I finally got my own decent website up.

Discussion in 'Community' started by job, Jul 26, 2002.

1. job macrumors 68040

job

Check it out.

http://www.thehub.de.vu

I used some graphics from a freebie site, but I bet that most of you can tell where the quote at the very top of the page came from. :D

There are also a lot of placeholder texts and pages. There is very little on the site itself; but it's a start.

Most of the HTML I coded myself in BBEdit Lite 4.6 :D

I also have my own forums which are also linked at my site. The forum URL is :

http://server2.ikonboard.com/thehub/

:D :D

2. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

great site man, we all have sites now , just about

3. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Yea, it's become stylish to have your own website.

4. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Nice AP scores!

I took English, French, US History, Calculus and US Government/Politics and got 4, 4, 3, 3, and 4 respectively...good enough for me...I entered college as a Sophomore.:eek:

5. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

just about all the major posters have one on this site

I can't wait for Ambitiouslemons site and eyelikearts up and coming site

6. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

Over-achieving bastard... :p

I got a 3 on my Engish 3 exam, and a 2 on my US History exam... My school has a very crapy US history program... We didn't even cover up to the 1950's... This year, I hope to do better... Mostly because the English teacher I'll have is better at teaching, and preparing students for the English Literature AP exam...

Anyways, nice site...

7. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

like the design.

You've not lifted the colour scheme from reason have you ? It looks very similar.

My homepage is here, there's not much content yet but I'm proud of the DHTML. It was a pain to make it totally cross browser, iFrames and Netscape 4 just don't work so it's only for modern browsers like Mozilla, Internet Explorer and Netscape 6.

My site design is kind of influenced by video games and designers republic cover artwork.

It's all done in BBEdit too. I hate those lazy over priced DTP style webdesign applications that generate huge amounts of code.

8. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

oh, one more thing... Does your school make you take the ASVAB (Armed Services Vocation Aptitude Battery, I think :confused: )?

9. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Well I just updated my site today, it's not at my real domain,wesleyb.com ,yet, the old one is still there, but you can see it at my alternative domain. www.tyui.com

10. job thread starter macrumors 68040

job

Yeah, I hope to enter college as a Sophomore too.

We'll see how it goes. :)

11. job thread starter macrumors 68040

job

Heh, if you think thats bad, you should see some of the people at my school. :)

Not that I know of. A rival high school offers ROTC, but that's about it.

12. job thread starter macrumors 68040

job

I got the images off of Elated.com, but other than that, I wrote most of the HTML myself.

Yeah, I tested my page in IE, Mozilla, and Opera. I did not test Netscape 4.x though.

Yeah, keep it clean and simple. :)

13. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

How many hits are you averaging a day? Macrumors tends to bring a lot of traffic.

14. job thread starter macrumors 68040

job

Well, this is the first public announcement of my new site and there have been a total of 75 page views today.

My old site was never really that practical and never got that many hits since it was a blogger/forum site, which limited it to a few of my friends who wanted to keep in touch with me.

15. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

lol tiz true, almost everyone has a webpage...cept most of my friends :|
    but most tech ppl have websites
    i havent been into webpages for a while, supposed to work on a school website soon with an old g3 mac which has os 8.6, and i have to use claris homepage 3.0 to create the pages (bah), and use netscape to view them...
    that ruins my good mac experience lol (if only they had new puters)

n u forgot 2 mention me mac15 :p jk

16. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

You don't need a new computer, a G3 should run HTML editing software just fine (mine does) You need some decent software for it.

17. job thread starter macrumors 68040

job

Get BBEdit and make sure you have several browsers available to preview the code. You'll have to code a lot by hand but it's also an achievement when you have finished coding.

That's what I did, no GoLive or Dreamweaver on my Hard Drive. :)

18. King Cobra macrumors 603

Oh, no. titman made a website! :D

BTW, well done spamming your way to 800. :p

I tested the three web links first posted to each individual member's site using a slow G3 iMac, 28.8k dial-up and Mozilla 1.0. And here is what I think:

hitman, I see you have a solid theme going. It looks extremely organized and well built. But I can't stand the 7 or 8 periods you have for the quote at the top of the page (I didn't have time to count 'em all). Other than that, you get a 5. :D

barkmonster, I also see you have a theme going...futuristic, yet cold as bone. It may look cool to you, but to about the 100 million of those viewing the site I would say a very few would really find the ultra-modern font you used to be attractive or appealing. On the upside, the blue and black variation and readable text looks all right.

W-_-W, that isn't too bad for a website, but it's even better for a 15 year old. For some reason, however, I got blurred text in the NW corner of the browser, where your bio would be when the on-screen mouse moved over one of the "moons". If someone wanted to explore your website more I think that person may feel reluctant, since the blurred text appears to be a bit of a turn-off, especially since it doesn't vanish. The outer space theme is impressive and the font used for clear version of the text is also appealing. Well done. :cool:

19. job thread starter macrumors 68040

job

I'll be at 1000 before you know it. :D :p

Yeah I was not so sure about that either. The original quote ends, so I might change it later. :)

20. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

OK thanks for the input King Cobra, I'll get rid of that blurred text, I realise the site has little content but I hope to take care of that soon.

21. job thread starter macrumors 68040

job

Yeah, mine does not have much right now either. It's sort of hard to figure out what to put on a personal website.

22. King Cobra macrumors 603

>I'll be at 1000 before you know it. :D :p

That will be the day everone on the forums kills themselves. :p :p

As for what to put up on homepages and stuff, I really have no experience with **** like this, but I do have a few suggestions. If you can, just try and keep the page active and update it, if you can, maybe once or twice a week minimum. Maybe voice your opinions on stuff, or even post some links to sites you find interesting. It doesn't have to be what the public wants, but what you want, since it's your homepage. :cool:

23. job thread starter macrumors 68040

job

I'll be the death of you all. :D :D

24. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Ok King Cobra the site is update to your requests, anything else you should I should do?

25. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

i know, the g3s work fine for it, (but the older machines with 8.1 are pretty slow to work that sort of software), but using netscape 4, and claris homepage 3 sucks alot, i'dd rather use ie 4.5/5 and an old version of dreamweaver or something