I forgot my username!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by imacintel, May 25, 2006.

1. imacintel macrumors 68000

I have my machine set to enter name and password. I was so used to having it log in automatically, and I forgot my username. Is there a way I can reset this? I really am getting tired of using my winblows machine

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Are you talking about an account password for your Mac?

It depends on whether or not it was the admin password. If so, you'll need the install disks.

This article should help :)

3. imacintel thread starter macrumors 68000

I am sorry, you do not understand.I have lost the Username!

I know the pwd.

EDIT:

Hot Diggity-DOG.
    I used the same password+username, and it worked. But when I booted this time, it took really long

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I don't understand...isn't your username the same as what's in the Sidebar listing as your Home directory?

5. imacintel thread starter macrumors 68000

It is what is in the apple menu>>>log out<username here>

6. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

Yes. Or if your booting up to the login window - aren't you the default name?

7. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Yes...that's the long version. The short version is also the name of your Home directory...either one should work. You can also see the names in System Preferences --> Accounts.

8. imacintel thread starter macrumors 68000

Read the original post please! I have it so it shows two fields name and password.

9. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Looks like your problem is solved, but for future reference, the password utility (on the install disk) will give you a list of user names. ;)

10. supremedesigner macrumors 6502a

supremedesigner

LOL! How can you forget your username so easily? :p

11. imacintel thread starter macrumors 68000

It's a network start... Its some thing like server-client-0123

12. BigSiG macrumors newbie

Forgotton Username

Guys,
    My father in law gave me and my wife his old PowerBookG4. I set my wife up with her own username and password. While it was charged everything worked fine. One day she switched it off and now we need to log into the computer - the downside is I have forgotton her username and she doesn't have a clue either. I think I know her passowrd, but have no clue about the username. I have the boot up disks 1 + 2. It is running OS X. It is the log in screen when you turn it on that we can't get past.

I tried the "c" after the bleep and didn't understand any of the screens - it seemed to want to reinstall OS X - is that the only way we can use the computer again?

If anyone has an idea how to find out what the username is I would appreciate it. We keep avoiding questions from the FIL about how good the Mac is as we haven't run it in weeks, and I would rather not have to wipe al lthe photos and things.

Thanks,

BigSi

As some additional information - when I used the boot disk and went to the reset password utility, i selected the Hard Disk. The hard disk did not allow me to reset a password. The CD only had the "Root" account. I don't know if that is helpful information?