I feel compelled to say this..

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by TheBunnellFarm, Mar 28, 2005.

1. TheBunnellFarm macrumors regular

As you all know I have been working with the monitor/projector issue now for a couple of
    weeks or more, here is my unexpected conclusion and then I will let it rest..

Both is the absolute answer..I know I can't speak for everybody but here are my views.

Nobody that switches from Dial-up 56K Internet Service to High Speed Broadband or Cable would ever consider going back to Dial-up except by necessity, the difference is night and day..thats not to say dial-up isn't any good, we all know it's very good, it does the job very well, high speed just does it better..

The difference between Monitors and Projectors is even greater..even to those rare few who have dual 30 inch LCD Displays..

Here is one way of saying this, incidentally I'm not talking everyday work projects here, for typical computer usage, monitors are far the best, that's why I am saying both, for things that are "showy" like navigating web sites or live action stuff or animated or "real" types of things like music videos and hundreds of other "fills the screen" types of things, monitors don't even come close.

The one is like standing about ten feet away from and trying to look out through a small window at this beautiful spring day with the birds flying and the sun shining and the wind blowing, all this seen from ten or more feet away, looking the best you can through this small window, say twenty inches square, seen from a distance of ten feet, trying to look out at all this..versus..

Walking outside and seeing and feeling and smelling this whole big wonderful world that you are standing right in the middle of.. night and day..

That is my conclusion..

Tom..

Back to work

2. cmvsm macrumors 6502a

cmvsm

If you want to continue to post here....stay off the drugs.... :D

3. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

So... you're going super size?

...not the 14" CRT.

4. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I'm at a loss for words...What does this mean?

5. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

6. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

I think the OP is advocating LCD or DLP projectors as an alternative to a massive LCD screen, like the Cinema displays.

I agree, as you can get a nice projector for the cost of a 30" Cinema display. But, bulbs die quickly, and cost an arm and a leg to replace. Personally, I'd only use a projector for watching movies, since each hour the thing is on, it's costing $$ in terms of bulb life.

7. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I plan to get a projector one day, and convert the basement into a private theatre. The above poster is right however, I'll only use the projector for the occasional "special" movies and gaming. TV, computer and casual movie watching all go on a regular TV/monitor. $$$, man, $$$. :)

8. ct77 macrumors member

This too -- how about electricity bills? Does a projector use more than an LCD monitor?

9. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

In other words:

Projectors pwn LCD and CRT monitors

or

Projector > Monitor

10. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

vouder17

11. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

haha :D

12. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

That sounds awesome that you are going to setup your own home theater. I have a semi home theater with a partial surround sound setup. Also have a Sharp liquid crystal projector. Only use on special occasions. Have owned it for about ten years, still original bulb.

13. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Ten years old? They made LCD projectors back then where you could clearly see the pixels. It's only been the last couple of years where projector technology has been cheap enough. But most are still noisy and the bulbs are way too expensive.

I'm thinking of building a ten seat theater with the latest projectors and audio sound system, but I need the room and the funds. It's always been a little dream of mine.

14. MarkCollette macrumors 68000

MarkCollette

I thought it was how we should all go outside and enjoy the real world, instead of staying on our computers :)