I found a new forum feature! (box collapsing)

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Doctor Q, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

It's not a major feature, just one I never noticed before.

At the bottom left of each forum page is a box titled "Posting Rules".

You can click the button next to its title to toggle it between collapsed and expanded.

Most important: If you collapse it, the forum software stores that setting in a cookie so it'll remember to keep it collapsed from now on.

That makes your pages a tiny bit smaller, the scrollbar a tiny bit longer, and might even require a tiny bit less rendering as you display each page. Over the years, that could add up to valuable seconds saved!

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

On my death bed I'll be thinking of the extra 5 minutes this hot tip gave me ;) :D :p

3. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Thanks for the tip but I couldn't stand not knowing whether I could post in this thread, make a new one, add an attachment or even edit my posts.

5. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

The question is, does Doctor Q already know about the collapsable boxes on the front page of the forums?
    -Chasen

6. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

There are probably some members who should close every one of the forum front page sections except "Mac Hardware" since they spend all of their time in the "Marketplace" forum.

And others who should close all but "Mac Community" since they spend all of their time in the "Politics, Religion, Social Issues" forum.

But I encourage those people to keep them all open, since you never know when a news story might actually catch your interest. :D

7. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I notice this a while back but thought nothing of it. Good job.

Bless

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

haha good job Q, i found this back months ago, and yeah they are all over the site, i don't use them for the forum pages myself as i use the New Posts search more often than not. but good to know its there anyways. :D

9. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Go on – admit it. You're dying to work out a graph estimating how much time it's going to save you over your lifetime... ;)

10. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

Surely the extra seconds I have saved doing this, I have already wasted by reading this thread... Probably MORE than I will save! :( No! :eek:

11. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

Ah, but was reading this thread inevitable? If you hadn't been reading this thread, then wouldn't it be another? It all depends!
    -Chasen

12. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

What makes you think I didn't do that already?

And why doesn't every forum page have a box to let you hide the entire page, all but the ads, in case the rest of the discussion isn't interesting? At least you can simulate that, by putting everyone in the thread on your ignore list.

13. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

If you're really desperate, then put this into a CSS file and then use it in your browser:

Code:
    .page {display: none}
    That'll hide the content of each thread! Then you'll only have the header, navigation, ads, reply button, more ads, previous/next thread buttons, the collapsed posting rules, the time, some more links, the style switcher (yes, there's a text style switcher!), even more links, and some information about the forums. If you did some source code digging, you could hide more things as you wished.

I'm going to have to check the spec, but here's the real kicker: it's not mandatory for a browser to download images that are hidden from view (but don't quote me on this since I *think* I've read this before). That could save you time!

One more thing: have you used the collapsable boxes while posting? They're awfully handy.
    -Chasen

14. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I've been collapsing boxes for ages...

If only they were corrugated cardboard...that'd be loads more fun. :D

15. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Now if we could only find a way to collapse those HUGE pictures that deform your web browser in the picture gallery forum.:D

16. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Because I'm sure that, if you had, you wouldn't be able to resist showing it to us. ;)

17. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

make sure you collapse them in the designated box collapsing area.

18. iAlan macrumors 65816

iAlan

Please make sure they are emply first...