I got a 12" Powerbook!!!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by hugemullens, Apr 8, 2003.

1. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

hugemullens

Life is good! I LOVE this computer, the screen doesn't feel small, and it is sooooooooo light weight! If anyone was thinking about getting one, GO FOR IT! Yea!!!

2. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

Mine is coming tomorrow.....God I can't wait! :)

Have you tried AirPort yet? How is the signal?

3. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

so freg u decided on the 12in pbook rather than the iBook. I'mm sure you will be happeir either way.

4. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

:) Kwyjibo, You don't know how much what you just said means to me. Sometimes I feel as though after 200 some odd posts, no one pays attention to me. :( But when you remember my question about the iBook/Powerbook, it proves me wrong. Thank you for remembering. :)

Back to the subject at hand.....I did decide to get the 12" Powerbook. It just seemed like a better value after doing a lengthy comparison from everything from clock speed to the speed of the ATA interface.

And it looks so good. :) I will be so happy by tomorrow.

5. hugemullens thread starter macrumors 6502a

hugemullens

I don't have a screw driver to get to the airport slot :( i'll be able to tell you the airport reception tommorow.

6. skymaXimus macrumors regular

The reception on my 12" PowerBook isn't as good as my dad's pismo g3 500mhz. The 12 PB has great reception, but the Pismo puts it to shame. Sometimes i can't even get a reception on my 12" and my dad's pismo will have like 2 bars on the airport meter. The reception on the 12" is comparable to other PC laptops I've used w/ a PC 802.11b card.

7. Coca-Cola macrumors 6502

I know this is a weak question, but, how is gaming on the 12" alpowerbook? I would love a portable, my ultimate justification is playing warcraft 3, and starwars jedi knight 2. Maybe I should just get a xbox and save some money. But I would love to take my mac with me. How is the screen? You said it wasn't too small. How does it compare to a G3 iMac?

8. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

congrats! i noticed in your signature that you also have a PowerMac... is that setup good for you? having the PowerMac at home and being able to take the PB with you? i've got a TiBook, but i'm thinking of selling it and having a desktop as well as a 12" PB that i can take with me.

do you ever get files mixed up, not knowing which ones are on the PM and which ones are on the PB?

sorry to get kinda off the subject, but i'm just curious.:)

9. hugemullens thread starter macrumors 6502a

hugemullens

I put warcraft 3 on it and it plays very smoothly. i was surprised how well. Screen feels a little small at times with it, but not too bad. it also seems to do fairly well with Final Cut Express, but i havent done a whole lot yet. I've never really seen or played with a G3 imac so i can't tell you. I haven't sync'd the files yet, but i'll use .Mac for most of it to help me out. Does anybody know how to network the powermac and powerbook via firewire?? i wanna get my mp3's and a few other things moved? tell me like i'm 2 years old cause i have no idea how to do it. thanks.

10. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

I've had my 12" PowerBook for 3 weeks now, and I love it. Not a scratch yet.

The AirPort reception isn't as good as the iBook's, but it's much better than the titanium's (from what I heard.)

As for games, it handles Quake 3 arena no problem (I know it's kinda old, but it's a good benchmark.)

I didn't know you needed a screwdriver to get to the airport slot. I just took out the battery, and opened the latch. You need a screwdriver for RAM, though.

The 12" PowerBook is just too cool. You can see my sig for my last words (on the powerbook, that is)...

11. hugemullens thread starter macrumors 6502a

hugemullens

dude. I need to read the manual. THANKS SO MUCH!

12. Coca-Cola macrumors 6502

I am so very close to ordering one tonight. I will have to put it on my credit card though. This is a tough call. What to do?

13. hugemullens thread starter macrumors 6502a

hugemullens

ok folks. I GOT AIRPORT!! i feel like a putz not knowing that, but thanks for the info. Airport is pretty good. I get nearly full strengh upstairs, i;d give it a 8 out of 10. The mouse button sticks a bit, but other than that its perfect. I'm in love.

14. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

You think you are a putz? Then what does this question make me?

I need to know....does AirPort work through walls? Or does it just bounce off them until it makes a connection. I know, dumb question-but I just don't know.

Just a few hours longer.....

15. hugemullens thread starter macrumors 6502a

hugemullens

Yes it does. Its 2.4 GHZ, the same as many cordless phones. So it works through walls, i am upstairs and my base station is downstairs (dlink 614+). So yeah, you can get through a few walls, but big thick ones might slow ya down or drop a signal. And its a good question, how else are ya gonna know. I;d still like to know how to use firewire for large transfers.

16. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

If you have another FireWire equipped Mac, you can startup your PowerBook holding down the "t" key, and this will start it in FireWire Target Disk Mode, which basically turns the computer into a firewire drive. You can access the hard drives from any other FireWire Mac just by connecting them.

If you have a firewire hard drive, it should just be a matter of plugging it in, and making sure that your computer can read the filesystem.

17. hugemullens thread starter macrumors 6502a

hugemullens

Thanks man, i'll give that a try.

18. Gidman macrumors member

New York, the City so nice they named it twice
    12"

I recieved mine last week and am thrilled with it as well.

I am looking into airport but want to share the network through my apartment building with neighbors (all splitting the cost of the Cable and modem...) Do you think it would work for that application? I am thinking of adding Dr. Bott's Omni Antenna.

Gid

19. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

20. ian559 macrumors member

Two weeks and counting since I got mine. With all the talk on all the boards about the 17inch its nice to see talk of my new baby. I luv it!!!!!!
    Games play great on mine. I beat warcraft on it yesterday (took me 2 week :mad: ) It ran a lot better on my new powerbook than it did on my g4 733 quicksilver!!!!!

21. JSRockit macrumors 6502a

JSRockit

I've been using one since Feb 1st. It is a great laptop...now if Apple would just bring out that 970 15" pBook...I'd be set.

22. cubist macrumors 68020

I've got a titanium and a cube but I saw that aluminum 12" at Micro Center and I'm telling you, I have never seen such a beautiful computer. The titanium looks fine, but feels delicate, especially its hinges. The alubook has such a solid feel, it's the first laptop I've ever seen that I thought I could carry around without any case. The way it opens and shuts... (sigh) What a great machine...

23. Tommy! macrumors regular

I got my yaoBook on the third of March. God, I love that thing so much! It's the best Mac i've owned yet (and I haven't said that since my iMac rev. c).

I am actually typing on my Revision c iMac now because when my pb went through airport security in san francisco (outbound) they put some device on it, and it totally screwed it over, the harddrive wouln't mount! So i get back from vacation, with my new airport-equipped pb, and 2 days before i start back at school (where they have airport) my computer is useless! :'( it was terrible! but i sent it out to apple for data recovery/ hd repair just today, so i should have him (yao ming i call him) back in about 5 days! I'm sooo excited!

Hope everyone else likes theirs as much as i do, and if you happen to be flying to/from san francisco... be careful! and dont let an old white guy wipe come kind of electric pad over it...

24. JSRockit macrumors 6502a

JSRockit

Yeah...well...add the 12" pBook to your collection and you have three of the nicest Apples ever made. I wouldn't stress it though...you have a wonderful set-up.

25. mogrefy macrumors member

Monday!!

Just purchased a 12" powerbook being shipped to me as I wait this weekend - should be here monday. This will be my first mac and I'm totally stoked to have this awesome new system for all my class work on the go.