Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hemon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 4, 2014
Hi,

I have an iPhone since the 3GS – since many years. After the 3GS I had every iPhone and now the 6s.
I'm really getting bored from the iOS because it is always the same and I would like to change to Android (Samsung S6) but I'm not secure of that because I don't want to regret this change.

I'm asking if someone has (or had) the same experience.

Cheers

bbrks

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2013
No one can decide for you....so, make a change and see how it goes.....you can always come back :)....just couple of days ago, I got my new iphone 6...that's 4th iDevice I have....and I still don't have enough of it.....IOS rocks

hemon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 4, 2014
No one can decide for you....so, make a change and see how it goes.....you can always come back :)

I know ;). I just would like to know if someone have or had the same experience.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Hi,

I have an iPhone since the 3GS – since many years. After the 3GS I had every iPhone and now the 6s.
I'm really getting bored from the iOS because it is always the same and I would like to change to Android (Samsung S6) but I'm not secure of that because I don't want to regret this change.

Cheers
Jailbreak.

Make iOS what YOU want it to be.

Reactions: nj1266

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Plenty of people have made that kind of a change, and some liked it, some didn't, some had mixed experiences. Same thing has existed the other way around with people moving from other platforms to iOS with also some liking it, some not so much, and others having mixed experiences. Ultimately none of those would really say much of anything as to what it would be like for someone else.

cerberusss

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2013
The Netherlands
Yeah, I made the change a couple of years ago. I was saving up to start my own business and then my iPhone 3G broke. So I bought a cheap Android phone, was happy with it for a year or two.

Some observations:
- it's fun to try something else
- it's not a one-on-one replacement for iOS
- there's no syncing solution to your PC/Mac like iTunes (Samsung has Kies, but it's lacking in features and quality
- OS updates are quite rare
- you gotta love Google
- you can buy a phone for almost any budget
- iPhones are basically comparable with the flagship Android devices, anything below that is usually lacking in one or more areas (camera, video, GPS)

Some phones for instance lack good and quick GPS. With iPhones, you just take it for granted that this works quickly and without fuss. Same with the camera. You expect that the camera app is simple and starts quickly. This varies WILDLY between Android devices.

And Android isn't just Android... Samsung devices look and feel differently from HTC, or the Chinese stuff like Xiaomi and Huawei.

laudern

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
I didn't realise ios was meant to be "fun". I'm obviously playing with it wrong.

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX

Some phones for instance lack good and quick GPS. With iPhones, you just take it for granted that this works quickly and without fuss. Same with the camera. You expect that the camera app is simple and starts quickly. This varies WILDLY between Android devices.

This. I only have dabbled in the Android world once. I had an HTC One Google Play Edition for a while when I got tired of waiting for Apple to come out with a bigger iPhone during the 5S days. What ultimately drove me back was the things I expected to work just didn't all the time. After being used to an iPhone, those moments are a bit jarring. The customization of Android is really nice. But the device simply has to be managed more than an iPhone.

I finally realized I wanted to use my phone for as a tool in my life rather than spend time tinkering with the phone itself. For that, the sameness of the iPhone that some find boring is a real plus. Everything is in the right place and works as expected when I need to write an email or snap a photo. I loved tinkering with my iPhone in the iOS 1 days. But, as I have gotten older and the iPhone has matured as a product, I have found the consistent functionality to be one of its best features.

All that being said, only you can decide what the best decision is for you. It's not like any switch would be permanent. You can always come back if you don't like Android. That's what I did!

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
Hi,

Cheers

Lots have had similar experience. Some like the change and stay with Android (I am one). Others don't and switch back to iOS. You will have to decide yourself.

I think it's best to give in to your curiosity and give Android a try otherwise you will continue to wonder. If you dont want to get a flagship straight away, get a good budget phone like the Moto G. If you don't like Android after a month or two you can sell it and you won't have lost much money. It will be worth it because you will no longer need to wonder whether or not Android is a good option for you. If you do like it, you can then step up to a flagship. This is what I did.

Reactions: tbayrgs

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
It is not like you are quitting your job, buying a house etc. It is a phone and phone os, you can always switch back or use an ipad for ios and android on a phone or any numerous other options

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Do yourself a favor and avoid a Samsung device as your venture into Android. If you stick to that, you may well be returning to iOS. Samsung's take on Android has historically been poor, resulting in laggy performance from the devices and frustration from the owners. People flock to them because of their marketing, getting the carriers to prominently display them in the store and hide other devices on shelves near the back of the store. Sure, they have developed some nice hardware but that's only half of the experience. Also, after the first round of updates (and after the next phone comes out which is this spring) expect to wait an unreasonably long time to get OS updates for it (my Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 tablet just got LOLLIPOP around Thanksgiving).

