I finally figured out a use for Expose'

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iGary, Apr 10, 2006.

1. iGary Guest

iGary

So the G5 finally went off to the big Apple Repair Shop in the sky (no, it's not dead, but I can't take it's quirks anymore).

That said, I am working on my iBook with my Mighty Mouse and I can see where Expose comes in real handy when you switch between browser windows, Word docs, iChat etc. I have no idea how I would even be able to work otherwise.

Anyway, what a great feature. :)

2. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

so when are you sending me that G5 of yours Gary.

Trade you my non-problematic G5 for it :p

3. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Anyone know how to kook up an iBook to a 30" ACD?

Sadly, I don't have it. I gave it to them this morning. :(

4. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Don't think you can unless you shoved a dual link DVI card in your iBook. Or whatever it's called.

5. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Yep and if you don't have the dual link it will only show half of the display

6. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

Did you not use Exposé on your G5 then? Or was your screen too massive to need it? :cool:

7. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

i use expose all the time on my mac, it really comes in handy with a small screen

8. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

9. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

I envy you for having such a big screen where you don't need expose.

10. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

After an initial 'gee whizz' phase, I rarely use Expose (other than show Desktop) any more. Most of my windows are textual, and since Apple decided not to show the window titles on Exposed windows, I have to mouse over each one to find the window I'm looking for.

In addition, it's too random. Even with the same windows display, you can hit F9 twice and the windows will jump to completely different positions, dependant on which window was frontmost.

With just a few simple tweaks, it'd be perfect.

11. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

All I ever use Expose for is to show the desktop. Although I think my brain unconciously stores the location of all my windows and what order they are in... my brain needs something to do.

12. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

I too thought exposé was a bit of a gimmick when I first played around with it. All that changed, though, when I enabled a hot corner for F9. Now I can't imagine getting along without it... well, OK, I can imagine it, but I wouldn't like it.;)

13. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Maxiseller

When I used to be stuck using windows at work I really missed expose. My mouse would constantly flick over to the top left corner to activate, but alas zip-all happened!

Still, windows 95 has minesweeper. *cheer* :eek: ;) :eek:

14. mpw Guest

Exposé coupled with my 5button BT mouse is something I use everyday, and when I'm at work I'm constantly thumbing for a non-existant thumb button and muttering about how much better OSX is to MSXP.

15. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Set your mighty mouse scroll button to expose when pressed :cool: Dashboard pops up with a squeeze so quick and painless. No hotcorners needed! :D

16. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

expose is the best thing since sliced bread, imho.

I have a 15" widescreen, but with crappy resolution (1152x768), so I've enabled hot corners for all apps, and all windows within an app. A flick on the trackpad and bam! I'm good to go. I love it.

17. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

I have all my expose fuctions bound to my mouse

18. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

I love Expose!!!

I have my top left hot corner for Dashboard

I have my bottom left hot corner for Expose (all windows)

I have my bottom right hot corner for Show Desktop

I work on Windows all day and I am constantly trying to initiate Expose on my Thinkpad...to no avail...

19. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

LOL that same thing happens to me here at work with these damn xp workstations..its funny when im showing some1 something and i do it (hot corners) and theyre like "why the hell you moving the mouse like that?"

20. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

It needs to be reduced in size to 20". Apple charges way too much for that option, but I can do it for free. Just send it up here, and I'll overnight it back to you, reduced to an iBook-friendly 20" size.

21. IanF0729 macrumors regular

IanF0729

Same here. Although when I'm explaining something to someone I find myself hit F9 to activate exposé.

I use it constantly when I am at school, but when I'm home on my iMac I have much less need for it.

22. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I really don't get how people can use hot corners. I always end up triggering them by accident. Maybe when my new iMac arrives I'll give it a shot for a week and see how I like it. I have a notion it will drive me crazy.

23. macOSX-tastic macrumors 6502a

macOSX-tastic

i find expose invaluble for everyday tasks, and sorely miss it on windows. this is why i would wait to put vista onan intel mac, should i ever by one (im talking 1 or 2 years down the line here).

i use 3 hot corners to disable the screensaver, and one to activate it.

S

24. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

I guess what I am saying, is in my normal work environment, I have a Word document open on the left wide, Google Earth open on the lower right, two browser windows opan and maybe mail behind with iChat on the lower right.

I don't think I have to tell you what hell that would be on a 12" iBook.

Anyway, of course I took the G5 into the Apple Store and it wouldn't misbehave. I talked them into having it at the store all day and trying to get it to fail, as it may only happen when it's heated up. I have a Genius appointment at 8 to see if they coul dmake it fail. If not, I will work on it for a half hour or so, and see if that does it.

The guy was helpful, but wanted me out of there quck. I guess that have to be that way.

Yay Expose'

25. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I use expose all the time, so I'm glad you finally appreciate it gary. ;) That said, I find command + tab and command + ~ perhaps even faster for switching between apps and windows. My favorite part of expose is clearing everything away. Gotta love a many-button mouse. :)