I dropped my powerbook........

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by keisuke_7, Feb 5, 2004.

1. keisuke_7 macrumors newbie

After 38 days of buying my first mac, a powerbook 12 dvi, i have dropped and created a dent in the left speaker.

is there any medication at all to get rid of this tormenting feeling that i am feeling right now?

I know for sure that if this was a wintel laptop, e.g. a dell or even one of those vaios, i wont be feeling like this. for some reason there is a magical touch to macs. the purity and innoence with them that other brands dont have, and now i have destroy this touch. even though i can't actually see the damage as of now while i'm typing on the pb, there is still a sense that i have "dirty-ed" it. it's like if you have trodden on your dog's feet and it's wimping along given you the wimping sounds and looks. i can barely face my powerbook now, i have a guilty consicence facing it.

Man....... I wanna cry.......

2. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

I am sorry to hear that!! I ended up going with an ibook for my portable. I figured that I would freak out if I dropped a PB. So I get an ibook, and I still think Iwould cry if I dropped it. There is something great about macs. :D

3. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Where is the speaker on the 12 inch? I thought they were on the back. That wouldn't be so bad. Or do you have a 15-incher? If so, you might be able to open it up and knock it out from the inside.

4. Hodapp macrumors 6502a

Hodapp

I just accept that all my electronics will eventually get scratched, dented, dropped, scraped, etc. That way when I eventually DO drop my iPod and accidentally kick it across a parking lot, I don't go home and shoot myself in the face. :)

It's all part of owning... well, anything! Adds character! :cool:

5. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i freaked out when i frist dropped my ipod i was hysterical but then i realized it will happen

6. sjjordan macrumors 6502

I've dropped my pismo a few times. It's actually done flips on its way to the floor. Still runs perfectly though. No problems.

7. the future macrumors 6502a

I totally understand how you must feel. I think the pure craftsmanship and attention to detail obvious in any and every Apple product just makes you care more about it's condition than you care about other, lesser products.

8. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

I droped my iPod that was hooked to a tunecast 4 foot on a cement floor and it did not even skip. It was not until I turned it off and turned it back on I got the sad iPod logo. lucky for me a hard reset broght it back to life now it just has a small battle scar on the chrome

9. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

I dropped a new Game Boy Advance SP on the gravel side of highway 41 when I was running to the scene of an accident. I had to comb the ditch on the way back to my (unharmed) car. The nice shiny Game Boy now has a little bit of character on the back. Thankfully, my powerbook and iPod have been safe for the 80-some days I've been enjoying them.

::knocks on wood::

10. tomdavies macrumors newbie

The coolest thing about the first Star Wars movie was how everything looked as though it actually got used, unlike the pristine, shiny Star Trek etc, look.

11. KC9AIC macrumors 6502

KC9AIC

you really feel evil if you've damaged an apple product. They're so lovable! My family has named all of the macs that we've owned (we've lost count how many that is, but it's in the high teens). I've kissed macs before after not seeing them for a while, and had a birthday party for an iBook. They're just so endearing!:D

12. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

We take care of our things here at UFP and on the Enterprise.

13. Mac/PC Dave macrumors newbie

Well thank god you don't have a dell!! A friend of mine had a really nice dell laptop, (sorry cant remember which one) After having the thing for about a week, he went to open it and the entire screen fell off!!! We tried dell customes service for about 2 days to have them fix the problem, and when we finally got to a service representative that new what they were talking about we realized that they were in india!!!!!!!

We finally sent it back and got a refund of the price. It took me about 3 seconds to convince him to get a powerbook and he did. He ended up getting a 12 inch fully loaded and has not had a problem yet.

Apple's are the best, i know from experience. If every computer were as reliable as a apple, those poor indian service reps would be out of a job. :(

14. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Do yourself a favor and get a nice protective case for your laptop to greatly reduce the chances of this happening in the future. So it may not show it off as well, but it will sure help protect it.

The first thing I did when I bought my Rev.A iPod was buy a SportSuit neoprene case for it. To this day, the chrome is flawless. The Mac Genius at my local Apple Store said he'd never seen a 1st Gen iPod in such perfect shape. Now I realize an iPod is trivial compared to a laptop, but the same idea applies. It's definitely a smart investment.

15. beefcake macrumors 6502

My cat kicked my TiBook off a 2.5' desk onto a hard wood floor. Not only was there no damage to how the PB operated, but the fall actually reattached a corner of the bottom panel that was loose.

16. VladDracul macrumors member

My 17" PB got scratched during christmas while it went thru the security check up at an airport. I didn't realize until too late that they now require you to take out your laptops out of the case and place them on an empty recipient so that it goes thru the x-ray machine on it own. When I realized it was going to get scratched, I tried to run to the counter; but the security guy stopped me from doing so.

17. davida macrumors newbie

he needs help guys, not pitty....

Try to talk to an apple store or customer service. Maybe they a replaceable part or some other suggestions. Or, one of those dent removal services for cars.... maybe they can suck it back. Difficult to know since I do not know how extensive the damage is.

Take care,
    davida

18. john123 macrumors 68000

john123

You need help.

19. jevel macrumors regular

May I recommend an excellent therapist called Dr. W. T. ***? ;)

Seriously, you´re exaggerating, aren´t you? :confused:

-KJ

20. john123 macrumors 68000

john123

This is the first time I've read something on here and actually laughed out loud.

Thank you!

21. KC9AIC macrumors 6502

KC9AIC

regarding kissing macs,

I was low on sleep, and was doing it partly to aggravate my sister, who owned the computer. I'm not really that disturbed. At least none of my imaginary friends think so.

22. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

on kissing macs

I don't think there is anything wrong with that... I don't think I'm mentally disturbed, and I've kissed my iPod (it fell) and G5 (it arrived). Is there something wrong with me? Please help me!!!
    -Chase

23. jevel macrumors regular

:D

Good to hear... Just curious here; did it kiss back?

-KJ

24. KC9AIC macrumors 6502

KC9AIC

No, but it had a wonderful Aqua flavor.:p