I feel like a browser whore!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MACDRIVE, Jan 21, 2007.

1. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Last night I downloaded Firefox and was playing around with it; tonight, Camino.

They're both nice browsers, with each having their advantages, but Safari feels more like home. If I could figure out how to make the tabs bigger on Safari, I think I'd be happy.

Where's the spell check on Camino? I right click on a word as I writing this, and I just get copy/paste; what the hell? :confused:

Firefox's spell check is smoke'n fast. Safari's works about half of the time.

So far Camino seems to be the closest to Safari in terms of style, but where's the History tab? They've got it buried inside View. Why? :confused:

I wonder how much HD space I've taken up having two extra browsers. :)

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

You can grab a nightly via the development page, spell check is in those builds (right-click an underlined word for suggestions).

Recent nightlies have a separate History menu.

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

You can't click and drag a tab and reorder them in Safari. That's actually my biggest complaint about Safari. Well that, and certain websites refuse to work, and certain video files can't play even though I have downloaded everything necessary for it to work.

4. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I'm not quite sure what you mean. I downloaded the latest nightly, and still no spell check. :(

5. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Just to put an end to this thread, I'm back to using Firefox because of it's excellent spell check. I'll keep Camino in the Applications folder for a novelty. :)

6. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Safari does this in the 10.5 betas so it will come.You could try the webkit nightly builds they may do it already I haven't tried yet.

7. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I use Safari on my Mac, and Firefox on everything else.

Safari just looks ":apple:-ish", and I think FF contrasts too much with the OS X theme.

But FF looks great on Windows, so I use it there. (Plus, you know, getting away from IE)

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Camino became better with CamiTools. Still, even though I'd been using it since version 0.5, I deleted it after starting to use Firefox version 2.0. Camino just broke too much for me.

9. Aarow macrumors 6502a

10. zflauaus macrumors 65816

Yep, I'm a browser whore too. I have Safari, Camino, Firefox 2, and Opera. No clue why I have Opera. Just novelty.

I also have Entourage, Thunderbird, and :apple: Mail.

I am using Firefox 2 only because I think it's faster than anything else. The interface integration is.... ehh.... but it's better than the earlier versions of Firefox. Those were HIDEOUS!!! I also use Firefox because I can scroll side-to-side on the tabs bar, unlike Safari and Camino where they extend the extra tabs into it's own little menu. That annoys me.

11. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Is that the only browser you have or use? :D

12. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

You can make Firefox look much more Apple-ish by downloading the and applying the GrApple theme from addons.mozilla.org.

I've pretty much switched to Firefox completely... the GrApple theme really helped.

13. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

I use Safari on my Mac, Opera on my PC and IE6 at school (they literally force it upon us).

14. zflauaus macrumors 65816

I feel your pain. For K-8, unless they changed it this year, they are forcing IE6. Luckily high school has Netscape available on Novell and I use that whenever I can. It's much slower loading up than IE6 or anything else, but it's better than it.

I also tried IE7 on a computer that had it at school. The text rendering as absolutely appalling. I was almost ready to rip my eyes out. It was blurry, not sharp, and it was like a multi-colored black text, like it was red and blue. Absolutely horrendous. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Now I'm on my Mac and I'm happy.

15. UserofMacOSX macrumors member

UserofMacOSX

Is that similar to the way PC screenshots look on a Mac? I find their graphics horrid on a Mac.:eek:

16. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I do the same thing. I can't let go of Safari, but on a PC its a different story. I can't stand anything but FF!

17. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

That sounds more like a problem with the monitor.

I've used IE version 7 and it wasn't bad at all, though I felt that things were placed in odd places just to confuse people.

18. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

What is that small strip of white between the dock and the bottom of the page in Firefox? At the far left of the strip it will say "Done." :confused:

19. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Have you not noticed all the information being presented during page loading?

The status bar also supports a place for extensions to display information.

20. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Using Safari for that "Mac" feel. I've gotten FF to be a little faster than Safari with the hacks on google, but there's a non-Mac feel about it that doesn't go away with UI/performance mods.

Firefox and links for the other OSes.

21. lexus macrumors 68000

lexus

I use:

Safari
    Camino
    Firefox
    Shiira
    Flock
    Omniweb
    Opera

Not all at the same time but rotate using Safari as my principal browser.

P.S. Since when is there an :apple: smiley?

22. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Primarily Firefox but I'm liking OmniWeb a lot (the tabs handling is great and it has a spell checker) I am new to it but I'm quite happy with it. I use Safari occasionally but I've never been dedicated to it.

23. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Well, now I'm using OmniWeb. It seems similar to Safari; which is a good thing. I think I read on their site that it's not free, that I can try it out for 30 days; after which, I have to purchase it. :(

Edit: OmniWeb says I can purchase a license for $14.95; how long does that last?

24. El Magnificante macrumors member

Are you reading this Apple? Your browser looks cool but "just doesn't work" :apple:

/broken record