I found a shuffle

Discussion in 'iPod' started by spencerwatts, Oct 3, 2005.

1. spencerwatts macrumors newbie

I found it in my HS staduim, and it was under grass and dirt.

It's really dirty, and don' start ethics, I have my reasons.

So, Uh.. How would I go about cleaning it in the best way?

(It's a 512, and all the songs are Rap :( )

[Edit. I'm not keeping it. I'm giving it to my friend. Thanks for not eating my eyes out.]

[Edit2. And I mean cleaning it, not wiping it, but thanks. :p ]

2. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Which are...?

3. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

I'm not going to start preaching, but think about Karma.

Anyways, it's pretty easy to wipe a Shuffle. Just plug it into any computer with iTunes on it.

4. spencerwatts thread starter macrumors newbie

Ugh.

It was under dirt. It's been rained on. And it's at a public track, so turning it in to the school would be dumb.

Yey.

5. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I would imagine a q-tip and just a touch of water would be the best way to go, although after reading about how sweat has damaged an Shuffle, perhaps not. I the cap was on the USB end of it ????

6. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Well, if you really wanted to do the "Right Thing", you'd inform whoever's responsible for running the track that you found a Shuffle... if anyone came looking for it, they could put the person in touch with you. If they were able to identify the music that was stored on the Shuffle, you'd know it was probably theirs.

But I don't think you have to turn it in... just clean it up (with a damp cloth), find out what music's on it (write it down), and then wipe the Shuffle.

7. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

meh I think a 512 mb shuffle falls under the finders keepers clause. Anything bigger (nano, mini etc) you should turn it in but for something so small, cheap & dirty I wouldn't think twice about keeping it.

8. California macrumors 68040

California

Goody two shoes here: Isn't there a Mac site with id numbers for stolen lost computers? I recall hearing this over a decade ago about Apple computers, wonder if the serial number thing would apply here. I think I saw the site for it a few months back, anyway. Would make ya feel better about keeping it, though. It would me.

9. heaven macrumors 6502a

heaven

Thats a good idea! Better than just keeping it. My conscience would kill me..

10. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada

F that....sell it :eek:

11. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

What I learned in school. "Finders keepers, losers weepers."

12. watcher2001 macrumors 6502a

watcher2001

I agree with the Karma rules on this. You say you found it at a public track?? Does this track have an office? Does the school race/practice there? I would put out discreet feelers to see if anyone has lost "Something of importance" and see if it has been reported lost. Some people may say that "It's only $100, why go through the trouble" I admit that I could probably take a $100 hit, lick my wounds and move on with life. However for some people $100 is a whole lot of money. Think of how you would feel if it was your iPod that was lost.

13. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

14. tangerineyum macrumors 6502

i would say make half an effort to let some one know it was found. if no claims it, you got a free shuffle guilt free.

15. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

I also agree with that. What if it was a gift from a loved one? I would at least go, say you found it and if anyone comes looking for it then they should be able to claim. But it all comes down to what you think you should do.

16. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

i totally agree with this one...

17. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

Yeah i know...but what if i can't afford an iPod and i want them soo badly and now i've got this kinda LUCK?

It's not everyday that you'll find an iPod...

18. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

Yeah i know..it's a dilemma situation here...newayz, i'll keep it...

19. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

if i lost a shuffle running on a track, i wouldn't expect to get it back.

20. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

Exactly...and
    "However for some people $100 is a whole lot of money."
    yeah if that's a whole a lot of money, you would keep it like what...why would you ever loose it if you bought it with lost and lost of money?I mean if it's really such and expensive thing to the person, he/she would have kept it like very very safe and not loose it...

"It was under grass and dirt.
    It's really dirty"
    Don't forget that there might be "some" possibility that the person wants to "throw" it away or whatsover...remember, it's UNDER Grass...lol...

21. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

So it fell out of the guy's gym bag... does that mean he WANTED to lose it?

Losing expensive things happens sometimes; I'm pretty sure it's happened to a LOT of us.

Even though it's "only $100" to a few of y'all, to a high school student (I'm guessing it was found after a high school track meet) $100 is a LOT. (well, can be if you have no time for a job... bla!)

I'd give it to the office.. just remember Karma... Help an old lady with her groceries or give blood or SOMETHING. Even out the universe...

22. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

come on katie don't you know that evening out the universe is bad? Chaos is preferred, cleaned up is bad.

:p

but yes report it lost.

Now just imagine if that person that lost it is a member of Macrumors and sees this.

23. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I suggest cleaning it up and offering it to Lacero as a bribe to change that avatar and swear never to use it again. That image is a much bigger crime against karma than finding/keeeping a 512MB Shuffle. :eek: :D

24. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Hmmm... I was just about to change it back too. :D

25. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

uh-huh.:p