I drove 1,000 miles to be rejected, thanks to my Mac

Discussion in 'Community' started by 2A Batterie, Sep 18, 2004.

1. 2A Batterie macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

I just returned from a rather lenghty date with destiny. I recently saw an ad for musicians wanted for a major professional organization, and decided to apply. I'm a young professional of 23, and this group is made up of the cream-of-the-crop veterans, so the odds were stacked against me. To be invited to audition, the organization wanted a rather extensive package that included audio, video, photos, and a resume. To create and organize those, I used my brand new G5 with ProTools, teamed with iMovie and iDVD to put all of this on DVD. This was the first time I used iMovie and iDVD, so it was an experience. In the end, I created a very interesting package that was all contained on the DVD... it was almost like a website. The organization was very impressed and invited me to audition.... I couldn't believe it! It was like the Yankees asking a tee-baller to tryout. I had to drive my old, gas-leaking van 500 miles through remenants of Hurricane Ivan to the audition. I spent $220 for two nights in a hotel. I paid an arm and a leg for gas. I got to the audition way early. I was asked to come in and start my audition. I got to play for about 15 minutes. I was asked to stop. I got shot down. Very quickly. I got in my van and drove 500 miles home.
    Although the rejection hurts my pocketbook and my ego, they did compliment me on my demo. They were very impressed with the layout and how it was presented. I don't think they have ever seen anything like it. The audition was humbling, but also has inspired me to come back with new musical fury. I think I was way out of my league, but sending them my DVD made on my Mac set me apart from everyone else. The way I see it, my G5 gave me the opportunity to blow 3 days and close to 1,000 dollars and miles all in the name of chasing a gig that was over my head. It was worth it just for the experience and learning. Without sending that whoopass demo, I don't think I would have had the chance to get that musical beat-down.

2. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

As I read the first few lines and the title I thought something along the lines of the mac making incompatible disks was going to come up, but it's nice to see it did not let you down. Unlucky with the audition, but I'm glad you're viewing it as a valuable experience which I am sure it will prove to be.

3. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

When I read the title I thought it was going to be the typical," You own a Mac? Get out!" thing. They see this great piece of work but, when they realise you did it on a Mac they are in disbelief and kicked you out because they didn't know what they were thinking due to there perspective on Macs. But, I am happy that the Mac made one of the best pieces they seen. Good luck on getting your dream Job.

4. 2A Batterie thread starter macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

I checked the DVD on several different players and it worked on all of them. I spent a hell of a long time on it, so I made sure everything was dyno-mite! I'm thinking about compressing some of the DVD and putting it on my website.

5. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

i thought you drove 1000 miles to go on a date... like with a person...
    but that really sucks anyway..
    what do you play?

reality

6. 2A Batterie thread starter macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

Monopoly, Life, etc.
    On this audition I was playing drumset, my main instrument.
    I also am trained in "Classical Percussion" as weel as performing a variety of ethnic styles.
    I do alot of my work in recording/arranging/producing with ProTools, Logic, Reason
    Working on getting my piano/keys, bass and guitar chops up. I can play, just nowhere near as well as the tubs.

7. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

So are you complaining that your Mac did to good of a job? :confused:

8. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Yeah, that's what I like about the pro-Apps. They make it so easy (well, relatively) to create projects like that. Sorry you didn't get the gig, but maybe they'll keep you in mind for future stuff. Or send it to someone else who might be better suited to what you do.

Make sure to keep a couple of copies on hand to give to others as a demo, just in case something else comes along. You never know.

9. haiggy macrumors 65816

10. 2A Batterie thread starter macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

No, I'm saying that the Mac-produced product helped get me an audition, and an extremely difficult one to be invited to at that. This gig is pretty much the "best of the best" and I'm flattered just to have been considered. They were impressed by my demo, which I wouldn't have been able to produce without the aide of my Mac.

11. 2A Batterie thread starter macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

Thanks for the props... always good to have some positive feedback after not winning an audition.

12. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Y'know, if the DVD made that much of an impression, maybe putting stuff like that together for others could turn into an interesting sideline. It could be a creative outlet and a way to network.

13. 2A Batterie thread starter macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

I've certainly thought of that, and it is a good idea. I think I could be very successful in a music -related field, such as management or production or creating demo packages for others, but my true desire is to create music. I want to be involved in the creative process of new ideas in regards to performance and creation of music. That may seem vague or contradictory, but it can get pretty long-winded. In short, I want to play/write/create music and I'm going to stick to my guns on that. Goals worth achieving are never easy.

14. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

That's what I figured, and that's where the networking part of it could be interesting. It could offer the chance to meet helpful people with a little less stress than cold auditions. That can make a lot of difference if currently you've got more potential than experience; prior positive contact can make someone more sympathetic to the idea of taking a chance on someone new.

15. iAlan macrumors 65816

iAlan

A lot of talent for 23....

Great music, great webpage. I am sure there is a strong future ahead for you. All the best with your future endevours

Loved the taiko pictures, living in Japan I get to 'experience' taiko at various festival and events. I cannot get enough!

16. sebisworld macrumors 6502

Your site is wonderful. I'm quite experienced with web design, but I don't have a clue about flash, so I'm just sitting here wondering "how did you do that"... but you should set a non-serif font for the text on the page, it would look a whole lot smoother

17. winwintoo macrumors 6502

Those old farts probably asked you to stop playing 'cuz you were too good for them not the other way around. They were thinking how the heck would they keep up with you!

Your stuff is amazing and you have a real future whatever you decide to do.

Congratulations on not being accepted by that group. Now you know you're good and you can go on and do whatever you want.

m

18. zv470 macrumors 6502

Dude, cool website, especially the gallery page. Rotating flat shaded cubes -> cool :)

19. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

From one musician to another - congrats on even getting an audition. You said yourself, it was no piece of cake to even get a sopt with that group. As far as not getting the gig, you know what they say: One door closes, another opens.

Cool site, nice playing.

20. 2A Batterie thread starter macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

Thanks for all the big ups everybody! I'm dragging myself out of my shame spiral and am going to push even harder this time. Trust me, I was not too good for the gig. I'm not discounting my skills at all, but there probably are only a handful of players in the world that can do that gig. 99.9% of the "musicians" you see on MTV couldn't get that gig. It's funny how this major acts really aren't amazing musicians, but just entertainment/eye-candy, while their back-up band who gets no attention or credit are the great musicians. Anyhow, I've written "No Mercy" on my snare drum head on my kit and I'm coming back with a vengance. Thanks all for the encouragement.

21. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz