I finally did it....

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by scem0, Jul 19, 2002.

1. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I finally did it. I out-used my iMac. My poor rev. D classic iMac (333 MHz) is DEAD. It wont turn on... It starts to turn on, but then makes an odd sound just as the moniter changes from the black of being off to showing color. Before it can show any color it just turns off. The screen had been making.... popping noises before this, so I had assumed there was something wrong with the moniter. This ummmm how should I put it... confirms my assumptions. Does anyone know if this is a common problem or what it might be. What am I to do when my sister moves out - and with her iBook!!! NO COMPUTER!!! Someone kill me quick before I can be subject to such a gruesome fate!!!!! :(

:::Tear:::Tear:::

I need a shoulder to lean on – or a pillow since it is 6 in the morning and I have yet to get some sleep. Well, help would be appreciated. I am going to look on the apple website to see if I can dig up anything for now.

:::more tears:::

2. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

That sounds like a HD problem. You might be able to change the HD. Call up Apple and see what they say.

3. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Could be the power/analog board. That provides power to the display as well as the logic board.

Call Apple and see what they tell you... 'odd sound' is a bit too vague to help, was it multiple beeps or something else?? If you get a few beeps and then it shuts off it could be bad memory (even good memory goes bad).

A bit more information will help us to help you more... Otherwise you will be SOL.. :p

4. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

My feeling is that it's a HD problem also. If you can get the machine working, run DiskWarrior or TechTools.

5. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

If it was the hard drive, the system would boot up, but would have the flashing "?" on the screen. With the computer shutting itself off, and having made 'popping' sounds before, it sounds more power related. Then again, bad memory will bring it down hard as well.

6. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

7. scem0 thread starter macrumors 604

scem0

Well it is the analog board. I checked it out. It costs 265 dollars to fix. WHen I heard that I said HA! That computer is not worth 265 dollars. Well, that computer served me well, but it is time to spend all my money and get a new computer :::I act as if im sad but im really excited inside:::. I think I will get the 7470 g4 with DDR, and buy WC3 and then im set. :D. My poor iMac... It still has a place within my heart. Y'all got any ideas of what I can do with an old broken iMac? hmmmmmm comp aquarium.... :)

8. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

If you really don't want it, I'd take it, repair it and give it to my niece and nephew. That way they get to see how well Mac's are. :D

You can pull the hard drive if you want, since I have a spare ATA drive that I can toss into it. Send me a private message to make arrangements, hell, I'd even pay shipping to get it. :eek: :eek: :D :cool:

9. ArtMan617 macrumors regular

Get yourself a 17" Widescreen iMac and all of your problems will be solved...

-ArtMan617