Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2Cheap2Switch

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2005
Stanford
I'm currently in High School, and I used to be one of those kids that as soon as I heard apple said "THEY SUCK, MACS ARE HORRIBLE AT EVERYTHING", but ever since I heard about OS X for the first time back in 01 or 02, I've been interested in the Macintosh Operating System and the beautiful of design of the hardware (I'm also big into animations, i.e. Swift 3D, Flash, Photoshop, etc). Then, over the past 2 years I went to a public school where it was half Dells and half Apples. This year, I was lucky enough to get into the animations class at my school this year which used only macs (Power mac G4's 1Ghz which are still surprisingly fast). I immediately was hooked with how much easier it was to do animations on a mac than on a pc. I had used them the year before in Print Tech and had liked them for photo editing and just in general for how simple they were. However, I'm a die hard PC User. My biggest fear of getting a mac was that i wouldn't use it as much and it would be a bad purchase since I always have a top of the line PC. I was also scared that they wouldn't have an application for everything I was planning on doing. Well, last week me and my friend were walking through the apple store here in Vegas (We usually do, he has a mac, and I always like to try the new macs out and look at the various software titles and what not) when I realized that I had saved up quite a lot of money that i had saved over the past 6-9 months. I had the sudden urge to buy a laptop. Needless to say, I called up my parents and asked if if was cool with them if I spent some of my cash on a laptop. They said they were fine with it when I told them how I could do all of my animations for school on it was easier than on my PC, and they also said they were glad that I was finally spending some money since usually all I do is save it up. All I have to say is I love my mac. My PC's video card (x600 xt) is acting up and I need to take it in for repairs (still works but weird lines appear every few minutes or so) and all I've been doing is working on my mac laptop. I just have to say that I've fallen in love with Tiger. I've use the widgets constantly for conversions, translations, and various other tasks, iChat AV is probably the best instant messaging service that I have ever used, I use isync to sync between my palm, cellphone, all of the software titles compatible with isync, and my .mac account, and lastly Itunes is much better and easier on a mac. I must say that I am extremely happy with my purchase and although I hated macs for a while, and even liked them a lot even when I didn't have one, I love them now with a passion. The simplicity of Tiger is unmatched and I'm proud to say that I'm now the proud owner of a 12 inch Powerbook with 512 mb ram, 8x superdrive, and OS X.4 Tiger. I recommend anybody who is a PC User to at least try a mac and even get one if they're interested enough. I still will use my PC, but that will almost always be for gaming and other applications which macs are not so great on. Apple and the Macintosh are awesome and they truly give a great and satisfying computing experience.

-2Cheap2Switch
(I need to change my s/n now since it doesn't apply anymore :) )

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says....great to hear these stories....awesome that you kept an open mind and seen that these things really are good for something! ....oh yeah!

2Cheap2Switch

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2005
Stanford
lol I like the av Duffman. Anyways as to switching the PC Desktop to a G5, lol no way, I'm keeping my PC for gaming. I still have enough $ saved up to get a really reallly nice G5, but I think I'll take small steps, first with the laptop, then who knows? maybe in a few years I'll be a full blown Mac User :D. Btw thanks for the replies and compliments, I'm glad that the people on this board understand that I am keeping an open mind to other operating systems and different ways of computing. Again as stated earlier I would recommend a Mac to ANYONE out there, especially PC users who want a change.

-2Cheap2Switch

2Cheap2Switch

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2005
Stanford
I tried hooking up my usb webcam up to my powerbook but ichat works only with firewire cameras :(. I tried some 3rd party software, but it only works for ichat av 2. But alas an isight is now in my reach :D.

zflauaus

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2004
Congrats

Congrats on the new Mac. I have been wanting one so long and am getting ever so close to my new iBook ($200 or so dollars saved including sales tax). It sounds like the Powerbook will be getting a lot of use. I will be going into the 8th grade (graduating year, thank god) and hopefully I will get my iBook before the summers end for those term papers, and other stuff. Well, congrats again.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
Congrats on the new mac. I must say that is quite a story. We're all proud of you and welcome you to the Forums. Don't hesitate to ask any technical questions, as we're here to help.

2Cheap2Switch

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2005
Stanford
Hey zflauaus I did the student discount and got $100 off. If i were you I'd save up a little bit more and go with the powerbook, I'm definitely glad I chose the powerbook. I've worked on both over a few years and there is a definite difference. Even though the most expensive ibook is cheaper than the least expensive powerbook, save up and get the powerbook. Btw you don't think you'll be using the superdrive alot, but I have and I've only had mine for about a few days now. You'll be really glad if you save up.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
2Cheap2Switch said:
I tried hooking up my usb webcam up to my powerbook but ichat works only with firewire cameras :(. I tried some 3rd party software, but it only works for ichat av 2. But alas an isight is now in my reach :D.

These people have a USB cam driver that *is* Tiger compatible in Beta... (there's a link up at the top, where it says "version xxx is not Tiger compatible"). If you can get it to work, it might tide you over....

http://www.ecamm.com/mac/ichatusbcam/

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
Great post, and welcome.

Now see how many others you can convert to the good side of the force.

2Cheap2Switch

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2005
Stanford
mkrishnan said:
These people have a USB cam driver that *is* Tiger compatible in Beta... (there's a link up at the top, where it says "version xxx is not Tiger compatible"). If you can get it to work, it might tide you over....

http://www.ecamm.com/mac/ichatusbcam/

I already got the isight, and I gave my sisters other friend who doesn't have tiger yet the other webcam. Btw, my sister came home from college and right now in the next room there are 3 different mac laptops. One of them is my friend from earlier that I talked about in my story (15 inch powerbook 1.67), then my sisters 2 friends from college (12 inch pb 1.33 ghz and the other has an ibook although im not sure on the speed), Now all we have to do is get my sister to switch and its all good.

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
2Cheap2Switch said:
What other apple stuff would you guys recommend? I already have a 40 gb ipod and an isight.

Airport Extreme base station or Express :rolleyes: ;)

Edit: BT KB and Mouse and External HDD for backup ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.