I found someone's iPod on the street. Now what?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by PSUstoekl, Jan 4, 2007.

1. macrumors newbie

Jul 20, 2006
    I found a first-gen black 4gb nano on the street, in its sleeve, in near-mint condition. I'd like to get it back to its rightful owner (I have enough apple goodies as it is), but how would I go about doing it?

2. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Contact Apple with the serial number, maybe... Does it have anyone in the list of contacts you could... err... contact?
  3. macrumors 68000

Oct 17, 2006
    assuming it doesn't have anything engraved on the back right?

I say you post on craigs list if you are really motivated and post the location you found it and the day, but leave aspects blank such as the capacity, color and the sleve(make and model).
  4. macrumors 65816

May 30, 2005
    Check for notes and contacts first.
    Then check the photos and see if you recognize anyone.
    You could also connect it to your computer, and click 'get info' (in iTunes) on any song that they may have. If it is from iTunes it will have their e-mail address there.
  5. thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 20, 2006
    interestingly, this thing is packed with three types of music: disney, christian and classical. All of it is pirated (tracks have notes like Spaceman Spiff Torrentz)... which creates an interesting conundrum morally, christian yet steals? No photos, no contacts, no purchased music...
  6. macrumors 6502a

Feb 10, 2006
    Western Australia
    is it formatted for mac or windows? this it the big question :)
  7. macrumors 68030

Oct 24, 2003
    The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    You could post in craigslist or in your local paper if they have that type of section, with the expectation that the person can identify what music is on the ipod--you might get a lot of fake calls.

Or just call AppleCare and tell them and they can identify the person by SN--possibly--and contact him/her on your behalf.
  8. thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 20, 2006
    Or just call AppleCare and tell them and they can identify the person by SN--possibly--and contact him/her on your behalf.

That's what I was planning on... how's it done, can anyone give a link? I didn't see anything like that on the applecare website.
  9. macrumors 68030

Oct 24, 2003
    The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    Just call 1800-APL-CARE

I guess you when the automated system asks what you want say ipod....If you explain the situation they'll get you where you need to be..you'll probably have to be escalated to another department.
  10. macrumors 6502a

Jan 19, 2005
  11. macrumors 65816

Aug 15, 2006
    Well Id put it in local paper and call apple. Good job for returning it. Hope the ower finds it! :)
  12. macrumors 6502a

Mar 3, 2004
    Canada's South Coast
  13. macrumors 6502a

Pistol Pete

Jan 6, 2005
    So Cal
  14. macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    My father found someone's blue 4GB mini sometime last year whilst out walking.

1. Looked through the email contacts for a possible email address (there were none).

2. Went through the music looking for iTS purchases to see if we could get an email address there (there were none).

3. Handed it into the police, they sealed it, took his details and 8 weeks after we found it the iPod was returned to my father with the details of transfer so it's now ours free and clear.

It works a treat too - gee they're sturdy little buggers.

So yeah, take it to the cops and get them to record all the details - you may have to wait a while but if it's not claimed you have full legal rights to it.
  15. macrumors 6502a

Dec 14, 2006
    East London, UK
    Keep it, they won't be expecting it to be returned. :p
  16. macrumors 6502

Jun 19, 2006
  17. macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Dec 12, 2002
    I ran into the opposite problem. My son arranged via Craigslist to buy an iPod mini.

We met the guy, and bought it fairly cheaply. When we got it home, I noticed that the serial number had been scratched off the back.

Well, that has the hallmark of stolen property. Since you can see the serial number in the menu, I looked it up on an online stolen iPod directory, and called the police to see if anyone had reported one with that serial number stolen. Both came up clean. (Of course, it could just mean that the person didn't write down their serial number.) Since iPods are so common, and so commonly stolen, there was no reasonable way to determine who it would have belonged to, so we kept it. (In a city of 2 million, there were literally hundreds of silver iPod minis that had been stolen in the previous few months. With no way to match this one with one that had positively been stolen, it could very well have been a legitimate sale...)
  18. macrumors 68000

Oct 17, 2006
    OK I have solved the problem, your description was just the clue I needed to figure out who lost their iPod...

Attached Files:

19. macrumors 65816

Sep 30, 2005
    I was going to suggest this too. I remember a while back Janey found an iPod and was able to return it to the owner by doing this.
  20. macrumors 603

May 26, 2004
    South Mississippi y'all, near the water!
    Thanks for remembering this. I was about to make the same comment.
  21. macrumors 6502

Sep 22, 2003
    Detroit, Michigan
    I hope one of you guys finds my iPod if I ever lose it...

I purchase from the iTMS, so it should be easy to find me. :)
  22. macrumors 65816

Mar 15, 2004

Hahahahhhh... :D

I think the idea of looking up purchased music's email address is brilliant though...but I guess it won't work in this case.
  23. macrumors 6502

Howard Brazee

Oct 24, 2006
    Lafayette CO
    Could you explain to this new iPod user how you could tell that these were pirated? (I am completely ignorant about how to steal songs and so far have only copied my legal CDs - although I have a list of songs I want to buy). I'd like to be able to accurately recognize pirated songs on people's iPods and computers.
  24. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

Mar 22, 2006
    Spaceman Spiff Torrentz is a music sharing website, so that name being in the song's comments means the song was from there. To look at a songs comments, just scroll to the right in iTunes and you should see a comments column. As for recognising pirated songs on an iPod, i think the only way to do that would be to plug the iPod into your computer (but do not sync), and check the iPod's contents in iTunes.
  25. macrumors 68000

Oct 17, 2006
    Maybe in Australia my friend, but over here in the good old USA you certainly do not have a legal right to it. The iPod, depending on the size of the agency you are dealing with will most likely sit in an evidence locker for a long time and then be donated by the police to needy children. My old agency used to do that very frequently with all the stolen bikes we used to recover either from an arrest or by way of nice citizens who brought them in as lost property.
    Nevertheless, not having a legal right to it does not preclude the Chundles' idea from working. But, it would be based off your asking the police if this could be an option, which they will likely say no simply to cover their *ss. But agian, the size of the agency matters. If you are in small town with 50 cops ro something and they tend to be decent set of officers than maybe, but if it is a large agency like mine was, then the answer is more likely a sorry sir, I just cannot do that. Again, I say craigslist.