I don't wanna start a rant here but...

Discussion in 'Games' started by sikkinixx, Oct 16, 2006.

1. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

When will the console fanboyism reach its peak? I mean, most everyone has their console of choice. They want it to do well. They hope it gets good exclusive games. They wanna take little shots here and there at the other consoles and their fans. Thats all well and good. Some like Ford's, others like Chevy's.

But most of the sensible people see that each console has its ups and downs, its good and bad. And that having all three (Sony, MS, Nintendo) competitive is good for gamers as a whole because competition keeps everyone on their toes.

But today when I was waiting (sadly unsuccessfully :( ) for a PS3 preorder at EB up here in Canada (I was number 10 and they had 8 argh..) I saw fanboyism at its apex. The peak. The top. The pinacle.

I crap you not, people were swearing at eachother over it. Wii fans on one side, PS3 fans on the other. Back and forth this was it

"HAHA Sony doesn't care about its customers like Nintendo does. We have lots of units, you douchebags gotta wait till like May to get one!"

"Oh yeah, well go ahead and play in 480p on your little 20" TV ya ***, play Excite Truck and SpongeBob with your magic wand"

"It's better than the garbage that Sony is pumping out. OMG Resistance...Another crappy FPS ROFL go home and keep waiting"

This until the EB dude told us how it was gonna work, how many they had etc.

All I could think was "wow.. aren't you guys cool. Yelling at eachother over a video game, way to go PSP Shirt Fanboy, you sure stuck it to Nintendo DS Hat Fanboy over there. :rolleyes: "

And it's not like there were 12 year olds, they were high school/college guys! I felt my self-esteem drop about 20 points just standing there listening to it...

Sorry, just had to get my disbelief out over how far people go with this stuff...

2. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

don't pay attention to it, like i don't

I get what i like and don't have to prove to anyone why i like it, and they don't have to prove to me why they like it.

3. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

Mac'Mo

ahh was that what ppl were lining up outside of ebgames for? for the ps3 preorder? On my way to work i saw a small line outside and i thought a new game had came out. Yes fanboys/girls are quite ignorant but if you think about it, its just as bad as "MacHeads" on this site who swear upon the Apple icon as infallible.

4. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

well thats different; apple is infallible. :p

seriously though, fanboyism is dumb. just walk by those people and laugh at the fact that though not 12 year olds, they sure act it.

5. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Trying to get people to stop being console/computer/automobile/whatever fanboys is like trying to stop people from Replying All by sending everyone a message that says "stop Replying All, please!" It's like King Canute trying to hold back the tide; as Canute knew, it just plain won't work.

6. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

I didn't know that fanboyism happened verbally, in person-- I figured it was an internet-only phenomenon. Wow.

7. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

Fanboy: The new F word.

I'm so sick of hearing it.

8. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

Here here, it sounds so sophomoric. So childish. It's like saying "poo-poo head" to someone you don't like and REALLY meaning it.

9. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

fine, fanboys (AKA those who display "console discrimination".)

10. Ajmbc macrumors regular

It reminds me of a time that a Gamestop employee found out I played a druid in World of Warcraft. As I walked out the door he screams "You run away in travel form in Warsong Gulch! Damn you, sir! Damn you!"

11. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

Oh, no- I have to deal with it all the time in real life.

You guys have no idea (or maybe you do) how much crap I get from my PC-only gamer friends just for owning an X-Box and playing Halo ("first person shooters are pointless without a mouse!", etc etc.). Throw in the fact that I'm a Mac user (just using a Mac makes someone a Mac fanboy in their eyes) and suddenly the amount of crap I have to deal with at a LAN party jumps exponentially. The ironic part there is that most of my friends have no idea what a Mac is beyond the image they have of G3 iMacs from commercials years ago. I had three friends in a row come up to me a couple weeks ago at the local LAN hangout (where I was using my gaming PC attached to an Apple Studio Display), look at the obviously Windows XP-screen (I was looking on the network for some files to leech), and then try to blast my "stupid Mac." Fanboys will never see anything other than what they want to see, so there is no real point in trying to reason with them or convince them of anything. Just let them keep flaming each other and hopefully some of them will mature eventually.

12. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I dont understand Fanboys at all. Why on earth be devoted to a paticular manufacturers console. They are'nt loyal to you.

I think it must be because they are so insecure of their own purchase they have to justify it by continuilly shoating down others. Rather pathetic

I'm a fan of gaming, no matter the platform. A great game is a great game no matter what format it's on.

