I dropped my MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fcbarcelonacata, Feb 18, 2007.

1. fcbarcelonacata macrumors newbie

and now there is a dent in the corner that is bothering me. can they fix it if i take it to the apple store? is tha covered under my warranty? i mean it all works fine but i really dont like it.

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

sorry mate, your out of luck. A radio fell and cracked the display on my parent's MBP and they couldn't do anything about it either.

3. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

Sorry, seeing as how Apple doesn't cover against accidental damage, I'd say you're out of luck. But you could take it in, hope they don't see the dent, and get them to think something else is wrong and then they'll give you a new computer. No? Never hurts to try, does it? :p

4. fcbarcelonacata thread starter macrumors newbie

ok so much would they charge me to fix the dent, or do they not fix things like dents? woudl it be expensive to get a new bottom? just liek the covering case

5. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

does it make the computer unusable, or do you just not like it? it'll cost a fair bit to get it fixed. This site might have the part you are looking for.

6. fcbarcelonacata thread starter macrumors newbie

7. fcbarcelonacata thread starter macrumors newbie

everything works right i'm just a perfectionist so it just bothers me

8. BiikeMike macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

Interesting, I'd like to know more about those as well!

As for Apple fixing incidental damage, its WAY too expensive. You'd be better off going to a place like techrestore.com

9. munckee macrumors 65816

I saw a macbook with one of these on it recently. Didn't look too bad. Anyone know how it would effect heat dissipation through the case? Can't imagine a thin plastic case would make a huge difference, but on a MBP it might make more difference than a MB.

10. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

Unless you want to pay 250$ for a new case, I'd say learn to ignore the dent.

11. BiikeMike macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

$250 would be cheap!

I was told over 4 bills!

12. Stadsport macrumors regular

Assuming it's still 100% functional, I say keep it. BATTLE SCARS :D

13. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

Look on the positive side-

1. Thank goodness nothing broke.

2. The dent will be a perpetual reminder for you to be careful with your MBP.

14. emac82 macrumors 6502

I work for a National Computer Retailer in Canada, and we are big Apple reseller..We sell a lot of accidental warranties on laptops, especially Macs...

AppleCare is great, but it doesn't beat the Accidental Warranty we sell..

15. v-ault macrumors regular

The same thing happened to me. It was a little dent. It bugged me at first, but I learned to live with it. It also definitely reminds me to really take care of my MPB. I don't want to spend the money to fix it, because I got low-end cd2 MPB. I'm just going to buy a new MPB in 2 years. I'll make sure I'll take care of that one.

16. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

The replacement bottom is expecive, but compared to having to get a new computer...your in better shape, the power of great engineering. What you can do too is instead of getting a new bottom, you could take it off and try pushing the dent back out, could work could not depends on where and how big the dent, but maybe worth a try.

17. Dunepilot macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

There's always household contents insurance, if you have that? My gf did the same thing to her 15" PBG4. We left it alone in the end, after similar investigations.

18. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

Yeah mate, I think you are better off just leaving it. I broke the display of my PB two years ago, and Apple charged 600 bucks to fix it (not to mention they took it from me for a whole week). If it's purely cosmetic, just let it be, and try to be more careful.

19. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Why do people post "MacBook Pro" questions in the Mac Pro & PowerMac forum?

20. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

Becuase it's too hard to look down one more line...

21. Chef Medeski macrumors 6502a

Chef Medeski

$250 is just the part. Apple will want to do a battery of tests and charge a nice penny for labor. I wouldnt be surprised if it went over $500. They quoted me for a dent at $600. They said though they had to change the top and bottom. But then I told them this is my first mac and I was dismayed at how easily it dents. So, they said ohh well for switchers on first repairs we give 1/2 off. So it would be $300. So, you might get lucky and only pay $200-250.... ha... lucky. But somehow I managed to convince the guy that it wasnt fair that this thing didnt take any beating since its a laptop and I got if for free. And then 1 month after it comes back I get huge dent in the corner. My computer is just whack now, the whole right side is bent. THe corner looks like it was in an accident with a hummer and the only battery that fits is the one thats in there and dont ask me how to get it out. ANd unfortunately now everytime the Sudden Sensor Motion goes off, OS X freezes. So, if you AppleCare, fixing it might be wise. Since if a problem ensues down the road theyll blame it on the bump. But if they fix it and run diagnostics. Well then they have made sure there is no problem, except for the one they fixed. But... if you are going to be worried about every dent, you are quickly going to be spending more than the computer to fix it. Just my two cents, I know it probably just makes you feel on confused inside.

22. emac82 macrumors 6502

I woudn't bother fixing it. It's like a Windshield on a car, if you get a chip or a crack on a windshield on a new car, and fix it right away, you are still liable to chip or crack the new windshield, so you are wasting your money.

23. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I have kind of a funny story about my phone that relates to that... I got my enV a month ago and a week after I got it some idiot pushed me while I was holding it and it took a nasty fall, had some pretty intense gouges throughout the case, and it bugged the hell out of me. 2 days ago, the front LCD died, and I got a replacement! Now I am going to be more careful (even though it wasn't my fault) Guess I was meant to have a perfect phone lol.

24. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I was gonna ask if anyone noticed that...

25. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

I've read here that it provides pretty good ventilation. The problem with it is that the thickness of the case adds another layer between the body of the computer and the hinge of the LCD, effectively making the opening angle even smaller...that is unacceptable.