24. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

I'm British and I think he's a funny character. I'd agree he's a stereotype but then again so are most characters on TV, I don't think it is racist.

edit: I also like the 3 stooges refs that are tied to his character.

25. Queso macrumors G4

Maybe, but the OP and others here are Australian. Their sense of humour is normally very similar to the UK one.