i downloaded the new wireless N from apple.com ....

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SandersHokie, Feb 12, 2007.

1. SandersHokie macrumors 6502

how do I know if it is working? It shows up on the network thingy that they said to check. I'm just curious when I'm using wireless on campus or in my apartment if I know i am using the "n"?

thanks.

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

depends if your router/the campus router is wireless n compatable, if your uni is anything like mine it won't be.

3. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

yeah, i somehow doubt universities would be using draft stuff.

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I was just thinking they wouldn't get anything that new ;), but it's also true they wouldn't get wireless n as it's not final.

5. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

you can at least check to see if it was installed by going to Network Utility and, under the Info tab, clicking "Network Interface (en1)." the Model (at the bottom left) should say "Wireless Network Adapter (802.11 a/b/g/n)" if you have n installed (emphasis added).

6. SandersHokie thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah its installed, but how would I know if I'm using N or not? for example, if I was to purchase a router that used "n" how would I know that I am using it? or is there no way to tell that?

thanks

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

On the same screen that shows you that you have n capability, if you ever see your connected speed over 54, then you're using n.

8. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

Oh My...OK first of all you NEED a router that supports 802.11n. I'm sure running speed checks, moving files (should be ALOT faster) and moving a bit further than what your use to, you would be able to tell. You cant just download it and expect it to work if your router isnt compatible.

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

you would know you were using it because copying files over it would be really fast. Should get up to about 1GB/minute, realistically about 0.5GB/minute.

10. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Just open Applications->Utilities->Network Utility, go to the Info tab, and choose "Network Interface (en1)". (edit: duh, as mentioned above :eek:).

You'll see your link speed. >54 Mb = n.

11. SandersHokie thread starter macrumors 6502

so if my link speed is 54, then I am not using "n"? I doubt the router verizon gave me supports N, but I was just checking to see if I'm somewhere else and how I could tell.