I feel the need to VENT

Discussion in 'Community' started by mariahlullaby, May 19, 2005.

1. mariahlullaby macrumors 6502a

Jan 19, 2005
    I HATE when people refuse to even remotely keep up with the times!! I am a high school student, and I'm sure this sounds trivial, but Monday I had a presentation due for my Chemistry class, so I brought a power point on my USB thumb drive (which I've done for all my other classes for similar things) and my teacher gave me this really disgusted look and told me she didn't think she had a place to "put it in the computer." I pulled open the panel in the front (we have Dells at school) and put the drive in, only to find her stupid computer didn't have the right driver. She got really irritated with ME and told the class to make sure they put their presentations on something "safe, like a floppy disk" (I decided not to mention that not only did I not have a floppy drive, but it wouldn't hold my power point). So I emailed the PP to her as soon as I got home, and she still counted it late. :mad: :mad: And what REALLY gets me mad is that last week I had asked her I could come in early to check to make sure everything worked out -- since my Mac is new, I just wanted to check with compatability and such. She got mad at me and asked if I even knew how to use PP, as it's not that challenging, and told me NOT to come in. :mad:

Ok, I'm done venting. But don't people like that make you so mad?!!!!! :mad:

*deep breath*
  2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    I'm so sorry! Your teacher sounds like a major dork, dear. :(
  3. TreeHugger macrumors 6502

Jun 30, 2004
    Wow. That is horrible. I was lucky to have a teacher in high school who encouraged Powerpoints and schooled us in them too. He was a mac user, and was more understanding when one of the school's Gateway's was screwed up or we had some technical difficulty...
    Sounds like your teacher has some technical difficulty...
  4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    Its a pain sometimes, but get used to it - it will happen again, more often than you probably would like. In the future, you should just make sure you know what format or data medium you need.

Good luck,

5. skubish macrumors 68030

Feb 2, 2005
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    Those who can -- do. Those who can't -- teach.

--(HL Mencken)
  6. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    Although I agree with you, I would have emailed it to her as a just-in-case thing. If you send it from something like Gmail then you could have downloaded it from the Sent Items folder.

So although I agree with you, you could have done some other things that would have allowed you to keep your points...
  7. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

Apr 18, 2004
    i had a sci teacher one year who did all her lessons in nothing but powerpoint... freakin' awesome for note taking.. it was like a steve jobs keynote..daily... lol :p
  8. mariahlullaby thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jan 19, 2005
    LMAO!! H. L. Mencken is a funny man :p

But yeah, next time I'll back it up on CD and upload it onto my webserver. Just irked me.
  9. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

Apr 19, 2004
    Secret Moon base
    I think you were right to assume a USB drive would work, they are very common these days. If it was a million dollar contract I would have taken precautions such as sending an email or doing a test run, but for a school assignment it is a valid assumption.

I'm also quite shocked that a teacher would be so closed minded. You would think that someone who hangs around young people all day would find it hard not to be aware of things such as USB drives. I would assume she had a whole drawer full of confiscated ones! :)
  10. xsedrinam macrumors 601

Oct 21, 2004
    Yes. There seem to be two distinct classes of "those people". Those who "don't" get it but at least want to learn, and those who "won't" get it and have their criteria of stagnation all piled up high and deep and ready to spew in the direction of anyone who challenges their status quoed world. Keep both chins up. You will eventually effect change.
  11. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

May 2, 2005
    Oofah, I know how you feel!
    I've never had this EXACT situation happen to me, but once I brought a big presentation to school on a Zip Disk (they were actually common in the school! haha) and the teacher (who told me that the school had zip disks) looks at me like "What is this thing you're showing me?"

Turns out she meant I could put the file in a ZIP ARCHIVE not a Zip DISK.
    Six different teachers later, I finally found one with a zip drive. Emailing the 1.5 MB file to her KILLED the HISD servers for about 20 minutes. (grr.. if only it was about .06 megs smaller! Boo!)

So, when I did a presentation today, I brought it on DVD, had the avi backed up several times on my HD AND emailed to my gmail account. It took 30 minutes to hook my PowerBook up to the projector, though. Stupid Panasonic projector... had to use S-video instead of the other one who's name I've instantly forgotten.

I also brought a thumbdrive to save some work on in the library and I asked the librarian if there were USB ports to plug into. I explained to her what a thumbdrive was, and she points at the floppy drive and says "that won't fit and I know it doesn't go in the CD drive!!" Hee hee.

If you want, you can have all 50 of the gmail invitations I get every day for back up. 100+ gigs! that's a bunch of PP presentations! :D

and whenever anything goes wrong, I roll my eyes and curse the day Windows was conceived!
  12. jeremy.king macrumors 603

Jul 23, 2002
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    *puts devil's advocate mask on*

Since you have done this before - why didn't you run down the hall to a computer that did work and just email it to the teacher then instead of waiting til you got home.

