I finally made the plunge!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by fraeone, Nov 16, 2003.

1. fraeone macrumors regular

fraeone

Well, today I bought my first Mac. It's a shiny little 12" PowerBook and I love it. I have lots to learn about my new little buddy, but it's going to be fun.

Thanks to everybody on this forum that gave me advice as I went back and forth about my purchase.

I guess it's worth mentioning that I have been building PCs for myself and others for 10+ years, and while I'm not entirely a switcher, I still have a desktop PC, I did sell my Dell Laptop to pay for some of my purchase, and I don't regret it at all.

Thanks again everyone

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Let me be the first to say "Welcome to the fold!"*

Incidentally, since you've got a PC, if you've also got a home network of some sort set up, you might try experimenting with VNC if you haven't already--running things remotely on your PC hardware is a lot cooler than running VPC (and cheaper) if you ever have need for something like that).

*Note: F@H pun not intended.

3. Anna macrumors regular

Congratulations...Good luck with it...you will love it!

4. toughboy macrumors 6502a

toughboy

Re: I finally made the plunge!

Welcome!!
    I'm glad to see someone like me, who has a desktop PC and a 12"PB...

I loved mine, and I'm sure you'll like yours..

Have a good time with it, and dont forget to take some time for your girlfriend too!!.. :D

5. fraeone thread starter macrumors regular

fraeone

Thanks for the great advice and kind words everyone. While I haven't tried out VNC yet, I have been playing with Microsoft's Remote Desktop Client, which I used on my old PC Laptop, and really liked. The version for OS X seems to be just as good or even a little better than the pc equivalent.

Now I find myself with a ton of accessories/upgrades that I want:

Crumpler Macbain's Lovechild (Laptop sleeve so my baby can leave home :)
    Griffin iCurve - so I don't get a hunchback
    Crucial 512M - this thing gets faster?
    Apple BT Keyboard - Closed lid mode!

If I'm missing something from my list that should be on there, by all means let me know. Thanks for the advice about the girlfriend toughboy :) She was a champ and went with me to the new store opening just outside of Portland and stood in line--so I'm already grateful.

fraeone