Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iphonechica

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2010
congratulations!!! i did the same thing but i have the iphone4g, i freaked out too haha, unfortunatly, i don't even think the 4g HAS a sim card, so my dad told me to put it in a rice box for a couple weeks, now it works, i'm so excited:D

smileneway

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2010
Any advice would help

My iphone 3GS fell in toilet on Wednesday. I shook as much water out as i could, then 5 hours later i put the phone in a tupperware container with rice. The following evening, the screen no longer contained condensation and the camera lens also appeared dry. So I decided to let it charge over night. Throughout the night the phone would vibrate as if I had a text coming in, but the phone never turned on. This morning i connected the phone to my computer, and my files showed i took a screen shot of the screen where have to type in a password in order to use the phone. So apparently, my phone is still functional, but I can't see anything on the screen. Any suggestions?

chargit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2010
Evansville, In
My iphone 3GS fell in toilet on Wednesday. I shook as much water out as i could, then 5 hours later i put the phone in a tupperware container with rice. The following evening, the screen no longer contained condensation and the camera lens also appeared dry. So I decided to let it charge over night. Throughout the night the phone would vibrate as if I had a text coming in, but the phone never turned on. This morning i connected the phone to my computer, and my files showed i took a screen shot of the screen where have to type in a password in order to use the phone. So apparently, my phone is still functional, but I can't see anything on the screen. Any suggestions?

your lcd may have went out. normally that doesnt happen when you get a water damaged iPhone but im working on one right now and thats what happened with it!

pooryou

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2007
NorCal
I accidentally swallowed my iPhone (don't ask). Should I try to induce vomiting or wait for it to come out another way?

Gadgetgeezer

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2009
Any water damaged phone must be presented to a decent repairer ASAP. I have fixed quite a few now with contact cleaner, a small brush and a pin plus my trusty microscope. Sooner you get it there the better since corrosion soon takes hold.

Rhs30

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2011
Iphone Water Damage.

My Iphone just got wet as well. I got home from a baseball game and put my uniform in the wash with my phone in the pocket. My stupidity caused my phone to go through a whole wash cycle. I'm letting it dry for a couple days before i act, however, I came across a sight which claims 90% success rate at drying Iphones. At 40$ it's much cheaper than the above mentioned fix of $249. Hope it helps.

http://www.ifixyouri.com/blog/?tag=iphone-4-water-damage

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
My Iphone just got wet as well. I got home from a baseball game and put my uniform in the wash with my phone in the pocket. My stupidity caused my phone to go through a whole wash cycle. I'm letting it dry for a couple days before i act, however, I came across a sight which claims 90% success rate at drying Iphones. At 40$ it's much cheaper than the above mentioned fix of $249. Hope it helps.

http://www.ifixyouri.com/blog/?tag=iphone-4-water-damage

The site seems suspect

Minimazooda

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2012
About 10 minutes ago, dropped my iPhone 4 in the toilet. (Lesson learned: do not carry around your iPhone wearing no case in your back pocket.) It was in the water for about half a second when i snatched it up. Luckily having a towel nearby, I dried it as best as I could. it is now in a bowl of dry rice. BUT, I've been reading on here that if this happens you should not turn it on. Mine was already on and then it flickered and went out. The tiny LED light is on (light blue light). Do I have any hope of it recovering?

LuckiestMan

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2012
washed iphone 4, let it sit 5 days, works great

Don't fret! There may be hope!!
I ran my iphone 4 thru a complete washing machine cycle (cold thankfully) and naturally it didn't turn on when I pulled it out. I tried a couple times but it didn't work. That was probably a good thing.

Put it in a bowl of dry rice for 4 days, then dismantled it using these instructions http://www.techrestore.com/iphone4video/ .... and this chart for keeping track of the screws (very important) http://www.techrestore.com/downloads/iphone-4-screw-chart.pdf

Then I put a hair dryer on each component for about 5 minutes each, including the battery; back in the dry rice bowl for 1 more day and then reassembled. Pulled out my wife's battery and put it in my phone and low and behold - it worked!! No worse for wear. Put my battery back in, didn't work at first, but then I plugged it in to a charger and now it's working perfectly. Drying it out in the dry Colorado climate probably helped, but surely it's not the deciding factor.

Can't believe it, but it's awesome. Spent no $, just about 3 hrs of my time.
Hope this helps somebody!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.