I expect Mac sales to slow

Discussion in 'macOS' started by amac4me, Jun 6, 2005.

1. amac4me macrumors 65816

amac4me

Overall, I think today's Intel announcement will immediately hurt Mac sales. I know that I wouldn't want to purchase a new Mac if I knew that the processor will no longer be available next year or in 2007.

I expect anyone considering a Mac to feel the same way. I think today's news will seriously slow the Switch To A Mac. I believe that potential switchers will have second thoughts about purchasing a Mac until the move to Intel is complete.

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Absolutely - however, Apple might still be able to pull some magic out of their nether regions and provide us with something we'd be willing to buy.

My whole feeling on the thing, aside from a bit of disappointment, is there are too many things that are going to happen and we just have to be patient and wait and see.

I'd still be very tempted with a dual dual core PowerPC

D

3. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Depends on who you are and why you're buying - for most consumers and prosumers, you may be right. Although if my Mac died tomorrow, I'd go out and buy a new Mac rather than anything else on the market.

Consumers/Prosumers won't be buying new PowerMacs but I suspect video professionals who expect to upgrade their computers on a yearly basis to keep things moving quickly will still buy the dual 2.7 G5.

4. iBunny macrumors 65816

They need to drop prices alot. Try to get rid of all their PPC chips while they still have them.

I wouldnt want to buy something now. Weather all this stuff will be backwards compatable or not whatever... you never want to buy something during the end of its life if its forseeable. Its just bad buisness and waste of money.

5. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

Im about to get a G5 in the next week or so. Im not put off, I would rather have a G5 now, and get a Intel based system in 4 years when its all settled down. At present most of my software is a year or two out of date as current vers just wont run on my machine(g4 733) or I just cant afford to get every update for all my software. I haven't had a chance to read all the stuff coming out today, I hope Apple doesn't abandon hardware & we can look forward to 'G6' Apple Hardware. I would still rather pay more for an apple 'System' than osX on a dell!

6. iGary Guest

iGary

Give it a week....next Monday people will be making guesses about which processors we'll see and be excited about the switch.

Just took some of us by surprise, especially those of us who have been drinking the "Pentium's Bad" Kool-Aid™ since the G3 (I'm one of em').

As long as they market the chip as something other than "an Intel such and such," I'll be happy.

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Ah, good to see you're still around!
    :D

Everything will be fine, you'll see....

8. iGary Guest

iGary

Yeah, I mean what am I gonna do, use Windows? :eek:

I watched the Keynote and feel much better now that I have seen the actual transition plans.

9. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Dual P4 Newton tuesday!

Or, to reduce inventory, quad G5 iMacs!

10. mcadam macrumors 6502a

mcadam

... yes, you "threw up in your mouth a little" right in the frontpage thread, IIRC your immediate reaction earlier today, hehe

But apple sure has a lot of explaining and ensuring customers to do, though it sounded very comforting that they've been doing it from the beginning with OSX.

I trust apple. It's often emphasized they're a hardware company, but they're certainly a software company too. A big part of their genious lies in the fact that they're both and that it's the same design and user experience philosophy in both.

I just hope the transition will be as soft and succesfull as possible.

A

11. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I was able to load OS9 on my 3 month old PB. How long has OSX been out, 4 years? Apple supports its old operating systems so there's no question in my mind that Apple will support PPCs. The question is however, how much support for third party programs. Really though, unless you use some specialized, high priced software and ever changing software I don't think it's going to be a problem.

12. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Same, it was very reassuring. :)

13. amac4me thread starter macrumors 65816

amac4me

I think people who are considering purchasing their first Mac will think twice about it. Overall, I think this may put a kink in the growth of consumers "new to the platform" because why would they commit money to a system whose processing core will change? I myself have been considering a Powerbook ... I now have second thoughts about one.

The motivation is the surge in demand for Notebooks. This past May was the first time that notebooks outsold desktops. Apple had no choice to move to Intel because of the speed issues with the current G4's and the known issues with the G5.

I guess time will tell if my theories are correct. I think "Wall Street" will be keeping a close eye on Apple's hardware sales for the next several quarters. Overall, I wish Apple good luck with this endeavor and I hope this move to Intel was a wise move.

14. iGary Guest

iGary

I'm still buying a dual proc Mac at the end of the year. I'm not at all concerned. This will blow over in a week. Not until new product release become imminent in the spring will there be any real effects of the transition.