I feel sick

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by iostream.h, Jul 12, 2005.

1. iostream.h macrumors regular

Mar 4, 2004
    Albuquerque, NM
    I have been out of town for three weeks, and didn't take my iBook with me. When I came back home to use it, everything made it stall (opening a Finder window for instance). I had to force shut down, and trying to restart left me hanging at the white apple screen. I've finally booted to target disk mode on another computer, but even trying to access the HD via the Finder makes the computer I'm using to get data off stall until restart. I am able to get in via terminal, but any cp command stalls completely. The iBook showed no signs of these issues before I left (and I know it was not touched). I really am at a loss for ideas on what might help me recover this data. Anyone have some thoughts?
  2. joecool85 macrumors 65816

Mar 9, 2005
    No idea what is causing it, but sounds like you might have to do a clean install of OS X.
  3. patseguin macrumors 65816

Aug 28, 2003
    Sounds like the hard drive took a dump. Was the laptop lugged in while you were gone? Maybe a power surge hit it.
  4. law guy macrumors 6502a

law guy

Jan 17, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    You've probably already zapped the PRAM; run a disk check utility if the system were stable enough... Hmmm. There are little reset switches on the PowerMac G4 motherboards, but I don't know if there's something like that somewhere inside an iBook. Apple store nearby? Perhaps a tech could work out the issue. I share the curiosity about a power surge expressed above.

There are companies out there that specialize in recovering data off HDs, but I hope there's a solution for you short of that.

Best of luck getting this resolved.
  5. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

May 3, 2004
    Hamilton, Ontario (CANADA)
  6. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

May 2, 2005
    yeah, it sadly sounds like a bad HD.

I hpe you have AppleCare!!!
    Run to the Apple store and have a genius look at it.
  7. topicolo macrumors 68000

Jun 4, 2002
    Ottawa, ON
    Yeah, anytime you've been away with the computer off and return to find it not working, you can usually bet its a hardware problem. The hard drive does seem to be the culprit here though.
  8. bodeh6 macrumors 6502a

May 18, 2005
    1. Did you leave it on or in sleep mode while on your trip or did you turn it off completely?

2. Did you have it plugged into the power outlet? If so did you have a surge protector?