I Found The Culprit To My Partially Eatin' Rice Cakes...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SamIchi, Jul 19, 2006.

1. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

It was a mouse. The other week I went to get a rice cake, and found a big bite out of it, like a 4th of it. It was in a prefect circle too. So I thought maybe my dad took a big bite out of it or sumthin. Thinkin of nothin else, I ate it. The next day, there were 2 cakes bitten out of. I asked my dad, he said he wouldn't touch those things. So tonite I walk into my kitchen and see the mouse run off. I didn't think about connecting it to my partially eatin rice cakes, but after going into the kitchen couple times and seeing the mouse run away from the same place everytime, I concluded it was after my cakes. Well it was, there was a big hole in the bag, and it had gotten a good amount of it.

Sorry if my story seems stupid but I've never dealt with mice before, so it's new to me.

So my question is, was it ok that I ate that rice cake the mouse bit out of? I can't like get some kind of disease or sumthin right?

2. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

Well, you could have gotten something, but you will notice soon (IE if you notice worms in places in your body that worms should not be...that could be the mouse. Or you could have just eaten a worm.) I guess one of the worse things you could get is rabes but since you are able to tell us this story and are not, say, oh, trying to eat a family member, you are probably good.

3. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Yea it has been like a week and I don't feel any different. I am sleeping more, but I don't think it's cause of the rice cake.

How would I see worms in my body? Could I have eaten a worm?

4. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

Well no...I mean...you wouldn't see the worms in your body, you would see them...coming out. I don't even know if mice get worms but I know cats do because my cat had them. I had to wash my hands every time I petted it because there was the off chance I could get them. Gross, but doubtfully a problem you will have. I guess the worse part is havting to go buy more rice cakes. Why do you eat them anyway? I prefer bagels....

5. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Throw away the rice cakes, leave the box, and put mouse traps around the area.

6. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Or get a mouse-chasing cat. :D

7. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

They don't really taste that good, but I like to eat them in the morning to settle my stomach. It's light and doesn't affect my sensitive stomach. I love bagels too but they go stale so quickly. I like them fresh, really fresh.

They come in a bag, and I doubt that they would be fooled by an empty bag. Cause they rely on scent right? I guess I could keep one and use it as bait :D

8. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

Ahh, here is the secret to fresh bagels. Buy a dozen on the weekend, eat them fresh that morning, then stick them in the freezer (double-bagged). Whenever you want one, take it out of the freezer, microwave it for 30-45 seconds depending on your microwave, take it out, cut, toast, eh voila, delicious bagel.

It grosses out my East Coast relatives (bagel snobs) but it works just fine for me!

9. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

What's worse? A mouse eating your rice cakes, or your cat playing with a dead mouse all over your house/apartment? Meh. You could always teach it to go outside... :D

10. iTwitch macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

Get a couple of those sticky pad traps put it near where you saw him disappear, put a piece of rice cake on it for good measure.

11. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

Or just poison the ricecakes...just make sure your dad dosen't change his mind and decide to try one...

12. user23 macrumors newbie

Disease? Not likely....

First, you can't get rabies. If you feel the need to reasure yourself of this, read this: http://www.rabavert.com/faq.html

Second, you could always try using non-lethal traps. Put some rice cake with a little peanut butter on it in the trap..then set it out before going to bed. In the morning, odds are you will have caught a little fellow. Take it at least 150 feet from your home/apartment...and it will not find its way back.

If you have one mouse, you have probably have a few others :)
    Be patient with the non-lethal trap, you can eventually catch them all...usually after a few days.

Then, once you've got all the critters, look for holes coming from the outside to in your home. I believe mice can fit through holes as small as a dime.

btw: If you happen to have deer mice, then you are at risk for Hanta Virus. However, it's not so common.

13. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Use the non-lethal traps. It seems a bit mean to kill the thing when it's just trying to find something to eat.

14. Phobophobia macrumors 6502

I agree. Use a non-lethal trap and then let it die from starvation, taking dozens of pictures in the process.

15. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I'd worry more about the possibility of disease from the mouse's faeces or urine which may have been on the ricecake or packet. They can carry quite a few nasty bugs. If you get feverish in the next week or so, be sure to see a doctor and explain the mouse situation to him.

16. mpw Guest

Begs the question; Which places in your body should worms be found?

17. dcv macrumors G3

:confused:

I'm not surprised, if you're putting regurgitated bagels in your freezer! :p

18. asxtb macrumors 6502

If you set up traps all you need is peanut butter for bait (you don't need any rice cake). Peanut butter has such a strong scent it attracts mice like nothing else. Set a couple of traps. Like a previous poster said if you see one, most likely you have several.

I prefer the basic spring-loaded, neck-snapping traps. Takes it out rather quickly. I did have a roommate in college use the sticky trap and then pour bleach on the mouse he caught.:eek:

19. Arnaud macrumors 6502

Couple of months ago, I found a handful of peanuts in one of my shoes (!), on the shoe-rack / ground level. I thought that was really weird (obviously) and could not figure out what was happening. :confused:

Some days later, we found a trash bag bitten through, and some small "evidence" that a mouse was around.

And then, my wife and I suddenly see this tiny black mouse darting on the kitchen floor. We closed all doors and chased it, then caught it with a shoe box (turned upside-down...). We slid a piece of cardboard under, and threw the mouse in the grass on the other side of the street.

I think non-lethal traps are better, if you don't forget the mice in them. Mice are not that bad, and the idea of this little one (which we ended up calling Fred, btw) storing peanuts is cute, but maybe I saw too many Disney movies.
    However, when you get a couple of mice, and there's a real risk of invasion with all the sanitary issues, you have to consider more drastic actions.

Two last points though:
    - mice can go in really, really small holes, or under doors if there is a little gap; the fur around them makes them much bigger than they can squeeze themselves;
    - downside of the mouse poison, besides being efficient, is that the mouse dies somewhere, and then stinks until you can find it.

20. lexus macrumors 68000

lexus

21. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

:p

Eat one or two that day while they are fresh, then stick the rest back in the freezer.

Wait...I'm not supposed to have these things growing out of my arms? Uh Oh. I think I've got a doctors appointment to make... :D

22. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

Well, in the future, if you find food that is half eaten - you might want to play it safe and don't finish it.

Are you in NYC?

23. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

Ha! :D

That's probably good advice in general to follow there...

24. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

my dog got her paws stuck in a sticky mouse trap before, it was pretty funny actually :p

My dad uses the sticky ones at his apartment (hard to avoid in an apartment). Anyway you have to kill it, I think snapping it means it dies instantl instead of by starvation, but with animals/kids around sticky ones are much safer.

25. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

Once you get them in the sticky trap you have to drown them. That really sucks :mad: - but you can't have mice running around your house.