13. jdechko macrumors 68040

I agree, it's silly. The way I see it is that I only have a limited entertainment budget (money as well as time) and when the baby comes, I'll have even less time and money. I'll buy the console that gets me the most for my money. In this case (and in other cases) it's the Nintendo consoles that I feel are the best fit for me. I love Zelda, Metroid, Smash Bros. and Mario Kart, so I have to buy a Wii if I want to play those games. There are other cross-platform games (such as Splinter Cell) that I'm a fan of, so I'm able to play those as well.

It's the same thing with computers and cars and what-have-you. If people buy what they want then that should be it. Each consumer should evaluate his/her needs and purchase accordingly. :)

In any case, I think most of this "fanboy" behavior will end come November 19 when all of the consoles are out. Then, who really cares, as [most of us] will be playing games instead of bickering and arguing.

14. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Your situation is like most. Generally people only buy one console, but it's when an exclusive on the other machines comes out, that they would really love to play - it irritates them that they can't and so what they do is irrationally knock the other machine - thus creating what they falsely perceive to be a genuine reason for not playing the game that they secretly crave to.

It's all rather silly and sad.

I'm fortunate that I will have all three of the new machines - well 5 if you include the two handhelds - well 8 if you include the 3 major last gen machines - well 9 if you include the DC - well.... you get the picture ;)

I like gaming, so to me if there is a number of games on that format that I want to play, then I'll buy it.

At the moment with the launch of Wii & PS3. There is only 1 or two games at the most I would be tempted to play on either format, however there is 6 or 7 games out before the holidays on the 360, so I'm not really bothered Sony delayed PS3 release in Europe, and I'll probably hold off getting a wii till Mario Galaxy is out. I will have Zelda Twilight Princess for the gamecube anyway.

15. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

I am not a fanboy... i just think that Wii kicks major azz.

16. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Some people just need a girlfriend/boyfriend and the hating nerdnation/fanboyism will slowly but surely vanish.

Bless

17. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

I too had heard those comments until I told him that I am not a monkey and had opposable thumbs and wanted to use them ;)

But the original poster has a great point and just found it funny read - frankly I am waiting for riots next month

18. stagecustom macrumors regular

this among other ideas like this are redundant. People who like something enough and are obsessed with it enough to go preorder it and argue with someone about it are either insecure or just plain stupid. There not living in the real world. such is the example about a store employee yelling at you cause you are a certain creature or w.e in that Warcraft game. I personally consider those people weird (who are obsessed with video games). THey are fun, i mean i do have an xbox 360, but i don't play it that often and i dunno maybe this makes no sense. but i feel that people who take things like that seriously like being a gamer and hanging out all the time in those seedy game places are just insecure ppl who have no life and only gain friends through incorporation of games etc.
    I prefer to go out with some friends or just chill and someone's house a play music. i am a drummer i am more into music then games/computers and even hockey.

this whole subject is just a little immature IMHO.

19. Malus macrumors 6502

20. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

My rods and cones are out burned out

21. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

lol. The Magic wand thing made me crack up:D

Ok i am a Nintendo person. But i have thought, the PS3 is for some really HARDCORE gamers, and the Wii can be HARDCORE too, but it not as much as what the PS3 is accomplishing. If i had the money i would get All three systems, but since i have a limited amount, and i want something thats fun, not with graphics that amaze,to tell the truth before i started looking on forums, i bought a gamecube and LOVED it! It was all i needed. Then i look on Flames War forums and they are all like, OHH YOuR Grafix sux on you gai lunch boxx concole!

And im like SHUT UP!
    I like nintendo, my own choice, you can choose what ever you want. Its fine with me!

22. wyatt23 macrumors 6502a

wyatt23

but... i'm totally about to start a rant here.

23. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

Mac'Mo

I am what you would call a Nintendo Fan Boy but I own a PS2. Does this make me a bad person or a bad fanboy?

24. wyatt23 macrumors 6502a

wyatt23

it's worse than i thought. how long have you had this condition? i've seen this all too many times... you must ditch PS2, and put an end to this unparallelld paradox. at any moment, sir, your head may explode.

25. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Question..

Quick help here...is a fanboy someone who LIKES a particular company/system/brand to the extent of ignoring all else OR is it someone who puts DOWN any competing company/system/brand?

I buy Apple, Nintendo and Nike. Doesn't mean I've never liked a PS2, never worn Reeboks or never been forced to use Windows.

Any answers?