I gave Entourage the boot.

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by cleo, Jul 3, 2002.

1. cleo macrumors 65816

Jan 21, 2002
    Tampa Bay Area, FL, USA
    Well, after months of hoping that Entourage would get its act together, I formally removed it from my dock and adopted Mail.app last night. Entourage was crashing literally every time it checked for mail and I had received something (not exactly a pleasant "you've got mail" alert) and also quite often while I was composing mail as well. I just got sick of it.

Mail.app is really much more elegant and less bulky. I would love to have a calendar app from Apple, as that's something that Entourage was really useful for. Also, being able to color-code pieces of mail based on category instead of having to set up rules would be nice, but hopefully that will be coming in Jaguar.

Overall, having done my morning mail routine with no crashes and an added dose of graceful GUI, I am a happy camper with Mail.app.
  2. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

Oct 28, 2001
    Greensboro, NC
    i think the coolest thing about Mail.app is the fact that there are CRAZY amounts of things going on. its basically just a front-end for sendmail and fetchmail. these are extremely complex to get working properly. yet Apple makes it soo easy.
  3. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

Apr 14, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    mails not perfect but it does the job well so I've only used that since getting OSX..
  4. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

Jan 2, 2001
    Metairie, LA
    very true....simplicity at it's finest :D

I just wish friggin' AOL would provide POP support with their mailing service...it's such a pain to have to log into the web everytime I want to check my mail when I have Outlook running in the background all day long while working...

would be even better to be able to use it with Mail...

hopefully...since AOL is working a little bit with Apple...they'll do something specifically for Mac users...

I'm dreaming aren't I? ;)
  5. evildead macrumors 65816

Jun 18, 2001
    WestCost, USA
    I like Entourage

I like Entourage. I have never had any problems with it at all. The only bug I have seen is when the butons on the menue bar disapear and come back only when you move the mouse over them. And I would like to see the abillity to set a rule so any mail with no return address gets trashed. I use rules to filter out junkmail but I cant do much about email that comes from " " (no one).

6. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

Mar 11, 2002
    Franklin, TN
    I have never had any problems with entourage.

I can't imagine using anything else as I have several email accounts (personal, professional, various corporate accounts) and I love the calendar features.

mail comes... gets filtered by one of my "six million rules"... goes to specific folder.. life is good...

Now if it just didn't look ike a fisher-price toy :)