If you're paying 100% out of pocket, look at the Nexus phones. 90% of what Samsung provides as pre-installed bloatware can be replicated with apps from the Play Store if you find you need them, not to mention that you won't need a Samsung account to update the pre-installed apps. My Nexus 6P is on 6.0.1 already and has gotten the monthly security updates within 10 days of release.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Another reason people choose Samsung is because be real, they have the best hardware around usually

I did note that Samsung has some nice hardware. I'd argue that the Nexus 6P gives them a run for their money in that regard though. I haven't had any issues with mine, it feels solidly built (ignore the idiot gives it his all and bends the phone with his hands) and should survive if you take care of it. The camera even takes decent pictures.

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
Agree, N6p is amazing. I would rank that and the Note 5/S6E+ as the best phones out

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Nexus 6P is hands down the best smartphone on the market, mainly for running stock vanilla Android. The Note 5 I would put second.

The iPhone 6S I would put like 50th last place of a phone I'd get today. iOS feels like it's stuck in the year 2007 still. Nice home screen, did you leave the app drawer open with all those icons on the screen ? LOL

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I did note that Samsung has some nice hardware. I'd argue that the Nexus 6P gives them a run for their money in that regard though. I haven't had any issues with mine, it feels solidly built (ignore the idiot gives it his all and bends the phone with his hands) and should survive if you take care of it. The camera even takes decent pictures.
Nexus 6P and Note are even steven to me. The camera on the Note is better, the software on the N6P is better. Simple as that.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Nexus 6P and Note are even steven to me. The camera on the Note is better, the software on the N6P is better. Simple as that.

Totally agree, Nexus 6P or Note 5, both equally best smartphones of 2015, can't go wrong with either. To me, there's no other phones on the market besides those two.

Go HAWKS :)

Reactions: AustinIllini

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Totally agree, Nexus 6P or Note 5, both equally best smartphones of 2015, can't go wrong with either. To me, there's no other phones on the market besides those two.

Go HAWKS :)
Agreed, and if it weren't for the camera, I wouldn't even include the Note 5.

Also, like for the Hawks leading at the first intermission.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois
Agreed, and if it weren't for the camera, I wouldn't even include the Note 5.

Also, like for the Hawks leading at the first intermission.

I'm using a 6s Plus but keep looking at the 6P, Note 5, or One Plus 2. I love my iPhone but I don't think it's worth the premium price over the latest crop of Android phones anymore.

flameproof

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2011
I had an iPhone for some years and switched to a Nexus 5 when it came out - and never looked back.

With Android you get more functions because the system is more open. Example, with iOS I couldn't edit Dropbox TXT files, in Android I can. I can surf the file system - that is a HUGE advantage! In iOS I couldn't D/L a movie and watch in VLC, no, I was forced to use iTunes. And then you have hardware advantage, Apple is always a few years behind the latest. Like, I have wireless charging (I love it!!) and NFC (I use it sometimes for online payments).

You want Samsung S6, ok, certainly a good phone. Quite expensive though. What I don't like is that they add some bloatware. But I guess you don't have to use that....

A few month ago a bought a $100 Chinaphone from Meizu. Yes, I know, it's cheap plastic. But I wanted a cheap phone, and I got what I expected. The Nexus costs 3 times more - but it's NOT 3 times better. The Meizu has no wireless charging and no NFC, other is pretty much same (Meizu has a slot for a 2nd SIM, or a SD card, Nexus don't). As a 2nd phone it's perfectly ok.

The new Xiaomi/Hongmi 3 looks good, a metal phone for $100.... (and this from somebody who hated China phones till recently)

PS: I also have an iPad, but also here, I like the Samsung Note 8 more. The accessible file system makes things so much more convenient. Unfortunetly it got stuck on Android 4.* and is getting a little bit slow.

Last edited:
Reactions: apolloa

hemon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 4, 2014
uhm don't know if I would go with the Nexus 5x/6p because the samsung is faster (see youtube) und has a much better audio chip. Then I like the home button for the apps.

ichii

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2006
Hi,

Cheers
I was the same way except I started with the original iPhone and switched after the iPhone 5 went to android/windows couldn't find a phone I like and switched back to the iPhone 6. Just switched to Samsung Galaxy Note 5 and I don't know if I will go back to the iPhone :D They do have a promotion where you can test out one of the galaxy line to see if you like it for a $1

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
uhm don't know if I would go with the Nexus 5x/6p because the samsung is faster (see youtube) und has a much better audio chip. Then I like the home button for the apps.

Also bear in mind that whilst Samsung/Touchwiz bashing is a fairly popular pastime, a lot of people are fine with Samsung's take on Android.

I do wish that Samsung devices were updated at a bit of faster cadence and that I could uninstall bundled apps that are not part of core Android (although these are issues with most non-Nexus Android handsets). But I think the rest of the negativity that comes up when people discuss Samsung is hyperbole.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.