I got a new 4th gen 40GB iPod

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by G5orbust, Jul 21, 2004.

1. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

Hey guys!

I had recently (last week) gotten a 3G 15 gig ipod. Well, upon hearing about the 4g ipods, I quickly became bent on returning my used once ipod. So I did today and I mentioned to the guy behind the counter at the Apple Store that I was in the market for a new one. He said "Great, we just got them in today. Which did you want?" So naturally, I went on a mission with my mother to let me spend the 100$ more (well really like 60$ more because this comes with a dock) and get a 40 instead of a 20 gig. Sure enough she let me. Now Im the proud owner of a new 4G 40GB iPod.

Pictures upon request.

2. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

nice, enjoy!

personally, i "need" an iPod, but i'm probably going to get a Mini, in a bit. i just can't come to like the chrome back - it scratches so easily that an external case is almost a must - which adds small bulk...

within next 6 months, i have two road trips of over 2000 miles (Michigan to Seattle), so iPod would be quite nice...

i'd like to see it in person first, though. i didn't think i'd get an iPod when i saw it - but once i learned how sleek it is, i just had to have one... :) the 4 th gen. is even more sleeker than the 3rd gen, no?

3. magid macrumors 6502

magid

please post some pictures. also, if you have ever used a mini how does the new 4th gen wheel feel/work in comparison to the mini?

4. G5orbust thread starter macrumors 65816

G5orbust

Alright Ill have the pictures up in a couple.

I have a mini as well (its my dad's) and I think the click wheel has been improved upon in the 4G ipod. Its less sensative in the 4g, so menus are a bit easier to scroll (you dont scroll through the entire list of menus when you move your finger slightly). The 4g's click buttons go down deeper and feel more solid. Other than that theyre essentially the same.

5. zakee00 macrumors regular

zakee00

hey ive got a question...when do you think best buy will have these ipods? i would like one before sunday, because i am going on a trip...and i have bestbuy gift certificates that need to be used up, so that is where i have to buy it. im looking for a 20gb 4g. i also need an iskin case, but no word on when they will have a 4g case :(

6. G5orbust thread starter macrumors 65816

G5orbust

As far as I know Best Buy doesnt have its program with Apple anymore.

And the pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Sabbath macrumors 6502a

Sabbath

Awesome, thanks for posting the pics. Could I be really annoying and ask for a side on shot. I never really liked the 3G 40Gb it was just to thick, how do you find this one thickness-wise compared with your 3G?

8. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

Great pics, thanks for those. I hope they have them at my local Apple Store too!

9. G5orbust thread starter macrumors 65816

G5orbust

Well my 3G 15GB was thinner for obvious reasons but this one is a definite change from my 1G 5GB :)

Heres the side shots you wanted (with a ruler and a comparsion)

with a ruler:

[​IMG]

with a quarter for comparison:

[​IMG]

10. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

Damn, that's nasty. Finger prints all over that thing already. Well, for one thing it doesn't look as good as the 3G iPod. For some reason, the click wheel just doesn't work on the full size iPod like it does on the Mini.

11. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

i think this should have been the top priority for the 4G if they knew they weren't changing anything technically, they should have AT LEAST used something that doesn't blemish UPON SKIN CONTACT and remain blemished forever (unless you are anal retentive beyond imagination). i agree the 4G doesn't do it for me, i still think the 1G was the best design ever (aside from moving parts). i personally feel the 4G should have never been released, what a crock. nothing new, just change the layout....whoopee! apple really needs a company to develop a decent alternative to bitch slap them out of complacency.

12. G5orbust thread starter macrumors 65816

G5orbust

The fingerprints are not my fault. I did have to remove it from the dock to take these photos for you and there are, as of yet, no cases available for it, not even from Apple.

13. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

thank you for the pics,
    i like your new toy quite alot :)

14. Sabbath macrumors 6502a

Sabbath

Thanks for going to the effort for the side on pics, most appreciated. Hope you have fun with your iPod, and hopefully my mini will arrive today :D

15. Koree macrumors 6502

Nice iPod!

But i think i'll stick with my 3g 15 gig, i just don't like the click wheel. (yeah im nuts) I am probably gonna get one with my powerbook, (cram and jam) and just give the 4g to my family. (i am even more nuts!)

16. Koree macrumors 6502

And for the ipod owner

Use ice cream from radtech, www.radtech.us mac addict says it makes your ipod look like new, there are probably other cleaners out there, but mac addict suggested it. I need to get a bottle for myself!

17. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

4G isn't a "crock". View this thread.

18. G5orbust thread starter macrumors 65816

G5orbust

I have to agree with that, especially the button thing. I hated the way they looked, felt, and worked (which some of the time they didnt)! Thats why I jumped at the chance to return mine when Apple came out with the 4G iPods.