I got a new car!!!

Discussion in 'Community' started by jdechko, Jul 28, 2005.

1. jdechko macrumors 68040

I am so excited... I just bought my new car Monday night (yeah, its Thursday, but with work and stuff...).

Its a 2004 VW Passat GL. Its got the 1.8T with a 5-Speed auto w/ Tiptronic. And I love the color (grey). Now all I need to do is find the Apple stickers from my fiance's Shuffle and I'll be good to go. I will post some pictures when I get around to taking some. :D :D :D

2. geese macrumors 6502a

geese

Congratulations! My dads got a blue 1998 Passat with similar spec.

Its great! The rides a bit lumpy though but the black leather interior is ace.

Enjoy your new motor.

3. jdechko thread starter macrumors 68040

Well, the ride is a lot more quiet than my 94 Jeep Grand Cherokee. :)

4. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

Awesome the 1.8T motor is suppose to perform really well in that car. I myself just got a car also (in April actually...but whatever), 2001 Ford ZX2 5speed manual transmission. I love driving standard shift, never tried a tiptronic though.

5. jdechko thread starter macrumors 68040

Yeah, the 1.8T really has some power in it for such a little engine, but the turbo helps out a lot. Overall, t's really quiet except for when you decide you want to pass an 18-wheeler at 85mpih. The engine just revs up and goes. As for the tiptronic, I think that's what really sold me on the car. I've never driven a manual transmission before (and the tiptronic really doesn't count). There is no clutch to use, so driving it is a lot like playing a video game... just push the stick up and it upshifts, pull it down and it downshifts. Plus the transmission will automatically downshift for you if the RPM's get too low, so it's almost like a hybrid transmission.

6. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

Yup, my dad's audi has the same transmission, and has these little buttons on the steering wheel that also control it in addition to the shifter. It is fun to drive, and a lot less work downtown (especially since you can just put it in auto), where a regular manual can just be annoying. I really gotta try this new dual clutch system too:

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=16&article_id=7869&page_number=1

7. jdechko thread starter macrumors 68040

Ooo... I wish I had the buttons. It's a lot safer keeping both hands on the wheel. But that is exactly why I love the car. I spend a lot of time sitting in Atlanta traffic, so using a manual would be a pain. But there are several open roads with high(er) speed limits, that make driving a manual a lot of fun. Its like buying 2 cars for the price of one: A professional-looking car for daytime use, and a sports(like) car for the weekend.

8. _bnkr612 macrumors 6502a

_bnkr612

Can I ask how much you spent?

Also, make sure the sticker is centered and away from where you would scrape if you are living in climates that allow freezing...

Oh, get a ground effects kit and roof racks (Thule is better), they look rad. My friend's Bora (Jetta) has a nice kit. He needs new wheels though.

Does it have the monsoon system in it?

Congrats. Nice autos are fun.

9. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

What? No pics?

Congrats on the car. I recently got one too - Tuesday actually - but its my wife's and I still haven't driven it. I'll have to take some pics and post it later.

D

10. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

I know someone who has the GLS 1.8t- gotta love the sound of the turbo :).

My mom had the GLX W8 Passat (now discontinued). Mechanically it did ok. But it always had little wierd problems like the trunk mechanism breaking and such. She just sold it and bought a lexus.

I think VWs have really good fit and finish especially for a not and extremely expensive car. They are expensive to fix though, 50,000 mile tune up was like $1,300, trunk fix- $600, $80,000 tune up- $3,000. $61 for an oil change too.

Good Luck. They're nice cars, just pricey to maintain.

11. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Why bother w/ tiptronics when you could have a manual? ;)
    Congrats! My boyfriend's dad drove one for awhile-- a bit big for my taste, but a really nice, smooth, ride. Ooh, not trying to be a big ol' downer, but IF you have troubles w/ cold starts (i.e. when you just turn on the engine after several hours) and the car is running roughly, might wanna bring it into a dealership and see if you qualify for the recall on coils. But otherwise, happy motoring!

12. derboy macrumors regular

Wow, It certainly gets a lot of praise from the american peeps.

In the uk, that car says, Middle Management

Enjoy

13. jdechko thread starter macrumors 68040

It was used and I really didn't have much of a choice. Anyway, i didnt really want a manual, because i do a lot of driving in traffic.

I'll get some pics soon.

Nope... I'm in Atlanta. Very little snow here. Anyway, I hate the cold.

14. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

The tiptronic transmission I think is wierd. Its not like a standard because there is no clutch, it will auto downshift, and it won't let you burn out yor engine.

I use it occasionally in my cars if I'm bored. The sport mode on cars that have it is fun- it keeps the car in gears longer when accelerating so you feel more power.

15. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks