I feel so sorry for this guy.

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by coopdog, Feb 21, 2004.

1. coopdog macrumors 6502a

Link

I have no idea what I would do if I was charged with something I did not commit.

I hope he sues the kids that lied. At least he can live the rest of his 10-20 years in style? :rolleyes:

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

*jeopardy music* what is... the reason we shouldn't have the death penalty? ding ding! There's a case in this same batch of a father and son accused of molesting 30 boys they were tutoring on computers... the father died in prison, and the son is now making a plea to get out. Turns out the testimony of every single kid had been manipulated by the prosecution. They unleashed hypnotic memory regression on the kids, by people who simply put the ideas in their heads. don't get me wrong, hypnotic regression is a powerful tool, but it's impossibly easy to make a suggestion while trying to get information. They need to set up a panel team to review all of these cases on special grounds of improper conduct.

as for my death penalty comment, there have been a huge number of death row inmates set free because they were exhonorated... some were exonerated post-humously, sadly. Federal studies indicate a need to put a moratorium on all executions pending review, but so far they've been pretty well ignored... :confused:

the ACLU on the death penalty

paul

3. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

That is a very sda situation. I wonder why the son is not willing to admit that he lied, if that's the case. Paul, I don't think that the death penalty should be used for child molestation. Now that we have DNA, we are able to include and exclude suspects.

4. Awimoway macrumors 65816

The whole justice system is messed up. Police investigators and district attorney are too carnivorous, too efficient at what they do. They'll cheat and lie to get people to confess or bear false witness because they feel that the ends justifies the means. They completely lack the ability to tell whether a suspect is innocent. "That's not my job," they'll tell you. But if it isn't there's, it won't be anybody's because precious few suspects can afford the investigative resources at the disposal of the government.

And that's really messed up.

5. TimDaddy macrumors 6502

Versailles, KY (and that's pronounced Vurr-sales)
    That is very sad if he really didn't do it. His life is gone. They can't give that back. And what does he get when he gets out? I think it's usually cab fare and five bucks for a value meal. Even if it is proven he never did any wrong. Guilty until proven innocent.

On the death penalty, I think there should be extremely strict rules proving beyond the shadow of a doubt that you commited the crime. Reasonable doubt can carry life in prison. But it should be much harder than it is to take an accused criminal's life.

6. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

what a nightmare. I don't even want to think about what he went through in prison as a convicted child molester.

7. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

After the first person said they were lying there should have been a formal investigation...

And where did his appeals go?
    :confused: