I feel like it's my Birthday, Chirstmas, Hanukkah, and New Years all in one...

Discussion in 'Community' started by MacFan25863, Aug 4, 2005.

1. MacFan25863 macrumors 6502a

MacFan25863

Ok, so I go to a brand new school, West Ranch High School in the Santa Clarita Valley (north of Los Angeles, home of Six Flags Magic Mountain). Last year was our first year, and we were stuck in portables on a parking lot of a local Junior High while our campus was being built. Well, in just over a week, our new $85 million dollar school will be complete and open for business. As an active member of ASB, West Ranch TV (daily news show), Marching Band, and some other things, I have been at the school everyday helping out for the past few days, and will be there everyday until school starts.

Well, our TV program just got all of our equipment in today. Our studio is fully outfitted with lighting, a control room, and all the goodys. We just had to fill it. And...wow...did we ever.

Today, I got to unpack:
    • 2 Dual 2.7 GHz PowerMac G5
    • 1 Dell 24inch Widescreen LCD
    • 1 Dell 20.1inch Widescreen LCD
    • 5 iMac G5s (2 20inch and 3 17inch)
    • 11 eMacs
    • 1 15inch PowerBook G4
    • Final Cut Studio
    • And, of course, all the video stuff (5 Studio Cameras, 2 video mixers, 2 audio mixers, microphones, etc)

:eek: I was in heaven. I know where I'm going to be hanging out at lunch for now on!

I'll post pics of our Mac-happy video studio as soon as its all set up (we can't plug anything in until they finish painting and wiring the lighting....they are seriously working 24/7 to have the school ready by the first day of school on the 15th)

I'm so excited!

2. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

i can't wait to see pictures of this! that's awesome!

3. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Awesome. Cannot wait to see what the resulting setup looks like... :)

4. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Sounds amazing.

I can't wait to see some pic's of this setup.

5. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Awesome! Too bad my new school still uses baige Dell PCs with windows 95.

6. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I know the feeling somewhat. I work at a high school over the summer setting up their computers. Earlier this summer I unpacked 26 iBooks and another 26 eMacs as well as a new 20 inch iMac. It was all unpacked in the same day in a 30 foot by 30 foot, and by the end it smelled so heavily of 'new computer' is was almost nauseating, I had to open some windows! :eek:

7. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Really? I always have to close windows. ;)

8. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Lucky bastard.

And minor correction on Hanukka...

Normally Israeli children get some money. Some to keep and some to donate. Not a really big deal. In the U.S. it was souped up to compete with Christmas.

9. MacFan25863 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFan25863

Yeah, I know. I'm either full or half Jewish, depending upon how you look at it, so I thought I would just throw it in there to be equal :D

But yeah, I can't wait to do some wicked awesome work on these things. Just have to wait for the contractor to finish the room!

10. zflauaus macrumors 65816

Lucky you! I wish my school had something like a morning TV thing. I think I am the student with the most technology knowledge, so I would definatly be behind-the-scenes. But no. Well, I can dream, can't I? :D

11. MacFan25863 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFan25863

Yeah, I'm the same way...the tech guy at school. I am definatly a behind-the-scenes guy as well. I'm the director of the show.

You should try to start a program. Most schools already have coax to all the classrooms. All you need to start is a camera and a dream!

12. zflauaus macrumors 65816

We've had coax in our school rooms for ages. Our school district just spent $6 million dollars on a new school for the K-4th grades so we would be in one place. I wish they had another grant to start a morning TV thing. I wouldn't be the news caster though. I don't have that great of camera friendly-ness. What does your TV show at school do?

13. MacFan25863 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFan25863

Well, we havn't done an actual show yet since our portables last year wern't wired, but here is what we (me, the producer, and our teacher) are planning on doing:

We are going to have a 10 min show, with a 30 second intro. Our news anchors (2 anchors, 1 weatherman, 1 sports reporter) will talk about the latest school news (such as school events, dances, etc). We also will have an "ASB Corner" where, once a week, we will bring in our ASB President to update the school on what ASB is doing. We will air commercials and perhaps student video projects from the general Video Production classes.

Once we get on the air, I'll put an episode up on the web that you can look at. It really is a great thing, since its so much more personal than PA announcements or written bullitans. I'm sure if you were to talk to your principal, they would be more than happy to help you find a advisor and set up a program. All you really need to start is a camera, a tripod, and some cables. This can run as low as $400. As long as you keep the show professional, you will always have the backing of the adminstration. You just have to be careful you don't let anyone on air who will do something bad (I did a similar, but far less advanced, program in Junior High, and someone flipped the camera off during the pledge. Principal wasn't too happ y with that!).

If you need any help at all trying to start one, I would be more than happy to help out. I've had over 4 years of experience doing this type of thing, and I can tell you, it really is something you won't want to miss out on.

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

My window closes all by itself. I phoned and asked if I should be worried, but I was told that it's actually quite normal and that I should learn to accept it.