I feel the need, the need for speed, with, The Blue Angels!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Bunnyman4, May 2, 2006.

1. Unorthodox macrumors 65816

Unorthodox

WEEEE!
    The blue angles used to have air shows where I live.
    Ah, when I was a we little lad....... :cool:

2. aquajet macrumors 68020

Looks like fun. :D Wish I could have that opportunity...

3. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i once saw the air force thunderbirds practicing low level stunts above a business park and golf course (a few miles from the air show they were to perform at the next day) and it was amazing to hear those screaming f-16s so close up

it terrified my wife who was unwaware of who they were and i told her what an air force officer told me, "they are cowboys in the sky"...i have to agree it was very rodeo like and exciting watching these pilots do their stuff in jets painted in a very evil knievel pattern

4. Shamus macrumors 6502a

Shamus

That would be an incredible experience. Hell of a lot of power behind that thing.

5. Bunnyman4 thread starter Guest

I can truly understand what that must feel like, with unrelenting pressure, pushing on your body, when you take the G!

Yeah like to stick “Top Gun” on tomorrow, with the "THX" "JBL pro"at full afterburner test!

6. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

what is interesting about the blue angels, as opposed to their other jet team counterparts, is that they don't wear g-suits

7. Bunnyman4 thread starter Guest

Talk about the “Mercury Seven” they truly do have, “The Right Stuff”!

[​IMG]

8. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i will never forget the scene in the movie the "right stuff" when the astronauts had to give "samples" to nasa, and that strange nurse, she was like a dominitrex

9. Bunnyman4 thread starter Guest

The poor lass was killed in 1986, in a helicopter crash, you read more hear.

Jane Dornacker As Nurse Murch The Right Stuff 1983

[​IMG]

Date of birth (location)
    1 October 1947
    Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
    Date of death (details)
    22 October 1986
    New York, New York, USA. (helicopter crash)
    Mini biography
    Jane Dornacker was a U.S. Postal worker turned comedienne and musician...

Actress - filmography
    1The Right Stuff (1983) .... Nurse Murch

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0233870/

10. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

Wow! What a ride. I watched all the videos and they were just incredible. A shame they only let reporters get a ridealong.....

11. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

That was great :cool:

Best of the best right there. 99.999% don't have what it takes, me(and apparently that guy) being part of the majority ;) Just give me the global hawk and a remote :p

12. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I got to watch the Angels in action last year for Fleet Week in San Francisco, from a house on top of Russian Hill. It was pretty sweet to see the formation and passes that those pilots can do. Hats off!

13. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

This is going to date me, but my first air show was in Panama, back in the early 70's. In those days, the Thunderbirds were flying F-4 Phantoms. Man what a noise! And they flew LOW. I remember them practicing for a couple of days above our house, we would go outside and lie back in the grass, and watch the show. Still impressive after all these years...

14. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

That there is. :eek: :D

15. Unorthodox macrumors 65816

Unorthodox

I wonder how fuel efficient those engines are....... :cool:

16. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

that's exactly what i saw there, near julius castle restaurant, back in the 90s, but i don't know if that's considered russian hill or not

i was seeing them fly around very slowly in circles but they stayed fairly high and didn't do any stunts...i was totally pissed...i think they were just doing some routine tests

but i did get rewarded a few years later with the what i mentioned from one of my previous posts here with the thunderbirds...but i bet the office people there, many of them lawyers and medical professionals, were the ones being pissed off when they heard their buildings rattle from those jet engines just 50 ft. above ;)

17. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

they are definitely a rare breed

my air force buddy, a major, basically told me the difference between them and another elite group (astronauts)...where the astronauts are very rare, they are, as depicted in the movie "the right stuff", a very cerebral bunch good at both being pilots and having other useful managerial or scientific skills and many possess master's and phd degrees from elite universities...they are very good at following rules and are never irreverent towards authority...they know the military system and the political system that funds them..and they know how to work the press making them good politicians in later life if need be (glenn and shepard are a couple of examples)

stunt pilots in fast jets are, though smart, almost the polar opposite to astronauts but just as elite in their own way...think nascar driver...and then think dale earnhart...the perfect trailer park boy made great relying more on the steering wheel and guts in a way the average middle class college boy could never understand...for more on stick and rudder cowboys, read about chuck yeager (my childhood hero, along with pappy boyington)

i am not a pilot, but the few air force officers i know seem to tell this story over and over when i ask them questions about airplanes and space shuttles and they don't get sick of my enthusiasm as an armchair pilot...but either way, a stunt pilot or an astronaut is as rare as a major league baseball player or a member of a top nba squad but they don't get paid as high ;)