I Got A Mis-Printed $100 Dollar Bill; Is It Worth Anythin'?

Discussion in 'Community' started by SamIchi, Oct 4, 2004.

1. SamIchi macrumors 68030

Aug 1, 2004
    I scanned it, but don't have a place to host it, maybe someone can give me their E-mail so I send it to them.

The left side of the face side has like a double print dealy goin' on.
    Well anyways, would it be worth anythin?
  2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    As long as you shrink it down, you can upload pictures here.

If it's too big it'll tell you what to shrink it down to.

You can do a couple/few attachements at once, so you can also add a zoomed in section of the misprint.

When you post there is a manage attachments button down below the text window.
  3. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

Jul 17, 2004
    St. Louis
    host it at http://www.imageshack.us/

I want to take a look at it.
    It should be worth pretty much seeing as some mis-stamped coins(quarters/saquejua (sp?)dollar) have gone for many times their face value.
  4. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

Aug 1, 2004
  5. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

Aug 1, 2004
    Here's a full view....

Attached Files:

6. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Aug 19, 2004
    $100 dollar bill, hmm...

How about you send it to me, and I'll let you know? :)

(Really though, I'm sure it will be worth something. Some money collectors really dig that stuff.)
  7. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

Jan 7, 2002
    2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    pretty cool...

misprints and such vary greatly in value. pennies such as the 1955 and 1972 double die can be worth quite a bit but other die mistakes such as off center strikes aren't worth that much.

for whatever reason, paper "numistics" don't seem to command the prices that coins do...go figure. i'd take it by a few coin dealers and see what they say. i can tell you for sure it's worth at least $100.00 ;)
  8. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

Jul 17, 2004
    St. Louis
    It seems like the top boarder is uneven.

I don't see the red and blue fibers usually in the paper.
    Check for the watermark too.
    Where did you get it? Bank? ATM? Drug Dealer?
  9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    With the Itaglio printing process, there is usually some bleed through and creates some texture that you can see on the other side of the bill.

Usually it's not this clear...

Itaglio is a high plate pressure process, and you'd usually be able to catch some of the bill texture on the opposite side -- usually very little ink. But dirt does get attracted to the ridges.
  10. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

Jul 27, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    this is wierd, the first hundred dollar bill that i've had in months i got for playing a gig over the weekend, and the front is not centered, there is about a third to a fourth of the amount of space on the bottom than there is on the top. i assume that this is just a run-of-the-mill defect, and nothing like an upsidedown printed stamp, right?
  11. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    Take it to a bank and see if its a real bill - you might be out of luck if its counterfeit. If its a real bill and a misprint - its worth something.

12. homerjward macrumors 68030

May 11, 2004
    fig tree
    i'd say it's worth about a hundred bucks :p or
    2 copies of iLife '04 or
    1 garageband jampack of your choice or
    100 cokes or
    1/11 of a 12" ibook or
    2 pairs of jeans or
    67 gallons of gas or
    5 demigodships here at mr
    33 ultimate cheeseburgers
    5 espn sports games or
    1 scanner or
    1 all-in-one printer or
    6 firefox t-shirts or
    4 packs of bari sax reed or
    would you like that in change?

im just kidding. :p if it's real im sure it's worth a significant amount of money
  13. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    Hmm, if a bank says it's counterfeit can you still keep it. If not I would try to get rid of it somehow. Just spend it at your local gas station and get some change back, let it be their problem.

14. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    The thread on the left should say 100 and the watermark can be seen on the right.

But the thing they rarely every duplicate in the impression of the front portrait that can be felt on the back, I think the left side of Ben Franklin's shirt should show up as ridges on the back of the bill.
  15. cb911 macrumors 601

Mar 12, 2002
    BrisVegas, Australia
    ha ha. :D i've never seen anything like that before.

it also looks like it's a old note...been in circulation for a while. no one else cared about it, so i guess it's not really that special.

just be careful about spending any counterfeit currency, i'm pretty sure you can get into trouble for that if you know it's a fake and you pass it on as the real stuff. :eek: