I finally converted a sinner

Discussion in 'Community' started by Chappers, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

I have waited a long time to say this but I converted a pc sinner to the Mac platform.

A very cool chap (well he is now) that I work with bought a Mac from work after using a PC for oh tooooo long.

Ok so its an old iMac DV 400 and only cost £80 but its quite nice with a DVD-ROM drive and 128 megs of RAM.

It has MACOS 9.2.2 installed, will it survive a Panther upgrade?

2. iGary Guest

iGary

Got my first victim...errr..switcher a couple of weeks ago.

Good thing there's people like us, since Apple refuses to advertise their procuts.

3. russed macrumors 68000

russed

it will definatly run panther, just put more ram in it! 128mg is not enough!!!

i got my friend to buy a mini which came the other day and indirectly i got one of his friends to get one also!

4. angelneo macrumors 68000

I managed to get my friend to buy ipod shuffle as her new mp3 player after battling with the sales person who keeps on insisting that ipod is a bad purchase and not offering any even comparsion. He was trying to get my friend to buy this jnc (some korean brand) player.

5. Chappers thread starter macrumors 68020

Chappers

Still at least I will go to paradise now and can stop going door to door trying to convert people

6. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Congratulations, isn't it a nice feeling when someone finally 'has seen the light'... :D

Didn't the old iMacs have 2 RAM slots? If so get a 512 MB RAM stick and install that along side (or replace) the 128 MB already there (or replace one of the two 64 MBs if there is two). With 512 MB (or more) that machine will have no problem running OS X. Just make sure you get the correct RAM...

Just keep an eye on your switcher, and make sure he doesn't start using IE and/or Outlook out of habit... actually, just to make sure, delete both programs as fast as possible... ;)

7. mcadam macrumors 6502a

mcadam

that's a very, very good point...

Didn't really make anyone switch, but made quite a few first time computer buyers get a ma...and i guess they were all brought up on pc's in their young days - by a subtle mix of missioning and pure good example:rolleyes:

Have made some pc-users switch from mediaplayer to iTunes - but that's not very hard :D

A

8. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

I think I may have convinced a friend of my sister into getting an iBook. she was staying at my sisters place for the weekend and they stopped over at my place yesterday just so she could ask me about laptops. I'm not the type to tell someone to go with the Mac no matter what but for her not knowing much about computers I thought a Mac would suit her perfectly. When I told her there are no viruses on the current Mac OS she was shocked, not in disbelief mind you. I just let her play with my powerbook for a few minutes, answered a few questions and when she left she said she was now excited about finding herself a laptop which she had been dreading.

9. Chappers thread starter macrumors 68020

Chappers

Valid info - thanks

[/QUOTE]Just keep an eye on your switcher, and make sure he doesn't start using IE and/or Outlook out of habit... actually, just to make sure, delete both programs as fast as possible... ;)[/QUOTE]

That made him laugh ..... luckily we use Macs at work so it shouldn't be too painful for him.

Next stop getting him signed up on here and a visit to the Apple store London

10. markoibook macrumors regular

Since me and two friends took the plunge and bought an ibook 2 years ago, we have convinced quite a few people to switch - not bad for the uk!
    To date, I know of:
    2 people with powerbooks
    4 people with ibooks
    1 (my parents) emac
    4 ipods
    and maybe 2 (or more) mac minis soon
    (This does not include three of us that originally switched!)

And of course, this is the number of direct switchers I now we have convinced - but I know that some of these people are now convincing their other friends to switch!

11. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

one of my cpu's is an iMac DV 500 with panther- it works fine, but be SURE to add RAM. definitely put a 512 chip in the open slot. :D

12. garybUK Guest

garybUK

I got three people i know online to get powerbooks and when one was stolen he got another powerbook (these are Die hard pc people!!)

My auntie is a nurse with the NHS and wanted a laptop for her homework and NHS courses, so they got a powerbook on my recommendation + airport extreme from John Lewis in Cheadle. My cousin then proceeded to get a powermac.

My mate loves mac's now ... he always still moans that the mouse isn't as accurate as on windows which i kinda agree on but he's set on getting a mac mini now.

My little bro has ordered a mac mini as well and my little sister has my old ti powerbook.

13. chanoc macrumors 6502

chanoc

Not a switcher, but new user story!

My roommate has never used a computer until I bought a Quicksilver G4. To be nice I got him an OS-X For Dummies book. He is up and running Safari, iTunes, Mail, and IMing. :cool:

14. adamjay macrumors 6502a

adamjay

i've converted a few folks over the years, but also helped some folks buy the right PC and taught them how to maintain it.

not everyone is going to make the leap, so my advise to you would-be exorcists... be gentle, don't force it, and if they WANT to switch, they will - you just be the guide. :)

15. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

The 400DV handles X WONDERFULLY, you just need to pop in another 512 of ram. I have over 100 of them, and I have yet to see one die. It may or may not need the 4.1.9 firmware update. (Or is that 1.4.9? Whatever)
    As for "converting" him, unfortunately you did no such thing. I guess I would liken it to "My friend drives a Ford, but I think he should drive a Jeep, so I convinced him to buy a 1972 AMC Pacer."

Buy X for him, then he'll really see something.

16. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

If my roommate gets a Powerbook as planned, he will be my 7th switchee.

I'm Steve Jobs's dream come true!

17. maya macrumors 68040

maya

You people are starting to remind me of Jehovah Witness. Stop freaking the rest of the Mac User Group. ;) :)

18. Chappers thread starter macrumors 68020

Chappers

Er its just a light hearted joke..... even my friend who just made the switch sees the funny side.

Relax a little

19. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I've converted a whole school from PCs to Macs (by foolishly volunteering to take care of all of them myself), but I haven't been as successful with my coworkers. It has taken me a long time to get a few of them to buy Macs. Yesterday afternoon I helped one of them set up his new Mac mini, which arrived early in the day.

I gave him a once-over beginners lesson. One part was that I showed him how easy it was to install Apple's software updates, and then I was horribly embarrassed when the iPod update produced an error message, something about the temp directory not being accessible. What th!? Since he doesn't have an iPod ( yet :) ) we quickly moved on to something else. Everything else went beautifully.