I found a utility that can decompress .z7 files and other obscure formats

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by motulist, Mar 26, 2007.

1. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

A few months ago I looked for a mac utility that could expand files with the extension .z7 (or .7z) but couldn't find any, but I found one now so I'm putting it in the forum database so when people search for it in the future they'll find this answer. It also decompresses Zip, Tar-GZip, Tar-BZip2, Rar, 7-zip (7zip), LhA, and many other obscure formats. The program is called The Unarchiver, and it's free and open source. You can basically get rid of stuffit expander. Check it out.

http://wakaba.c3.cx/s/apps/unarchiver.html

2. Benjamin macrumors 6502a

Benjamin

It is good you are telling others to use The Unarchiver and to not use stuffit if you don't have to, however I've personally suggested using it in two threads just today. :eek:

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

4. motulist thread starter macrumors 68040

motulist

It's not so much as I'm anti stuffit expander, it's that stuffit doesn't expand .7z files, and lots of others. So whichever can expand the most formats and still be easy to use is the winner, and right now that's The Unarchiver.

5. whizeazz macrumors newbie

My only problem is that I can't enter a password....or at least i don't know how....can anyone help?

6. dirt farmer macrumors 6502

Try the latest Alpha version, 2.0. Found here