Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marty1990

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 25, 2011
England
First time ever. Sort of. I'm 5'7" and I dropped it dropped it from around my waist, whilst attempting to remove it from my bag. It fell, whilst still in the bag. It's an STM Stash bag. Would that be enough protection to stop any damage? It seems fine like, but not sure how much iPad's can take.

EMAN19

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
New York, NY
I'm sorry about that. No physical signs of damage? I guess only time will tell. I have an STM bag for my iPad mini as well and it feels very secure when it is zipped up, as there is very little room for it to move around.

Pinkie Pie

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2012
Los Angeles
It should be perfectly fine. I dropped my completely naked iPad about 3 feet onto a tile floor once. The corner hit the ground, then it bounced and landed on its face. Result: minuscule dent in the corner. iPads are TOUGH. :cool:

THFourteen

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
London
It should be perfectly fine. I dropped my completely naked iPad about 3 feet onto a tile floor once. The corner hit the ground, then it bounced and landed on its face. Result: minuscule dent in the corner. iPads are TOUGH. :cool:

my wife clinked the side of her ipad 3 with a cereal bowl and resulted in 3 large cracks to the screen, we are considering having it repaired.

they aren't that tough.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
my wife clinked the side of her ipad 3 with a cereal bowl and resulted in 3 large cracks to the screen, we are considering having it repaired.

they aren't that tough.

Depends on how the glass is struck. Take glass used in shower enclosures - it can take a dead on shot shot with a hammer. Tap the edge and it shatters.

Making glass strong one way weakens the structure another way and so I'd say that is the what happened in your case. The glass in the iPhones and iPads is amazingly durable, but you cannot escape physics and the molecular structure of glass

Nychot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2011

Ipads are tough. Not really. My mini in a leather case slipped out from under my arm and the screen completely shattered. The genius replacing it under applecare + got shards of glass in his fingers. He couldnt believe how thin the screen is.

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
Last year we were vacationing at the coast. The bedroom I was in had ceramic tile floors and one of those old-timey beds that was 3 ft or so high. I put my iPad on the night table and plugged it in. It was laying flat.

Sometime during the night my 3 year-old granddaughter came and got in bed with me. So of course she rolled off onto the floor. I think her arm caught my iPad because somehow it went down too. In fact the sound of the iPad hitting the floor was what woke me up.

She didn't even wake up (kids can sleep through anything even falling 3 ft onto stone) and my iPad ended up face down on the floor. Not a scratch, dent, scuff, nothing. Don't ask me how because I wouldn't have believed it. It must have landed just right.

Damage depends completely on the angle of impact. Some of us have been lucky, some haven't.

Nychot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2011
I'm sure the big ipad screen is stronger than my shattered mini's. i have an. Ipad 3 and i can tell its thicker and stronger than the mini. I feel more confident in the screen of my nexus 7 over the mini. I couldnt believe how it completely shattered.

Last year we were vacationing at the coast. The bedroom I was in had ceramic tile floors and one of those old-timey beds that was 3 ft or so high. I put my iPad on the night table and plugged it in. It was laying flat.

Sometime during the night my 3 year-old granddaughter came and got in bed with me. So of course she rolled off onto the floor. I think her arm caught my iPad because somehow it went down too. In fact the sound of the iPad hitting the floor was what woke me up.

She didn't even wake up (kids can sleep through anything even falling 3 ft onto stone) and my iPad ended up face down on the floor. Not a scratch, dent, scuff, nothing. Don't ask me how because I wouldn't have believed it. It must have landed just right.

Damage depends completely on the angle of impact. Some of us have been lucky, some haven't.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
First time ever. Sort of. I'm 5'7" and I dropped it dropped it from around my waist, whilst attempting to remove it from my bag. It fell, whilst still in the bag. It's an STM Stash bag. Would that be enough protection to stop any damage? It seems fine like, but not sure how much iPad's can take.

No damage. The case is rigid enough to prevent flexing of the Motherboard, and there are no moving internal parts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.