i FINALLY got a mac!!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by 758, Aug 1, 2006.

1. 758 macrumors newbie

Jul 23, 2006
    yes yes it is true. I bought a MacBook today directly from the Apple store and it is AMAZING!! Its so small yet exactly the right size (sounds weird doesnt it). It does get a little hot (like many people have said) but not much more than a normal pc laptop, not even hot, more like warm. The screen brightness and resolution are amazing, provided applications are pretty much all ill ever need, and it comes with the front row remote =D! The associates at the Apple store are also very helpful too...so kudos to them! Only problem i have had is with AirPort. It want connect to the wireless network i am staying at...well...let me rephrase, it will "connect" but when i try to browse or do something, it will say i dont have a connection the the internet. In the but the icon by the clock (dont want to say tray and get chewed out...) says that it is connected and has good signal. Anyone have any suggestions?
  2. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Apr 2, 2006
    try going the the network diagnostics, when you open safari, and it doesnt work. that usually helps for me. or turn airport off, turn it on, and re-connect to the router. try those and if it still doesnt work, then come back.

Other than that CONGRATULATIONS!

some coool apps you should download

Delicious Library - you hold any ISBN barcode up to your iSight, and it will read it, get info from the internet and archive it, kinda pointless, but SOO COOL!
    VLC - plays AVI/WMV files
    Handbrake - rips DVDs
    Coverflow - awesome way to browse your iTunes library (you flip through the cover art, like in the good old days)
    This day in History Widget - fun widget
    Macrumors.com Widget - keeps you updated on the current rumors here on macrumors

well that should keep you busy, and i'm sure you will be very very happy:D
  3. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Jan 11, 2005
    Little grey, chilly island.
    Congratulations - enjoy your new 'book!

I had similar problems with the free Orange Broadband at my girlfriends house - and it just turns out the "free router/crap" you get with the subscription wasn't mac compatible - do you use a dedicated router or freebie from your choice of network?

A couple of other good apps:

Coconut battery (keeps you nicely updated as to your battery status)
    OnyX (Nice app that does routine maintennance and cleans out unwanted files etc)
    Transparent Dock (when you see in the "August Desktop" page that everyone has transparent docks you WILL ask how they do it!:p )
  4. benthewraith macrumors 68040

May 27, 2006
    Miami, FL
    TransparentDock is not intel compatible. ;)

Cleardock is the app for you. :)
  5. XNine macrumors 68040

Apr 7, 2005
    Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    try clicking on SHARE INTERNET CONNECTION in the Sharing Pref Pane, that may help your internet connection out.
  6. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

Mar 7, 2006
    I had the same thing recently. It turned out that the phone line and router were not workig properly as no computer could receive wireless.
  7. 758 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 23, 2006
    well, i figured it out. turns out the hotel i was staying at was upgrading their routers and such so no one could get on...not just me. now i am back home and surfing the net with my macbook now, so problem solved! =D
  8. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

Jul 9, 2005
    The town without George Bailey
    Congrats. I'd say...

Adium - for aim and yahoo messenger, and jabber
    VLC - I second that
    Flip4Mac - now universal. Plays WMV files in Quicktime and provides a Safari plugin for .wmv .
  9. 758 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 23, 2006
    just downloaded adium, i love it already.
    i also installed xcode from the disk and it seems like a pretty good IDE
  10. sb58 macrumors 6502a

May 14, 2006
  11. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

Jun 27, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
  12. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

Mar 24, 2006
    Can I ask where you get the macrumors widget? :D