Did you arrange beforehand to present this on a thumb drive? Was the delivery medium explicity defined for the assignment? Does the school have a standard? Why exactly is this the teachers fault? I guess I fail to take pity for lack of planning in advance...

Can you tell my wife is a teacher?
  13. jeremy.king macrumors 603

Jul 23, 2002
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Bad assumption...Most thumbdrives won't work Plug n Play in Windows 98 environments....What do you think most schools are running?
  14. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Jan 23, 2005
    The last part bugged me: "Its very easy to use!"

Based on what you wrote, the teacher felt it neccesary to state that he/she KNEW something. What an idiot.

I hate teachers who get it that day but say its late - my teacher comes into any class 1st pd. to collect the HW so no one can copy anyone - but if you hand it in later, minus ONE FULL GRADE for: lateness and cheating
  15. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    old schol

when i was in graduate school, i had this class, in 1997, that required me to do a lot of research (which is normal for any graduate level class/assignment) but the professor told us we could not use the internet...of course, undergrads were allowed to use the internet all they wanted

that meant going out on foot to do interviews, hitting the libraries and other places to get photocopies of hard copy of material, and not trusting the internet

of course, this meant that we had to spend twice as much time, or more, finding stuff we could have found online through completely reliable online sources like harvard university or a major network news organization

the whole idea was to work our butts off, like they did in graduate school, so we could pass through the fire

i thought this to be kind of silly since the idea of research is to get information and present a paper/speech which is interesting and informative

so what if the computer revolution made research a whole lot easier?
  16. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Jun 3, 2002
    I feel for you . At the school where I work, we sometime run into issues like that, namely with kids bringing in floppy disks (we are almost entirely Apple based). The other issue we have is kids will make their report in WORKS, the put it on a floppy and bring it into print. Unfortunately, we don't have Works on any machines, so in that case, they are s.o.l.

Just a thought: Maybe talk to the tech people and tell them your predicament. Maybe they can load a driver onto the machine so your thumb drive will work, or better yet, ask them to take 5 minutes to burn it to disk. Even bring in your own, if you have too.
  17. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    i hate this quote and will not even go into it besides to say there is a lot more to teaching than you think

im sorry to hear about your problem, really i am, and to tell you the truth, things like this are going to just happen all the time, important thing to learn now is that you should always be over-prepared for situations such as this
  18. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Mar 5, 2005
    There is A LOT to be said for Hard Backups, either OHPs or Just the PPp printed out on paper as evidence.
    - Lesson Learned!

I have had so many issues with windows in the last 4 years of uni, that I always like to have some infallible method.

Never assume (it makes an ass blah blah blah.) - you wont do it again anyway! :)
  19. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Mar 5, 2005
    I hate it too because it basically breaks down to:

Those that can, do, and learnt it from some kind of teacher!
  20. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    I'm sorry about what you have just been through. Things can be very frustrating at times. Just have to live and learn. Hopefully tomorrow will be better mariahlullaby. Will be interested to learn what kind of grade that you receive.
  21. killuminati macrumors 68020

Dec 6, 2004
    And those who can't teach -- teach PE.
  22. sjpetry macrumors 65816

Oct 28, 2004
    Tamarindo, Costa Rica
    What movie is that from?

Sorry to hear about your iPod. :(
  23. Sirus The Virus macrumors 6502a

Sirus The Virus

May 12, 2005
    Almost the exact same happened to a classmate in my English class last semester. He brought a USB thumb drive with his Powerpoint presintation on it. The teacher who was in their late 20's didn't even know what a thumb drive was, let alone a USB port. Anyway, since we have IBMs at my school some running either windows 95, 98, and if your lucky 2000. In this case it was either 95 or 98. So then he put the drive in, there wernt any drivers for it then on top of that since its widows it of corse froze, then a BSOD poped up. So he ended up emailing it to her or something.
  24. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Mar 5, 2005
    School of Rock, but he says "Gym" not PE.
    It's kinda true too.
  25. ham_man macrumors 68020

Jan 21, 2005
    I have this problem too. I often times will try to transport files to and fro school with my USB drive, but sometimes it will not work. So, if I have a major project due, I will e-mail it, burn it to a disk, burn it to another disk, print it out, and put it on my thumbdrive. I guess iti s kinda overkill, but who cares?

On the teacher bit, most of mine recognize that we are pretty comp literate, me especially. Heck, one of my teacher's even advocates the use of thumb drives, and another advocates the use of Macs. Damn, I have some cool teachers... :cool: