I got a call from the Dean campaign

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by SilentPanda, Jan 20, 2004.

1. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I finally registered to vote a few weeks ago. And with registering came my first political phone call (I put undecided as my political party).

I was on my way to Chicago yesterday (I live in Iowa) and I got a call from the Dean campaign. They wanted me to go to the caucuss. Of course I couldn't as I was en route to Chicago... the lady on the other end of the phone was quite for Dean. Then she proceeded to tell me that Bush was a "danger to the American people". This sort of took me aback. So I replied by telling her that "I'm actually quite a fan of Bush". She responded with, "Well then I've obviously called the wrong person. Sorry." Then she hung up. She put down the President, got snippy with me (it was a very angry tone) after I told her I liked Bush, and then she hung up on me.

Is this how political phone calls go? If I was gung-ho Dean then why would she want to talk to me? Shouldn't she want to convince me that Dean is better than Bush? I'm not too sure about this whole campaign trail junk. :confused:

2. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

They're trying to get the stupid and weak minded to vote for Dean. By telling lies, they make Bush seem like an evil monster, and claim that Dean is this country's savior :rolleyes:

Welcome to politics.

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

how is 'bush is a danger to the american people' a lie?

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

My advice is to lie to pollsters. Tell them the complete opposite of what you believe. If more of us lied to them and they wern't as accurate anymore, the polititians would have to take their own positions rather than sticking their finger in the wind every time they make a decision.

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

But this wasn't a pollster call, it was a political solicitation. I'm not a party member, but my wife is, and she made the mistake of donating to the party some years ago. So now they make some pretty aggressive telephone pitches for more money, which I find objectionable and she doesn't like either. Since political organizations have an unrestricted right to call, the only effective response I can think to use is to tell them that if they call again, that you'll not only never send them another dime, you'll make a point of voting for the other guy.

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well you still have an unrestricted right to hang up on them!

Unless, of course, the Patriot Act has been modified again.;)

7. SilentPanda thread starter Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

It just sorta bothers me that if these are the kind of people that Dean allows to make phone calls on his behalf (albiet indirectly) what kind of ill sounding people are going to work for him. I'm already voting for Bush unless something else better turns up but man... it just got on my nerves that they would call our President who is doing a decent job (I won't say excellent but I won't say meager) of his job a "danger to the American people". :rolleyes:

8. vwcruisn macrumors regular

I must repeat zims question as it still has not been answered.

9. DavisBAnimal macrumors member

I know it has been said many times here, but perhaps instead of asking this question flat out, it would be best to point out the ways in which Bush is a danger to the country, and then debate. I mean, what are you supposed to say to "how is Bush not a danger to the country?" other than "I don't think Bush is dangerous to this country because I haven't heard of any dangers he has caused us". Not everyone is as exposed to the relatively underground media and well articulated criticisms which convey compelling arguments as to the dangers of the Bush administration.

I don't think it's possible to answer that question until someone first outlines the ways in which Bush IS a danger. Then we can have a real debate - none of this "your a Bush supporter? You idiot!" garbage that gets tossed around here.

And besides, SilentPanda was making a great point about the tone of political solicitations - is it not possible to discuss this issue without having to jump on the poor guy because he is a Bush fan?

Let's try to be fair here.

Davis

10. SilentPanda thread starter Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I'm not even necessarily a Bush fan. I'm just not seeing where he is our enemy. I don't know squat about politics. I was simply very put off by the fact that somebody from Dean's campaign made (to me) an unjustified statement that Bush was my enemy and I should detest him (part in words and part in tone). Then when I told her I had no current problems with the Bush administration she basically told me off and hung up on me. I honestly wanted to know what Dean had to offer me that Bush does not. What wrongs Dean is planning on making right. But instead I got harsh overtones along with being hung up on. To me, that's terribly immature. I tend to be a ciivl person and don't mind a civil voice. But she gave me none hence bringing her presidential candidate down in my eyes instead of lifting him up as she most likely would have wanted.

Again, I'm not "Bush or Bust". I'm simply, this brand of jam tastes fine, why should I try the other?

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

These callers think they are talking to party loyalists, and they're aiming to get them all riled up. This is how the system works, I'm afraid. It's also why I'm not a member of a party.

12. SilentPanda thread starter Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Weel if she wanted me to dislike the very small portion of what I've seen of Dean's campaign (a phone call) then her message got through.

13. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

most of the articles i link to come from: yahoo, NYT, CNN, Wash Post, BBC, LA Times, Houston Chronicle, Chicago Sun-Times

14. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i don't say this to be mean, but you're exactly the problem. you don't know squat about politics, yet you think bush is doing a decent job.

on what are you basing that?

15. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Silent Panda,

Sometimes in the heat of campaigns you have people working phones who have no people skills. Every campaign I've every been with gives the callers a script to work with that tries to make sure that they are polite to the people they call. I know that there are problems that take place in carrying this out, but I would like to pose another possibility. Sometimes other campaigns call people, especially folks who are "undecided" and pretend to be from another campaign in order to alienate them. I don't know if that is the case with your phone call, but it also makes no sense for the Dean campaign to be calling anyone other than registered Democrats on the eve of the caucus. Just a thought.

16. DavisBAnimal macrumors member

I respect that - I wasn't trying to imply any sort of lack of legitimacy to yours, or anyones postings or citations. But you know as well as I do that the most scathing articles that eloquently and directly describe the dangers of the Bush administration, if present in the mainstream media, are generally burried pretty deep. It would be reasonable to assume that without blaring, front page headlines detailing some of Bush's dangerous policies as consistantly as they come about, the average Joe-Watches-the Evening-News-Sometimes won't ever be subjected to the type of critcism that is being leveled against Bush on a daily basis in lesser known, lesser watched, and lesser appreciated venues.

Davis

17. SilentPanda thread starter Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I'm not basing it on much of anything. Honestly. But I haven't really disliked any of our presidents thus far... I just think she could have backed up her statement to convince me that he is indeed my enemy instead of hanging up on me. If he's not doing a good job and I don't know about it I think she should have the decency to tell me why. It's certainly not her job to keep me informed about politics but to tell me he's a danger to me and then hanging up on me doesn't sway me. If I don't care and she wants me to care she should give me reason to care. 'Cause... I don't really care.

18. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i haven't said it, but i agree with you that she was rude and what she said and did was uncalled for.

i think it reflects badly on her, i'd hesitate to say it reflects badly on dean. it takes volunteers to win a campaign and i wouldn't expect too many to be turned away by any campaign.

19. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

So, how is Bush a threat to our country?

I'd also say that 'dumb' voters are better than 'self proclaimed smart, know-it-all voters', because the dumb ones aren't into the conspiracy theories, and aren't blinded by the completely biased views of their party...

I think people should make themselves open to all sides, and then based on what each candidate says, they make their vote on whoever they feel will do the best job. After all, isn't that how voting is supposed to work? Vote for whomever deals with your issues best, not who can trash talk all the other guys, and not really be clear on what he wants to do...

I'm not voting for Bush because I don't want any democrats in office. I'm voting for him because his views are closest to mine.

20. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

off the top of my head...

- security concerns directed to iraq instead of securing US ports, chemical plants and nuclear plants

- rolled back environmental protections

- running huge deficits

- net job loss

- made drugs more expensive for some seniors

- overextended the military

- removed consitutional protections from some citizens

oh, are you talking to me? i decide on the issues, thank you.

then you'll understand why i probably won't be voting for him

your turn -- how is bush _not_ a threat to the country?

21. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

one more question for you --

in the SOTU tonight, bush claimed that jobs were being added to the economy.

now, there's still a net of 2-3 million jobs lost since he took office. tom daschle mentioned that, in december, there were 1000 net jobs added.

now that you see the numbers, do you think it's fair of bush to make the statement he did? is it at all misleading? and if not, are these the sort of views to which you personally adhere?

22. vwcruisn macrumors regular

Sort of off topic, but it reminds me a bit of gas prices. When the oil companies want to raise the price of gasoline, they usually make the prices a LOT higher and people get angry. So lets say gas went from $1.50 a gallon to $2.00 (numbers used just for an example). After the $2.00 price has been around for a month or two, the price is lowered to $1.75 and everyone is overjoyed. But really the companies jacked up prices by $0.25 and are claiming they just cut them. Sad thing is, like Bush's claim of jobs being added, many people buy into this when if you would stop and think for a moment, your common sense would tell you otherwise.

23. g5man macrumors newbie

I think he was refering to the unemployment numbers.

http://66.216.126.164/nrof_buzzcharts/buzzchart200401200852.asp

24. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Re: I got a call from the Dean campaign

Ever think she just had the wrong number/person?

25. SilentPanda thread starter Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Re: Re: I got a call from the Dean campaign

Well she called my phone number and addressed me by name first and last (and my last name ain't Johnson). So I'm assuming she had the right person. I had just registered to vote a week or so prior. So all my info is current and this has been my phone number for a good 2 to 3 years now.